Author Topic: RAT knife owners  (Read 5492 times)

Offline TysonC

• Survivor
RAT knife owners
« on: June 21, 2009, 03:01:38 PM »
Anybody here down with the RAT?

I learned about them from Dave Canterbury's youtube videos and bought a RC-4 before starting work at a wilderness camp. Let me tell you, it is awesome. After one of the kids attempted to use an axe on a counselor we had no kid-use wood splitting tools - so I used my knife for batoning and chopping fire wood. It holds an edge and can be absolutely abused. It's kydex sheath is great and altogether it's fairly inexpensive. I got mine from knives ship free for about $110. Great quality AMERICAN product.

I plan on getting an Izula for neck carry and ultra fine work.

Offline haloblue

• Survivor
  • IAM: not amused
Re: RAT knife owners
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 10:43:16 AM »
I have two RAT's from their Ontario days before they branched out and started their own thing: An RC-3 in D2 & R-TAK in D2.

Those two get heavy use out of me and the rest of the Halo clan. They are in a sense unstoppable knives.

I got my hands on the new RAT's at Blade a few weeks ago and was even more impressed. I'll probably pick up an RC-3 in the very near future. The little Izula gets rave reviews all over the place as well. You cannot go wrong with a RAT product. Also at Blade, met both guys from RAT. Excellent folk.

Offline 13F10

• Prepper
    • Flag Of Conviction
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 06:44:38 PM »
Dave is obviously a knowledgeable guy... the only thing I SERIOUSLY question is his promotion of that POS Tom Brown Tracker. What a over-hyped, useless "tool" that thing is. Maybe Tom Brown saw a vision of "grandfather" making one with the help of the spirits of Teddy Roosevelt and Daniel Boone?

Short story on RAT and Ontario... they made his blades for some time under contract. RAT wanted improvements, Ontario didn't want the additional costs.  RAT bailed to get Rowen to mfg for them, Ontario legally got to keep the "RAT" name, thus RAT knives are "RC-x".  Anyone that's compared both knows the RAT versions are superior. I've got the RC-5 and the Izula, AWESOME. Sooner or later I'll add the rest of the line.

Offline TysonC

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 07:00:06 PM »
13F10 - I completely agree with your statement regarding Dave's endorsement of the TBT (pos). I like almost everything the guy does on a primitive level, but he had a few vids on this knife I just couldn't get behind. I don't think he's a Tom Brown believer, though.

Glad to see other RAT owners out there. I like to spread their name around because of the bang for your buck. I mean I could not believe after all the beatings I've given this poor thing plus the exposure to highly humid and sometimes wet conditions that this knife has had no rust issues nor any bending or breakage. And after all that it's actually affordable for the average Joe. Just incredible.

Offline 13F10

• Prepper
    • Flag Of Conviction
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 08:38:41 PM »
bending or breakage.
Do either and they'll give you another one, no questions asked.

Offline PBRstreetgang

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 11:19:12 PM »
Sorry saw this thread after I started the HEST topic; check it out - RAT fans may be very pleased!

sage0925

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 11:47:36 PM »
Excuse me, but could I get a pic? My husband and I haven't a clue as to what you guys are talking about. And he does so love his sharp pointy things...lol.   :D

Thanks!
Sage

Offline PBRstreetgang

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 09:34:52 AM »
RAT cutlery is a high quality, solid brand of knives.  I'm not a collector but know they have a very loyal following: http://www.ratcutlery.com/

The HEST knife I was talking about above is here: http://dpxgear.com/

Cheers

sage0925

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 09:38:35 AM »
Thanks for the link!

Offline Korb

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 10:27:11 AM »
Whenever I'm out and about in the woods I always have my Rat 3 on my belt.  Its a great little knife and held up to everything I've thrown at it.  I bought it "used" (like new) from a guy on another board and he had 2 more sheaths for it.  So I have one for my belt, one mounted with molle to my pack and another that I haven't found a home for yet.  But it makes it easy to switch from belt to pack.  If I'm carrying a heavy pack I don't like anything on my waist to rub against.