Author Topic: question about purchasing half cow - Right board?  (Read 12890 times)

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
Re: question about purchasing half cow - Right board?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2020, 08:52:39 PM »
We didn't care for canned beef, we vacuum-sealed everything and froze it. Very labor intensive and those bags are not cheap. Off brand bags had a high failure rate, not sealing. We didn't care for biltong. Jerky is a nice snack, but I wouldn't have the resources to do more than several pounds at a time. We also didn't like the way a half was butchered, pork was horribly done. So we buy at sale prices the cuts we want and vac-seal & freeze. Curing is interesting, but over my head.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2020, 07:07:52 PM »
Lots of questions there sunshine.  ;D Decisions decisions.

We raise our own pork and keep our freezer full.
But we do like beef. And yes, it's higher than hail right now, if you can buy what you actually want. It's slim pickings in the stores.
We have a *yes we will* in with a friend that raises some beef.
Though its 6mo? off yet. If we take half, we're not sure we can get it stuffed in the freezer.
We'll have all the good cuts cut, as we like steak.  ;D Most likely steaks and burger. Bones will be kept for the guard duty dogs.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2020, 10:14:04 PM »
We also have a half of beef ordered... expecting to get it in about 2 weeks. That price seems really high to me. The quoted price here is $3.55/lb hanging weight. Here is the website for the place we are buying ours (see the shop for pricing comparison): https://www.lighthillpremiummeats.com/

We don't like the liver and don't know anyone who will eat it, so we are not going to take it. I will take bones to make bone broth. I also found a nice beef cut sheet to plan how I want the cuts... Looking forward to this.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2020, 05:25:41 AM »
We also have a half of beef ordered... expecting to get it in about 2 weeks. That price seems really high to me. The quoted price here is $3.55/lb hanging weight. Here is the website for the place we are buying ours (see the shop for pricing comparison): https://www.lighthillpremiummeats.com/

We don't like the liver and don't know anyone who will eat it, so we are not going to take it. I will take bones to make bone broth. I also found a nice beef cut sheet to plan how I want the cuts... Looking forward to this.

take the liver and add it to your bone broth.  Seriously.  It adds the richest flavor.  I made my broth without the organ meat one year, and it was dull, almost flavorless compared to the previous years when I had added the organ meat.

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2020, 06:46:03 AM »
If you like corned beef are that to your list of things to do that will neither take canning jars of freezer space. As someone who has taken a 1700 lbs stead ( live weight ) from on the hoof  to totally processed alone it can seem like a lot.
 I now just put briskets and bellies in corning brine tell I am ready for them. Last year I put them in the brine in April in a food grade  buckets set it under the house and there it set tell October. No refrigeration no canning and no freezing.  First cool snap in October i pulled some of it out rinsed it the dry rubbed it and cold smoked it. I have around 100 lbs of pastrami hanging ready for me to spice off of anytime I want some.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2020, 07:04:33 AM »
If you like corned beef are that to your list of things to do that will neither take canning jars of freezer space. As someone who has taken a 1700 lbs stead ( live weight ) from on the hoof  to totally processed alone it can seem like a lot.
 I now just put briskets and bellies in corning brine tell I am ready for them. Last year I put them in the brine in April in a food grade  buckets set it under the house and there it set tell October. No refrigeration no canning and no freezing.  First cool snap in October i pulled some of it out rinsed it the dry rubbed it and cold smoked it. I have around 100 lbs of pastrami hanging ready for me to spice off of anytime I want some.

I thought i would try something like that also, but do not know how.

And I cannot say that I like corned beef - the only times I have had it have been at cheesy St. Patrick's Day parties and the like.  I don't remember disliking it

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2020, 08:42:46 PM »
wow! Love corned beef.