Author Topic: Preferred storable milk option  (Read 24376 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Preferred storable milk option
« on: October 17, 2014, 11:47:11 AM »
In my recent food storage inventory, something that we run out of early on is dairy.  I'm not a huge milk drinker, but kids enjoy breakfast cereal a few days a week.  The dry cereal is cheap, stores for a while and is a regularly consumed item we rotate through.

For milk I see a few options:

1) powdered (yuck?)
2) boxed almond/soy/coconut milk (most last several months)
3) canned: condensed/evap. etc.  I guess we could dilute these for breakfast cereal.

For cooking purposes I think we could be really flexible, I'm mainly wanting something that we can store easily and passes the "kid test".

Any better ideas for short to midterm milk storage?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Preferred storable milk option
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 12:10:26 PM »
1) powdered (yuck?)

I have tried alot of powdered milks, and this one is the best hands down. It is the only one I drink and the only one I make cocoa mix and pudding mix with.

2) boxed almond/soy/coconut milk (most last several months)

I get TetraPaks of ultra-high pasteurized milk for the shelf. They are good for 1-2 years.

I thought I would just use them if SHTF sorta thing happened, but I actually find myself grabbing them when I am out of 'real milk', and I need milk in a recipe. SP doesn't notice the difference in drinking it out of a glass, but I detest it. But then again I am a milk snob.

I take these things camping too, as I cook real foods when we camp too.

3) canned: condensed/evap. etc.  I guess we could dilute these for breakfast cereal.

I use these alot in cooking, but I know alot of people who are offgrid, who keep them for diluting for cereals.

Cedar

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 12:35:24 PM »
The only dry milk we will tolerate has to be low fat or whole milk, I do have nonfat dried in my LTS, but it would have to be  total SHTF scenario and even then, it would likely just be used for cream soups or baking.

Used to be that local grocery stores carried Milk Man brand low fat dried milk, which is decent

http://www.amazon.com/Milkman-Low-Instant-Powdered-Milk/dp/B00FE1RQ5C

and we have some powdered whole milk, which is good and lasts 2 years, the brand I have tried so far is Peak

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K0862K/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00FE1RQ5C&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0G3GBKPPRKZ99RWAX37B

And, both of these make great homemade hot cocoa mix, so when you need to rotate it out, can easily be used up for that

As far as canned milk, has a shelf life of 1 year, can probably push to 2

See which ones your kids like the best on their cereal. Could be that a powdered milk, like Milkman, with a can of carnation whole milk added, and well chilled, they could have on cereal all the time with no complaints.

Offline mnotlyon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 12:44:12 PM »
My long term milk storage solution is...... a cow. It seems to stay fresh inside the cow for long periods of time. :)

Seriously, I have a little bit of powdered milk stored for cooking, but I'd never just drink it. I'm lucky enough to have a farmer close to me that sells raw milk. So, we just buy it as we need it.

nelson96

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 02:39:28 PM »
There is a thread here somewhere in the forum that someone mentioned a dried milk they buy that is better than anything else they've ever tried.  She mentions that her dad was the biggest critic of taste and that he really liked the brand she recommends.  The problem is that I can't find my notes and I want to get some myself.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:29:03 PM by archer »

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 03:28:14 PM »
Fantastic feedback (as usual).  I may buy a few different things and experiment, and later "go big" and stock up on what works later on.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 05:57:15 PM »
My long term milk storage solution is...... a cow. It seems to stay fresh inside the cow for long periods of time. :)

Seriously, I have a little bit of powdered milk stored for cooking, but I'd never just drink it. I'm lucky enough to have a farmer close to me that sells raw milk. So, we just buy it as we need it.

This has been our solution since spring when we finally brought home a 5 year old bred Jersey.  She is due in a week or two and had been dry since the end of August.  Boy do I miss her milk now!  As a back up the organic valley stuff Cedar mentioned is pretty good.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 07:28:29 PM »
And my apprentice and I are working on getting a cow. It will be nice to share milking chores. I want her to move closer however.

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 07:29:37 PM »
And my apprentice and I are working on getting a cow. It will be nice to share milking chores. I want her to move closer however.

Cedar

You've got room.  ;D

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 07:35:34 PM »
You've got room.  ;D

Need more fencing.

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 07:36:46 PM »
Need more fencing.

Is your apprentice a savage?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 07:54:13 PM »
She is not.. and hopefully neither is the cow.

