Author Topic: wireless light switch  (Read 5150 times)

Offline Tackleberry

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Teotwawki tribe
wireless light switch
« on: February 01, 2010, 02:34:22 PM »
Here's a neat little item I picked up at amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Woods-13568-3-Outlet-Wireless-Converter/dp/B001Q9EFUU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1265059293&sr=8-5

I can turn on a light in the opposite end of the house.
Would be handy to have if you heard someone in the house, garage, shed etc...
You could light them up from a covered position & they would have no idea where you are.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
Re: wireless light switch
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 01:08:18 PM »
That is neat! I can see a purpose for it out here in the sticks!

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 12:32:37 PM »
Also consider www.smarthome.com

They have the x10 controllers and components - Radio Shack use to sell them (may still),.. I've used them for years.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
A late friend of mine built an X10 controller from scratch.  Literally from chips and capacitors and wires and a Z80 microprocessor, all his own design, with his own software written in assembler.  Now that was a heck of a DIY project!  I wish he were still alive to participate here.

One thing I've noticed about X10 devices is a lot of variation in range and reliability.  My friend's controller was able to transmit to most of our house as well as a distant outbuilding.  An old controller from Radio Shack can barely reach from one room to the next.  The receivers are similarly erratic.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 09:52:48 PM »
I have had a lot of x10 hardware over the years, some from radio shack, some form other places.

The idea is "good" - but even the good hardware seems to die within a year or two in my hands.

I think an RF version over the air vs over the electrical wires would be a more reliable solution.

If you go to the x10 website - (x10 is a transmission standard?) - you will see a bunch of neat looking toys that really don't seem to perform very well.  They have never ending "deals".  I tried some of their motion sensors -  never worked well.  Some of their modules would work for a few months then go brain dead.

Many of their cameras were not effective - ie. being able to record at a fidelity useful to ID some one, etc.

After playing with the hardware on and off for over 10 years I just figured the core of the technology could not live up to my demands.

Brad - In Colorado

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 03:30:22 AM »
Having purchased my first home security system from Smarthome (still waiting on the box) I plan on exploring the x10 world a bit further.   "Insteon", from my understanding, is pretty much x10 with an rf signal on top of it.  In other words it does both.

One of my first projects is going to be replacing existing light switches with x10 switches.  Adding a multiple x10 switch to the master bedroom (to control exterior lighting) and to replace existing motion sensors with the x10 type.   The security controller interfaces with x10, I'd like to find a gateway to use Insteon instead, but I'm just starting to learn this stuff.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 09:20:37 AM »
Interesting the RF backup should provide some help.  Note - you may need this hardware for better x10 on both legs of power coming into the house.   I think I used the right term.  I found what worked best for me is to have the RF receiver plugged into each room I had setup for access.
http://www.insteon.net/2406h-signalinc-phase-coupler.html

I had my bedroom setup where I would have one light turn on in the morning followed by my fan turning off.  If you need to control fans for non-dimmable fluorescent  lights you might need one of these http://www.insteon.net/2456s3-appliancelinc.html

Interesting hardware - not quite my cup of tea anymore.  I do like the sprinkler system setup - this type of hardware would allow you to customize water needs for your hydroponics, gardens, etc.

Thanks for the pointer on insteon

Brad

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 09:32:20 AM »
I've been running an X-10 system for 9 years with only a couple switch failures.
The range has been sufficient.
The key-chain remotes for the security system don't seem to last more than a couple years before they need to be replaced.
I really need to look at their site and maybe add on a few more functions.