Energy Options > Wind Power

Pneumatic wind mill

(1/2) > >>

Bushman:
My brother in law and I where talking about building a pneumatic wind mill made with PVC pipe a Check valve a tube and some old air tanks.
 I would use a old school wind mill. ( my wife really wants one ) I would build a simple PVC piston connected to. A Check valve that would pump air down a cheap plastic  pneumatic tube to an old air compressor tank. You could put as many in line as you would like. The stored compressed air would act as a battery that could power many air tools.

Air motors are cheap and easy to come by. Maybe you could retro fit a generator to be turned by a air motor. I have talked to many people about this and the more I talk about it and research it it seems like a cheap way to go for an extra source of energy.

Has anyone tried this idea? Anyone have any reasons that it would not work or maybe other uses for this kind of system.

Bolomark:
probably not very efficient you would have to be able to store a lot of CFM which would be used by an air tool very quickly.
then wait while the windmill fills it back up.

Bushman:
For me in my situation the mass amount of stored air is not that much of an issue. I have 7 100 gallon tanks. With full pressure of  150 to 200 psi that is a lot of stored energy. Many air tools use large amounts of air. Many do not. I could probably run a water pump for about 30 minutes on a full charge. That was the original idea to use the air to make enough pressure so that I could water my garden.

Bolomark:
give it a whirl. literally :)

strangetanks:
I've thought about this same thing.  To me it makes more sense to store mechanical energy as mechanical energy.

Here's the hard part in my mind.  2 things I think you would want to figure out.

First you would want some kind of transmission that would gear up your compressor to pump faster at low pressure and slower but with more torque as the pressure got higher.

Second, if you could figure out a way to fill your tanks one at a time. For example, bring the first tank up to 100 psi then the extra air would start dumping into the second tank until that one came up to pressure....ect.  That way you wouldn't have to wait a week to get up to operating pressure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version