Author Topic: knife fighting resources & training  (Read 4269 times)

Offline 2Caffeinated

• Survivor
knife fighting resources & training
« on: August 08, 2009, 05:48:20 PM »
anyone got some good resources for learning knife fighting?

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
Re: knife fighting resources & training
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 06:03:18 PM »
If you do Bit Torrent there is some good info at [Downloading these shows is considered a copyright violation and not allowed].

If you're willing to devote money to the goal, search your area martial arts schools and see if they have specific classes for knife. If you find an instructor you like but knife isn't part of their regular curriculum, find out what his "private session" rates are and get the info as you can afford it.

D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 04:26:27 PM by Roknrandy »

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 10:26:54 AM »
I think Michael Janich (also seen on "The Best Defense") is one of the more popular out there. Here is a link to his site:

http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/

He has courses, videos, and books. I haven't read any yet, but his books are on my wishlist.

Marc "Animal" MacYoung also has a little about knife fighting on his site, but be warned, he is very graphic and uses some horrible language, if that sort of thing bothers you. I do think he has some good info though, not just on knife fighting, but just your "down and dirty" type street fights. The link is for the knife fighting specifically, but if you go to the homepage, there is other good stuff on there. He also has some books on my amazon wishlist.

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifefighting.html

Offline 2Caffeinated

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 10:55:26 PM »
thanks khristopher23 & donaldj +1 to you.  It seems like this would be as good of a skill to have as gun self defense, due to the availability of knifes and lack of regulation.

Offline phil_in_cs

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 07:37:11 AM »
This is something difficult to pick up from a book or video. I've trained with Tom Sotis http://www.edgedweaponsolutions.com/ and the class was excellent. Very painful, but you won't learn how to do this sort of thing in your easy chair. IIRC Tactical Response has edged weapon training as well. There are many other trainers out there.

And wrt to Pirate Bay, please keep in mind all these trainers are literally operating on a shoestring. The sale of a single DVD or class spot is noticeable to them. If you steal a DVD by downloading it from Pirate Bay, and find it useful, please purchase a legit copy to help keep that trainer in business.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 08:56:32 AM »
And wrt to Pirate Bay, please keep in mind all these trainers are literally operating on a shoestring. The sale of a single DVD or class spot is noticeable to them. If you steal a DVD by downloading it from Pirate Bay, and find it useful, please purchase a legit copy to help keep that trainer in business.

Agreed.

The most important thing to remember in knife fighting is:

1) You WILL be cut. You can't let that bother you, and can learn places to take the damage so it isn't as impairing.
2) Knife fighting is FAST. As Phil pointed out, it is nearly impossible to pick up speed and action/reaction training from a book or video.

That being said, the dojo is the best place to pick up technique, and hopefully the instructor allows some type of action/reaction training or sparring to build up your reaction times.

Offline phil_in_cs

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 09:13:27 AM »
Get yourself a couple of NOK trainers, and spar with a buddy. You will be amazed how fast it happens even with untrained people. You can put chalk on the edges of the trainers of you want to see the cuts, but cuts are usually obvious to both people.

It is a great aerobic workout, too!

http://trainingblades.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=138