Author Topic: Instant Pot: is it for preppers?  (Read 14143 times)

Offline AnnsSolo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Instant Pot: is it for preppers?
« on: April 11, 2017, 04:59:59 PM »
I jumped on the Instant Pot crazy train last fall when Amazon dropped the price and my crockpot hit its last legs, but I didn't really start using it a lot until recently. So far, I'm impressed with what we've made with it, including a lot of storable foods
-beef with barley soup
-shredded turkey thighs and legs (older birds that needed a long cook)
-beans that went into various things
-hard-boiled eggs (the birds are producing a lot right now between the ducks and turkeys, we are feeding them back to them)

I haven't tried yogurt, but when I do, it will be with powdered milk.

It's really a tool, not just another kitchen toy, and I expect it will get me to rotate my staples even better.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Instant Pot: is it for preppers?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 05:29:16 PM »
I got one on a Black Friday deal and it's revolutionized how and what I eat.  No more cans, boxes, and bags of processed food.  I'm actually eating real food with minimal effort and loving it.  I'm using it so much that I bought a second pot so I can still cook when the other is in the fridge.  I'd buy one just for doing hardboiled eggs.  Sent my mom one for her birthday last week.  Everyone needs one, even if they don't know it yet.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 05:34:43 PM »
Instant Pot: is it for preppers?

I'm assuming you are referencing a type of pressure "cooker"?....  I would suspect that a pressure "canner" [which can also be used for cooking] and the slow cooker (aka crock pot), would be the typical tools used by generational preppers.  That's not to say that your instant pot isn't a good and useful addition.

LVWood

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 05:57:07 PM »
We have an electric pressure cooker, (not sure of the brand), and we get perfect rice in 10 minutes.
From frozen chicken to meal in 15 or 20.
We like our a lot.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 07:19:17 PM »
You know the famous butter chicken recipe author. Whoa. Is it as good as they say? Wait. Don't answer, I'm starting the thread, do it there, 'kay?

I don't know if she's THE famous butter chicken recipe author, but she's from India, and it was really good.  I'm assuming it was authentic Indian because she is.   ;D   I made her version a few days ago, and it was good, but I'm a spice wimp, so next time I'm leaving out the cayenne pepper.

She and her husband both had the gastric sleeve, and decided they needed to clean up their act.  She's a huge fan of her Instant Pot, so a lot of her recipes are using that.  They're almost all low carb and high fat.

She just made a low carb cheesecake in her Instant Pot this weekend, and I know she promised to post the recipe today, but I don't know if she got around to it.

http://twosleevers.com/2017/03/now-later-butter-chicken-pressure-cooker/

Offline AnnsSolo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 08:36:05 PM »
I don't know if she's THE famous butter chicken recipe author, but she's from India, and it was really good.

That's her. I've got to try that if we have any chicken left. We might have used them up, on to turkey parts.

Offline AnnsSolo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 08:44:22 PM »
I'm assuming you are referencing a type of pressure "cooker"?....  I would suspect that a pressure "canner" [which can also be used for cooking] and the slow cooker (aka crock pot), would be the typical tools used by generational preppers.  That's not to say that your instant pot isn't a good and useful addition.

It is a brand name for an electric pressure cooker (not a tested canner, sadly), that has a saute function and also works as slow cooker, so you can cook the whole meal in one pot. Some can be set to a very low temperature to make yogurt or proof eggs. There's a large on-line community building up around recipes, etc., including reviving grandma's "generational" recipes for the stove top pressure cookers, and way too many cheesecake recipes  :P. I have one of the old school stove top cookers that I never mastered, but this device is push-button easy, silent while in operation, and shuts itself off when done. For a lot of folks, this has been their introduction to pressure cooking. So it seems likely that some stored foods might be getting busted out for the first time, which is why I brought it up.

Offline AnnsSolo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 08:46:31 PM »
The first company that comes out with a USDA tested multipot model that can process 4 quarts is going to get my credit card number before it goes on sale, and that's saying a lot.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 09:29:11 PM »
I have one of the old school stove top cookers that I never mastered, but this device is push-button easy, silent while in operation, and shuts itself off when done. For a lot of folks, this has been their introduction to pressure cooking.

We have a stovetop one, but I'm both clumsy and easily distracted (blame the concussions), so I don't feel safe using it. I'm a lot more confident with the Instant Pot, and I can do more with it anyway.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 09:38:32 PM »
It is a brand name for an electric pressure cooker (not a tested canner, sadly), that has a saute function and also works as slow cooker, so you can cook the whole meal in one pot. Some can be set to a very low temperature to make yogurt or proof eggs. There's a large on-line community building up around recipes, etc., including reviving grandma's "generational" recipes for the stove top pressure cookers, and way too many cheesecake recipes  :P. I have one of the old school stove top cookers that I never mastered, but this device is push-button easy, silent while in operation, and shuts itself off when done. For a lot of folks, this has been their introduction to pressure cooking. So it seems likely that some stored foods might be getting busted out for the first time, which is why I brought it up.

