Energy Options > Wind Power

small scale wind solutions

<< < (2/6) > >>

kuzushi:
Those deep cycle batteries are quite expensive yes?
I would love to try this but I need a good source on batteries and specs.

youtube has some videos on the subject.

stevebluff:

--- Quote from: kuzushi on October 08, 2008, 01:05:54 PM ---Those deep cycle batteries are quite expensive yes?
I would love to try this but I need a good source on batteries and specs.

youtube has some videos on the subject.

--- End quote ---

Medium cycle leisure batteries area good compromise or even the heavier duty truck batteries. If you are keeping them topped up all the time any battery will do and is better than nothing.

BR

Steve

stevebluff:

--- Quote from: Trusty Mutsi on September 24, 2008, 03:26:32 PM ---Cool, thanks. I have a lot I'd like to try: Three Sister Gardens, Weakness Drill, etc... so I'm going to start small, and work on having enough to get by for a week with no power or water, then as I ramp things up I'll get back to you.

There's a part of me that desperately wants to "catch up" in case the poop hits the fan soon. But like Jack says, I should keep a level head. I just don't want to start procrastinating :(

--- End quote ---

Hi, two things will help you a lot.
1.  look at what you can supply via none electrical means, i.e. lighting from Coleman lanterns or 12 v (wind/solar), cooking from bottled propane, heating from a wood stove. 
2.  Look to reduce your electrical drain (power budget), use low power light bulbs, better efficiency appliances, use things less..

BR

Steve

cmxterra:
I have a 400w wind generator that is tied into my little power station.

If you are wondering if wind is the way to go I would say this. What is the average windspeed where you live?
So far I get much more power from my solar panels than I do from my wind turbine. That said it is nice to have it to help keep the batteries going at night or on cloudy or stormy days when you get little sun.

As for your concern about batteries.. They are where it is really at. I am currently using 6v golf cart batteries run in series to produce 12v

The problem I have currently is that I do not have enough battery so by noon on any given day my batteries are fully charged so my panels and turbine spend too much of the day sitting idle not charging anything. So my plan is to increase my battery reserve and use more and more of that rather than grid power.

Bogota:
When I was in the states last year I tried to make my own wind generator.  I only got about half way through the project.  I made the blades and hub for them.  The day I finished that part of the project just happened to be the stillest day I could ever remember in the Texas panhandle, but this thing worked like a dream.  The hub wasn't mounted on anything so I was holding it and once it got started turning I couldn't stop it.  I turned it away from the wind, but that only slowed it down a little.  One of my friends was there (he's not that smart) and he stuck his hand out to stop it from spinning.  He didn't lose any fingers, but he jumped and hollered for a good 15 minutes.  It was priceless.  I didn't get any kind of plant hooked up to it because my vacation was short and my wife didn't want to spend it watching me work.  My question is with a hub that can spin/turn like that on a day with almost no wind will a truck alternator (like a Peterbuilt one) work for a generation plant?  Or do I have to invest in a real generator?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version