Author Topic: All the Biltong threads. Maybe.  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
Re: All the Biltong threads. Maybe.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 06:54:01 AM »
also a good site: https://www.instructables.com/id/BiltongNOT-jerky/

https://www.selfsufficientme.com/sustainability/how-to-make-biltong-using-an-excalibur-dehydrator

trying Brisket today.  well, it came out of the freezer this morning.... probably trying it tomorrow.

actually, in the interest of experimentation, I pulled out another brisket, and will be doing a batch of jerky as well.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/blue-ribbon-beef-brisket-jerky-recipe-1805857

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 06:49:21 AM »
Started the jerky soak last night.

For the biltong, I coated in salt for 1.5 hours, rubbed it off, 3-4 minute soak in red wine vinegar, then added onion and garlic powder and some pepper.  Then I hung it in the dehydrator.
I used a toaster oven rack on top of a dehydrator shelf, then hung the meat (8 pieces) from there with paper clips.  I put them near the front of the dehydrator, which is turned onto its lowest setting.  I also do not have the cover on; instead I rigged a piece of cheesecloth to keep out bugs (not that there are a lot right now).

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 10:05:52 PM »
 :popcorn:

Let us know how it goes.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 05:31:36 AM »
I took the biltong off.  I am a bit confused, as it only took 2 days to get to half its weight. But the inside was still pink AND MOIST.  I guess my dehydrator was still too warm even with the lid off.  I read up.
One website says to vacuum seal it at that point and stick it in the fridge.  The moisture levels will even out.  Another said to just leave it hanging.

So I cut my pieces in half; the half with the hooks are now hanging somewhere else, and the half without the hooks are in a vacuum bag in the fridge.

I liked the flavor though

The jerky got put in yesterday morning.  It was (mostly) done by dinner.  I don't remember it being that fast back when my mom made it, but it was done.  I used brisket for both, a tougher cut, but what I had so I used it.  The jerky was eventually sitting in melted fat, so I put it on a paper towel one tray up.  That allowed the fat to drain away from the meat.

I need to cut the jerky thinner - I waited too long and it was too defrosted to slice thinly.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 04:48:16 PM »
well, the jerky was oh so good.  Best jerky I have had in forever.  All the brisket will always be jerky now.

the biltong....

the ones I hung are VERY dry, not so tasty and very tough
the ones I put in a vacuum bag in the fridge evened out the dryness.  It still feels moist - not like a bad moist, but more moist nad more chewable than the hung ones.

YMMV, but this was my experience.