Sounds like a great tool for delicious and quick, but I'm old school, I think it's hard to beat a pot simmering for a day or two.  And I couldn't get by with less than two 23-quart canners.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 06:18:46 AM »
The first company that comes out with a USDA tested multipot model that can process 4 quarts is going to get my credit card number before it goes on sale, and that's saying a lot.

I would settle for 4 pints.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 10:00:48 AM »
I am curious.

I owned a 25qt All American pressure CANNER (not the same as a cooker)
and a typical crock pot with low/med/high and a timer option

it sounds like this does considerably more than my mother's electric slow cooker.  I usually make a crockpot meal each week.
Usually it's stuff where texture is not critical, like stews.

What additional capabilities would I have?   the fast cooking speed of a pressure cooker?

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 11:57:28 AM »
I am curious.

I owned a 25qt All American pressure CANNER (not the same as a cooker)
and a typical crock pot with low/med/high and a timer option

it sounds like this does considerably more than my mother's electric slow cooker.  I usually make a crockpot meal each week.
Usually it's stuff where texture is not critical, like stews.

What additional capabilities would I have?   the fast cooking speed of a pressure cooker?

You have the speed/tenderizing of a pressure cooker, all day cooking like a slow cooker, rice cooking, and steaming.  With the Duo model, you can also make yogurt.

It has a saute function, but I wouldn't use it independent of already making something in it.  For instance, I made butter chicken with the pressure cooker function, and when the chicken was done, I switched to the saute function to melt the butter and get the whole thing bubbling.

Oh, and you can also steam hard cooked eggs in it.  I always steamed mine before, anyway.  Makes them easier to peel.

But it doesn't can.  I mean, it might, but they're not really meant for it, and I can't guarantee the results, and neither can they.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 12:21:21 PM »

You have the speed/tenderizing of a pressure cooker, all day cooking like a slow cooker, rice cooking, and steaming.  With the Duo model, you can also make yogurt.

It has a saute function, but I wouldn't use it independent of already making something in it.  For instance, I made butter chicken with the pressure cooker function, and when the chicken was done, I switched to the saute function to melt the butter and get the whole thing bubbling.

Can all that be pre-progammed?

To me the value of a slow cooker is turning it on and leaving the house for the day.

Can you slow cook for 4 hours, and have it auto-switch to sautee? and then turn down to warm before you get home from work?

Offline AnnsSolo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 01:40:02 PM »

To me the value of a slow cooker is turning it on and leaving the house for the day.

Can you slow cook for 4 hours, and have it auto-switch to sautee? and then turn down to warm before you get home from work?
A friend has a blue-tooth version that he can program with his phone but I don't know how complex of things he can do.  And there are other brands that might have more capabilities. When I would crockpot a stew, I'd always have to dirty another pan. With this gadget, I sauté, then switch over to crock pot or pressure cook, depending on how long I have until dinner. All the searing flavors stay in the pan. I am doing more pressure cooking now for things I used to crockpot with similar results. I'm thinking of things that I will cook in it in the summer that I just won't make because I don't want to deal with the hot stove: wheat berries for salads, bean soup. And I saw someone used it to peel a bunch of tomatoes. That will be something to experiment with during canning season. I can see using it while making something like salsa, there's always something I need to keep hot and I don't have enough burners.

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 02:40:23 PM »
We resisted for awhile and after a friend raving about it and a good sale on Amazon, we took the plunge figuring we could always return it.
It isn't instant, but it is pretty fast, especially for soups and tough cuts of meat.
It does a great job of infusing flavor and tenderizing dishes that take hours with a slow cooker.
It is pretty much set it and walk away.
The real plus for us is making slow cooker time consuming meals in much less time and in smaller batches.
Just remember, it won't save you time on food prep, just the cook time and cleanup.

In response to would it be a good prepper tool, if you had minimal power, you could run this and cook faster and with no fire or additional pans.

Here are a few recipes we found very tasty.
https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-vietnamese-caramelized-pork-spare-ribs/
http://nomnompaleo.com/post/137755902728/pressure-cooker-lemongrass-coconut-chicken
https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-kalbi-korean-short-ribs/
http://amazingonepotmeals.com/hot-and-sour-soup/

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 02:47:09 PM »

At least with the one I have, you can pressure cook or slow cook and have it switch to warm when the time is up. 

But I'm pretty sure you can't automatically switch to or from saute.  It heats up pretty fast, so you would definitely want to be standing over it, stirring the food, on that setting.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 02:57:04 PM »

In response to would it be a good prepper tool, if you had minimal power, you could run this and cook faster and with no fire or additional pans.

