Energy Options > Wind Power

small scale wind solutions

(1/6) > >>

stevebluff:
small scale wind solutions are perfectly practical. They could power a small boat, caravan, trailer, RV, mobile home or contribute to a households supply.  they are best when combine with another alternative source , usually solar.  I am happy to go through the components of such a system if anyone is interested.

Trusty Mutsi:
I'm VERY interested! The thing is, I'm trying to figure out if wind or solar is the better option, or if I should try both.

Is it expensive to start doing this?

stevebluff:

--- Quote from: Trusty Mutsi on September 24, 2008, 10:12:13 AM ---I'm VERY interested! The thing is, I'm trying to figure out if wind or solar is the better option, or if I should try both.

Is it expensive to start doing this?

--- End quote ---

Hi, it depends on what you are trying to do?  Complete off grid living, just having some backup?  This is a simple solution we developed for teleocms use but can equally be used for a small home system. 

First task, reduce your electricity requirement. Use DC devices or replace with other power supplies, wood for cooking and/or heating. More efficient devices.  Once you have reduced your needs, you need to work out your power budget in watts.  I can help if you need it.

This power budget then defines what amount of power you need to generate from your wind/solar solution.  Also need to think about storage batteries. Deep cycle gel types are best.

There's a lot to this but you need to start some where.  Let me know when yuo have an idea of your power budget (or if you need a hand working it out).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Trusty Mutsi:
Cool, thanks. I have a lot I'd like to try: Three Sister Gardens, Weakness Drill, etc... so I'm going to start small, and work on having enough to get by for a week with no power or water, then as I ramp things up I'll get back to you.

There's a part of me that desperately wants to "catch up" in case the poop hits the fan soon. But like Jack says, I should keep a level head. I just don't want to start procrastinating :(

stevebluff:
Happy to help, just contact me when you are ready. you can start with a small solar panel, regulator and a leisure battery. Better than nothing, and it will let you run a small inverter (mains ac output from a dc battery) and use 12v dc devices like a car cell phone charger, CB or a DC florescent light.

By a wind up/solar radio and solar/shake torches (no batteries required).  A solar battery charger, rechargeable batteries (include adapter so you can use AAA in AA or C in D cell requirements).

By each one as you have some spare cash.  They are sound inverstment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version