Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Emergency Preparations

On Campus Prepping For College Students

<< < (11/14) > >>

osubuckeye4:

--- Quote from: SlimJim on May 24, 2013, 11:09:16 AM ---AVOID STUDENT LOANS!!!!

The number one prep, not exciting, and it won't fit in a bugout bag.

Think it over. It's unlikely you will experience a collapse or SHTF situation in college, but more likely within the 15 years after college. BUT, your ability to be resilient/prepared in later life will depend a whole LOT on your financial health... and if your financial health sucks because you took a load of college debt, you will struggle to be prepared.

So the number one thing you can do to "Be Prepared" while in college, is to avoid student loans, so you can be prepared later.

(it's almost like I'm speaking from experience, huh?)
SJ

--- End quote ---

While no one should take out more loans than they are capable of paying back, student loans are still being given out a very reasonable rates and should be used to bridge the gap if a student needs to use them for a worthwhile purpose (getting a good degree in a field that is hiring).

The problems I see (I work in education, specifically student finance as an auditor for a group of universities), are the following:

1) Students pursuing degrees in fields that are not hiring. I see some kids taking out $60,000 in loans to get a theater degree. It doesn't make any sense. That's not to bash peple with theater degrees, but how many companies are hiring people with bachelors degrees in theaer?

If you have the resources to pay for a theater degree yourself and you're passionate about theater, go for it. Don't sandbag yourself with debt getting a degree that yields fields that aren't going to pay enough back to pay off that debt though.

2) Students paying top dollar for GEC's (general elective courses) and financing them through loans.

Go to community college to get your history, basic match, foreign language and culture credits. Don't shell out $300+ per credit hour at a high priced university. The basic math class at your community college rivals the basic math class at Harvard University. It is the exact same material. Algebra is algebra wherever you go. Ditto with U.S. and European history. Shell out the big money for courses in your major (and pick a smart major).

3) Students attending universities that they can't afford.

Just because you got accepted to Harvard doesn't mean you have to go there, especailly not for your first 2 yeras (where you are taking mostly elective courses and introductory courses). Go to a community college for those first 2 years and you're cutting your overall loan debt signifficantly. If you work during those two yeras, you're reducing it even more.

4) Students not using available grants/aid.

I had a student who had a full ride to any university in the state of Texas through the VA department. He decided to go to one of our schools instead and pay out of pocket. I actually went out of my way to try to talk him out of attending the school I work for, but he refused to listen to common sense.  I see this a lot with students who are working for employers that offer tuiton reimbursement, and never bother to ask/look into it. Saved a lot of students a lot of money by looking at their application, seeing they worked for a company I know offers reimbursement, and telling them to fill out the paperwork to get it.

5) Students loading up on stipends

I see so many kids who take out $20,000 to go to school... and then another $20,000 in stipends becuase the government makes it available to them. They use this money for partying, paying rent, paying cable/cell phone bills... everything outside of what it is intended for, which is school. Most people who are completely over their head in student loan debt took out a ton of stipend money on top of their tuition eligiblity. Schools are not allowed to decline stipend money as long as it does not exceed the coast of attendance.

Loans are not bad, as long as poeple are responsible. Most students who I have seen get into trouble fall into one of the 5 categories above. (that's not to say someone could follow everything above and fail, they could... but, a jet could crash into my house and kill me tonight. It could happen, it's just unlikely)

First line deleted due to unnecessarily confrontational commentary. -Nicodemus

hardpoint9:
As a college student, this thread has been incredibly helpful.  You all who've posted have made a confusing topic that doesn't get a lot of attention easier to grasp for a young person.  Thanks

ThePrepperPodcast.com:
#1. I admit that I didn't read the replies above.
#2. I would work on some basic food storage, money saving, and exit strategy and bugout scenarios.
#3. I hope I am not overstepping my boundaries if I post a link to a post that I wrote: http://cleversurvivalist.com/2013/04/10/apartment-prepper-survival-how-to-survive-food-stores-etc/

notsofast:
i'm too old for beer and partying. i used my student loans to buy guns. lmao. but seriously, having a way out is always the better option. let's face it if something bad goes down, it's cool to have two, three, four weeks worth of food, but what good is that if you're stuck in your dorm room and other students are freaking out and rioting or looting, right? because eventually they'll hit your room. personally, i live close (35 minutes) from my school and can make that treck in no time taking the back roads and cutting through the  woods, etc. so it's a little different for me. but, i also have a friend whose business is about five blocks from the school and he lives about four miles from me, so if something were to go down and couldn't get to my car i'm still pretty set on transport home. i know (because i've lived here my whole life) at least a dozen ways to get from here to there. anyway, i'm rambling...

basically i guess what i'm saying is money for bus fare, train ticket, cab.. those things are what i'd concentrate on to begin with. oh, and improvised weapons... always.

ETA: did NOT realize this thread was three years old... oh well.

Nicodemus:

--- Quote from: notsofast on October 05, 2013, 12:06:13 AM ---ETA: did NOT realize this thread was three years old... oh well.

--- End quote ---

The thread is ongoing. It's not a problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version