Cedar

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 07:58:43 PM »
I have been MORE THAN HAPPY with Nido milk... I have drank it out the cup, AND cooked with it...  IMHO, its as close to moo cow milk as you can get out of a can!!!

This is my go-to milk for LTS, *AND* you can buy it damn near anywhere!
EB

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 09:35:46 PM »
I have been MORE THAN HAPPY with Nido milk... I have drank it out the cup, AND cooked with it...  IMHO, its as close to moo cow milk as you can get out of a can!!!

This is my go-to milk for LTS, *AND* you can buy it damn near anywhere!
EB

I read about this one too when I was doing research to order a dry milk, it is also whole milk powder, like Peak, right ? I would imagine they taste about the same. Around here, there is nothing except non-fat in a store that I have seen, it has to be ordered.

But, they have a shelf life of 2 years because they are whole fat, correct ? So needs to be rotated. Best taste tho, I agree

While I have a few cans of these, in case we are displaced, or something happens to the animals or animal feed, but my preferred plan is that we have milk goats and 6 months of feed in the barn. If someone took their feed, they would survive on the native plants around here, but milk production could go away, it is hard to get that much forage to them

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 08:51:23 AM »
Timely post smurf.

I just got my order in from honeyville, 2 #10 cans of their "milk alternative"

Mixed it up last night and chilled it overnight, tried it this morning.... it's good but weak like skim milk.

I think ill try what mountainmoma suggested, I'll add a little evaporated milk hopefully it'll make it more creamy tasting.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 09:00:58 AM »
See which ones your kids like the best on their cereal. Could be that a powdered milk, like Milkman, with a can of carnation whole milk added, and well chilled, they could have on cereal all the time with no complaints.

Is carnation whole milk the same as evaporated milk?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 09:27:57 AM »
Last night at winco I got some almond milk that was discount ed and cans of evaporated milk.  All their dry milk was nonfat.  I want to shop and see if I can find at least 2% in powder form and test it out on the kiddos.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 09:42:24 AM »

Is carnation whole milk the same as evaporated milk?

yes, I have word finding difficulties and dont always vet what I wrote as well as I should. Carnation is a brand of evaporated milk, but out here I have noticed they are now selling evaporated milk that is non-fat, or not even pure milk at all, so I just meant to emphasive evaporated whole milk.

The powdered whole fat milk, like Nido or Peak, or even the lowfat like Milkman, are so much better than powdered non-fat milk, if you can find them, and remembering that they only have a self life of 2 years due to the fats.

Offline spud

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 10:05:27 AM »
You can store milk unrefrigerated with kefir grains.  I do it but only for three days or so.  You can also slow the  process of soilage  by storing milk or milk with kefir the old fashioned way by putting milk  in a cool water bath like a spring or ground water from sump or well.  I don't eat dry cereal so I don't know how kefir it would affect taste, it is rather sour.

Offline CKMe

• Survivor
  • Just trying to figure it out
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 10:13:41 AM »
Hubby has been buying this stuff

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=milk+parmalat&tag=mh0b-20&index=grocery&hvadid=3521781327&ref=pd_sl_5kkecqmmbp_b

it is supposed to be shelf stable for one year (according to him that is, I haven't read it at all)

On the shelf at the local Walmart, so he's stocking up. I personally can't stand the taste of it, but I'm not a fan of regular milk either - cannot sit and drink a glass of it. Oddly enough though milk straight from the cow I have no trouble downing in the slightest, I even seem to crave it

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 10:30:22 AM »
yes, I have word finding difficulties and dont always vet what I wrote as well as I should. Carnation is a brand of evaporated milk, but out here I have noticed they are now selling evaporated milk that is non-fat, or not even pure milk at all, so I just meant to emphasive evaporated whole milk.

The powdered whole fat milk, like Nido or Peak, or even the lowfat like Milkman, are so much better than powdered non-fat milk, if you can find them, and remembering that they only have a self life of 2 years due to the fats.

Thanks, ill get some today and try it.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 11:05:09 AM »
Last night at winco I got some almond milk that was discount ed and cans of evaporated milk.  All their dry milk was nonfat.  I want to shop and see if I can find at least 2% in powder form and test it out on the kiddos.

