Author Topic: Salt-cured salad  (Read 835 times)

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
Salt-cured salad
« on: May 04, 2020, 07:15:57 AM »
We have a bowl of this in the refrigerator every week. Very simple to prepare, chopped/shredded vegetables mixed with salt and left at room temperature for a couple of hours. I use about 1 TSP of pickling salt per lb. Add a TBSP each of water, olive oil, red wine vinegar and refrigerate. Lots of onions and garlic liven it up.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
Re: Salt-cured salad
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 07:23:37 AM »
Looks good, sounds good. I need to give it a try.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 10:27:32 AM »
Does it ferment some when sitting at room temperature?  Or is the salt just to draw out some moisture and give it a "sauce"?

In that pic, I see radish, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots.  Anything else?  All fairly dense vegetables.  Any vegetables not do well in this mix? 

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 11:44:39 AM »
The difference between fermenting and salt-curing is that the lower ratio of salt in fermenting kills harmful bacteria until the healthy bacteria has time to develop, salt-cured has enough salt to kill all bacteria which results in a very crispy and well-preserved product. I called this "salt-cured"even though I use less salt than I do in fermenting, but it turns out the same, but less salty. Leaving it sit for a couple hours lets the salt extract the water, which you can drain or leave it in. Refrigeration halts it from fermenting, not an excess of salt. I don't know why it turns out so good and crispy as it does. If you salt-cure with a high ratio you will want to rinse it off.

Previously frozen vegetables will not work, I would think all vegetables would work but I didn't care for brussel sprouts, asparagus or red cabbage but love them both on the table. My favorite are red & Daikon radishes, napa/Chinese cabbage, carrots, onions, garlic, cauliflower. Most often I only use 3 or 4 different ingredients and usually cabbage, carrots & onion, garlic but change the ratio or type of cut.

The easiest way to start is to strip a carrot with a potato peeler, add some shredded cabbage, onion and salt. Always use glass.