With respect, I think you've got that detail wrong.  I did some googling and the 5 quart model (ip-lux 50 ) requires a whopping 900 watts. 
That's not surprising, as any electrical appliance that produces heat (hair dryers, toasters) are similar.  I'm not saying it's horrible as an appliance, but that's not something you can run from most backup battery banks, and consumer grade inverters.  You'd need a higher end generator, like a Honda EU2000 for prolonged use.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 04:29:04 PM »
With respect, I think you've got that detail wrong.  I did some googling and the 5 quart model (ip-lux 50 ) requires a whopping 900 watts. 
That's not surprising, as any electrical appliance that produces heat (hair dryers, toasters) are similar.  I'm not saying it's horrible as an appliance, but that's not something you can run from most backup battery banks, and consumer grade inverters.  You'd need a higher end generator, like a Honda EU2000 for prolonged use.

I wonder if that's how much it uses for all of the functions though.  Saute would require quite a bit (it does get really hot), but slow cooking maybe not so much, with steaming being somewhere in the middle and pressure cooking being all over the place.

ETA: If it makes any difference, I had it on saute and plugged my hand mixer into the same outlet to beat some butter in, and even on high speed it didn't pop the GFI.  But that's just one random experience.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 05:08:17 PM »
I wonder if that's how much it uses for all of the functions though.  Saute would require quite a bit (it does get really hot), but slow cooking maybe not so much, with steaming being somewhere in the middle and pressure cooking being all over the place.

ETA: If it makes any difference, I had it on saute and plugged my hand mixer into the same outlet to beat some butter in, and even on high speed it didn't pop the GFI.  But that's just one random experience.

That could be true.  Most crock pots need around 300 watts on their high setting, 900 seems really high for that.

I recently wired up my furnace blower with a transfer switch so it can run off generator or inverter power.  To start up it spikes to 550 watts, but in a few seconds settles down around 300 watts.  Tthat initial big current draw must be supported by whatever your alternative power source is.

Amps = Watts / Voltage
At 900 watts 120VAC we're only talking 7.5amps, or half of a 15amp home circuit.  Some home circuits are 20 or 30amps.
Think of a big hair dryer - those are often 1500 watts.  This is not a problem for grid power in your home.  GFI shouldn't be a factor in terms of current capacity.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 12:47:37 PM »
I don't know if she's THE famous butter chicken recipe author, but she's from India, and it was really good.  I'm assuming it was authentic Indian because she is.   ;D   I made her version a few days ago, and it was good, but I'm a spice wimp, so next time I'm leaving out the cayenne pepper.

She and her husband both had the gastric sleeve, and decided they needed to clean up their act.  She's a huge fan of her Instant Pot, so a lot of her recipes are using that.  They're almost all low carb and high fat.

She just made a low carb cheesecake in her Instant Pot this weekend, and I know she promised to post the recipe today, but I don't know if she got around to it.

Made this yesterday...it was very good, thanks for posting.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 02:28:51 PM »

Made this yesterday...it was very good, thanks for posting.

You're welcome!  She's an amazing cook.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2017, 03:50:11 PM »
Unless/until I get an instantPot, I'll have to settle for Chef Keith Snow's butter chicken
http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/harvesteatings-podcast/e/49128245?autoplay=true

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2017, 06:50:08 AM »
Just got my new instant pot for Mother's Day... trying it out today. (BTW, Target has a special going on... it is on sale for $89. If you pick it up at the store, it is no delivery fee and you'll get a $10 ecard back -- effectively $79 plus tax)

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 07:48:22 PM »
Hmm...we got a rice cooker at Costco a few month ago and it's great, but maybe when we upgrade I'll look at this. Definitely a big fan of multi-taskers in the kitchen.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 09:02:38 PM »
Still enjoying the Instant Pot... we find it works very well for meat dishes. Things that used to take lots of planning and slow cooking are done in a snap... we had corned beef this evening...

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2018, 02:41:38 PM »
Works well on roast chicken, but we need to refine it a bit more so that we can get a nice browning at the end... will try out the butter chicken recipe. For a simple whole chicken, even though the recipe instructions called for saute-ing the chicken in olive oil before adding the liquid and pressure cooking, the color was very pale and there wasn't that nice crunchy skin you get when roasting... we were thinking of giving it a quick roast under the broiler after the back to add that color.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2018, 03:31:28 PM »
I’ve been planning to pull the trigger on one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VTL8STO/?coliid=I1SM5N3997K2Z&colid=3KZ2F7BQTRJ1W&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Do you think it would preform similarly in cooking mode?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2018, 10:26:32 PM »
That looks very interesting, Charles... perhaps it would be a nice dual-use appliance and a way to try out pressure canning on a smaller scale. I don't see why it wouldn't work very much like an instant pot for cooking... except you could definitely do bigger batches, I think. My Instant Pot is only 6 qts, so you have an extra 3 1/2 quarts to work with.