This is how I ended up buying powdered milk on Amazon ! crazy as it seems to mail order powdered milk -- but, my area doesnt have the same stores as you will, so maybe you will find some local. I dont shop at grocery stores often, but the Safeway in the small town by me has definitely consolidated items it carries, for example, it no longer carries the Milkman lowfat powdered milk, it also no longer carries C&H powdered sugar (which is cane sugar, so no GMO's) it only carries the safeway house brand which is from GMO beet sugar ! So, I have to stock up on the powdered sugar and such also

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2014, 01:09:15 PM »
It worked :happydance:

I'm very pleased with this combination:

Honeyville "milk alternative" made as directed.
8 tablespoons of evaporated milk per quart of "milk alternative"

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2014, 04:46:59 PM »

Or a goat...you can even keep a couple of those in the back yard. :) 

Now before anyone says "yuk!", I have a line of Fainting goats whose milk tastes just like fresh Jersey milk. 
Now for those of you that have tried goat milk or goat cheese in the past that tasted in the least bit "goat-y," chances are that the milk wasn't handled property...and sadly, most isn't.  Clean and properly handled goat milk and cheese does NOT have a goat-y taste, any more than cows milk does.  But I guess fortunately for those producers, there are people who have "acquired" a taste for unclean milk, and come to expect it. I'm just not one of them.   
Ok....off my soap box now.  ;D

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 04:51:04 PM »
I even put my milk goats into show cuts and wash them every two weeks. Most of mine did not have a 'goaty' taste, but every now and then you get an individual which has a stronger 'taste' than others.

None of my goat products made from goat milk taste goaty. But when I was without goats for awhole, I bought some goat cheese from the store.. a well known goat dairy... and BLECH!!!! I spit it out.. it was goaty and nasty. Before that I had only homemade goat products.

Cedar

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2014, 05:36:02 PM »
Different breeds of goat have different flavored milk also. And, as was said, handling makes ALOT of difference.

Our non-storage milk is fresh, raw milk from our goats. But, never the less, I do have a bit of medium-term storage milk, 3 cans of peak milk, in case of evacuation, as we are generally in a forced seperation from the animals, and then there is some LDS #10 cans of the non-fat milk in long term storage, the 30 year stuff incase of complete breakdown (ie, something as happened to our goats is likely then...)

The breed we have is Nigerian Dwarf Dairy goats, which is known for very sweet milk with the highest milkfat of all the goat breeds, it has twice the fat of full fat cow milk, this helps tremendously with the sweet taste. May depend on what they are fed, ours dont eat anything that would impart any off flavors. We steam sterilize the pot we catch the milk in before each milking, strain the milk immediatelly into a clean 1/2 gallon jar and stick in the freezer for a few hours to quick chill, the quick chilling is what keeps the sweet taste the most.

The one day milk test done on 3 of our does in Sept. gave this result -- cant find it !! anyway, last years was at 6.5% milk fat, it varies as to which part of the lactation cycle.

We have 4-6 months of hay and feed on site, always, there are 3 double-rows of bales, when one double row is empty, bringing us down to 4 month of hay, I go buy hay to replace that double row.

Wild Colonial Boy

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 08:29:56 AM »
Not being a fan of powdered milk, we keep a qty of 2 litre tetra pack style cartons of full cream UHT Milk in our pantry. They are good for 6-9 months on average so we keep them rotating when we run short of real milk. The low fat options I have tried in the past are alittle watery but the full cream version we can buy is pretty good. http://devondale.com.au/our-products/milk .....unfortunately it looks like they only export to Asia at this stage.

I understand that UHT milk is not nearly as popular in the US and in Europe, Asia and the Pacific.  I am not sure why this is the case but I would recommend people consider it as an option if powered milk is unappealling and a cow is not an option.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 08:41:19 AM »
I used to keep tetrapak milk (Borden's whole) until I nailed down a source of raw milk.  Raw milk keeps up to 4 weeks unopened.

A neighbor stores several gallons in a chest fridge (converted from a chest freezer).  One day the thermostat stuck, and all the milk froze solid.  It was basically fine when thawed.  Yeah, there was some cream separation, but the milk wasn't trashed like storebought homogenized would have been.

So, if it looks like the world will fall apart, he will make a dairy run and freeze a bunch.  (Yes, we are all off-grid capable here).

~TG

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 08:57:23 AM »
We are pretty happy with Nido dry whole milk.  While not a huge shelf life compared to non-fat it is plenty long for us (finding other sources for the little ones) and requires no regrigeration.  It has proven outstanding for camping trips and traveling as well.  People normally cant keep themselves in whole milk with two little ones on a long trip due to cooler space.  This makes it way easier. 

If you have enough bottles and sippy cups you can fill a days worth of them with powder and just add water as you need them that day.