Author Topic: Cetme Bayonet turned field knife  (Read 4146 times)

Offline nafterize

• Survivalist Mentor
Cetme Bayonet turned field knife
« on: July 18, 2009, 04:24:29 PM »
Hi everyone!

First, I have to admit: I've been in love with the Cetme bayonet for a long time. I don't know if it's the bolo-style blade, the feeling of just enough heft or the well-constructed scabbard... but it called to me. Years ago I picked up one really cheap (they can be had for $5 on AimSurplus.com) and stuck it in the Box of No Return. A few weeks ago I decided that I would finish my evil plan... and that was to make the bayonet into a field knife.

So I got out the Lansky system and started grinding away at a 30-degree angle. Grinding, grinding, grinding... and I was about to give up, because the blade thickens considerably near the point. I was saved as I perched on the brink of abandoning my quest for Cetme field knife awesomeness by an angel... sort of. I have a friend that calls up once in a blue moon and will talk for HOURS with little to no prompting.

Several hours of mindless grinding, "uh-huh's" and "you don't say's" later I was victorious! It's sharp enough to slice through a sheet of paper across the length of the blade.

I'll test it out the next time I get outta the city.   :)

Specs:
Weight: A little over a pound (based on incredibly unscientific measurements)
Length: 13 1/4"
Blade Length: 8 3/4"
Blade thickness at Spine: 3/8"
Coating: Phosphate (I think)
Steel: I would guess high-carbon, not very bendy (based on extremely unscientific tests)

The bayonet in its' sheath (Sheath is plastic (green part), metal (black parts) and canvas (frog)). The sheath also has a leg tie down which is similar to cotton shoelace.

Out of the sheath. I removed the attachment mechanism as I don't own a Cetme and I am a big fan of lanyards. A little drilling was all it took to get the components out. The lanyard is green paracord with a cordlock. The finger grooves fit my meaty hand nicely and the mounting hole makes a good solid guard. I imagine that this would also make it easy to make into a spear. Also a handy place to wrap the lanyard so it's out of the way.

What I assume is a Spanish armory marking.

Another marking on the opposite side of the blade with a serial number.

Goober Pyle

Re: Cetme Bayonet turned field knife
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 05:39:56 PM »
no pics of the whole knife?

what did you finish it with - looks good.

Offline nafterize

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 06:02:38 PM »
no pics of the whole knife?

what did you finish it with - looks good.

Thanks!

You have to scroll to the side to see the whole knife pic. Alternatively, go here:
http://nafterize.org/misc/cetmebayo2.jpg

I didn't do anything to the knife's finish. It looks like a black phosphate finish.

Goober Pyle

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 06:32:57 PM »
ah - got it, I'm small screen challenged and sometimes miss the sliders.