Author Topic: Made my first Jerky!!  (Read 4627 times)

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
Made my first Jerky!!
« on: June 20, 2010, 09:57:32 PM »
So I have read and studied and talked to SO many different people and everyone has their own way and their own recipe and their own style. So I figured I might as well too. Took a bunch of different suggestions and went for it. Kicked ass. Love this stuff. No wonder everyone talks about it so much.

IF you are reserved about making your own jerky..Do it. It is way better then any store bought stuff.

Offline jawjaboy

• Survivor
  • Gone but not forgotten
Re: Made my first Jerky!!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 12:50:15 PM »
IF you are reserved about making your own jerky..Do it. It is way better then any store bought stuff.

Couldn't agree more S&T. Congrats.  :)

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 09:23:37 AM »
I make venison jerky every year. I just use Moores Sauce, Worchesters,Liquid Hickory Smoke and course ground black pepper. Comes out pretty good at least I haven't received any complaints from the family. ;D

Offline javabrewer

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 11:17:05 AM »
The only complaints I hear are from my wife who is disgusted by the liquid smoke smell emitted from the dehydrator during the drying process.  However, whenever the jerky hits her lips she seems to forget all about it.  To be nice I cut down the amount I use to about 2 teaspoons per cup and I end up running the dehydrator in the guest bathroom with the fan on to help cut down on the odor.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 01:21:10 PM »
So I have read and studied and talked to SO many different people and everyone has their own way and their own recipe and their own style. So I figured I might as well too. Took a bunch of different suggestions and went for it. Kicked ass. Love this stuff. No wonder everyone talks about it so much.

Big question though..

How long did it last?  Or did it?

Offline jawjaboy

• Survivor
  • Gone but not forgotten
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 02:33:40 PM »
I make venison jerky every year. I just use Moores Sauce, Worchesters,Liquid Hickory Smoke and course ground black pepper. Comes out pretty good at least I haven't received any complaints from the family. ;D

Close to mine.  :)  I use 1 bottle of Moores, ~1/3 cup of catsup(ketchup), ~3 ounces of unsweetened apple juice, and ground red pepper to taste. The ground red pepper seems to blend and stick better than the black IMO.

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 03:19:25 PM »
Close to mine.  :)  I use 1 bottle of Moores, ~1/3 cup of catsup(ketchup), ~3 ounces of unsweetened apple juice, and ground red pepper to taste. The ground red pepper seems to blend and stick better than the black IMO.
Never heard of using catsup, can you taste it in the jerky? I like catsup on burgers and hotdogs just don't no if I would like it on jerky?

Offline jawjaboy

• Survivor
  • Gone but not forgotten
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 03:32:19 PM »
The catsup I use is to impart a bit of sweetness(sugar) to the jerky, along with the light apple flavor from the apple juice. My jerky is not sweet by any stretch of imagination, but just a light touch. I use the Moores over Dales because it contains less sodium...and is a lil bit cheaper.

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 03:37:33 PM »
The catsup I use is to impart a bit of sweetness(sugar) to the jerky, along with the light apple flavor from the apple juice. My jerky is not sweet by any stretch of imagination, but just a light touch. I use the Moores over Dales because it contains less sodium...and is a lil bit cheaper.
Thx for the info. I still have one deer ham left in the freezer from last deer season. I will give your recipe a try when I get back home next week. And you are right Dales is salty, it should be called Liquid Salt instead of Dales.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 09:56:07 PM »
The only complaints I hear are from my wife who is disgusted by the liquid smoke smell emitted from the dehydrator during the drying process.  However, whenever the jerky hits her lips she seems to forget all about it.  To be nice I cut down the amount I use to about 2 teaspoons per cup and I end up running the dehydrator in the guest bathroom with the fan on to help cut down on the odor.

Most of the time, it's the dehydrator or me in the garage. My beautiful bride has the sniffer of a blood hound and the easiest way to keep peace when dehydrating or making jerky is to relegate the smelly machine to the garage.

Offline javabrewer

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 10:45:37 PM »
Most of the time, it's the dehydrator or me in the garage. My beautiful bride has the sniffer of a blood hound and the easiest way to keep peace when dehydrating or making jerky is to relegate the smelly machine to the garage.

I made a similar analogy about her and our Black Dog.  That didn't turn out too well either.  So now I also put the dehydrator in the guest bathroom with the door closed and the fan on.  It works pretty well without having to be outside in the humidity (and our garage can barely fit our cars as it is, without the 9 tray behemoth).

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 07:21:07 AM »
I would like to bottle the scent and sell it "Man Stuff".

3 batches now with the second (2.5 lbs) lasting the longest at 4 days.

I like to add a little soy to my mix, and I agree red pepper penetrates the meat better.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 07:31:11 AM »
Going to have to try this.   Still experimenting with the dehydrator, last 'experiment' had the house smelling like onions!

The nice thing about getting/reading the opinion of so many, with so many varied answers, is it leads me to believe that there isn't any one 'best' way to do it.. just do it.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 09:53:29 PM »
Like bbq and rubs, everyone has their own jerky recipe. You will have to try a few times, even with a good recipe, and tweak it to your meat, dehydrator and desired taste.