Author Topic: Fire Hazard with running Dehydrator at night?  (Read 45004 times)

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
Fire Hazard with running Dehydrator at night?
« on: June 20, 2010, 12:16:44 AM »
So its obvious that most dehydrating will take a LONG time, and will leave you with the dehydrator running overnight. Does anyone consider this a fire hazard? Am I just being old school paranoid?

Offline zackandjen2004

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Fire Hazard with running Dehydrator at night?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 04:38:57 AM »
My Excalibur runs all night when I'm processing food.  I've never worried about it.  You really do need to give some things uninterrupted time on the dehydrator, like 16-20 hours. 

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 05:17:16 AM »
I've run my dehydrator close to 24 hrs. straight with no problems.  The temperatures are low enough that I'm not worried about it.

Offline jawjaboy

• Survivor
  • Gone but not forgotten
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 07:23:48 PM »
I've owned 2 dehydrators in my lifetime. A Ronco that a lot of you may know little about, TV adver thing. It worked great, but took a couple of days to process most whatever, plus rotating trays during that time.  :'(

Second one was a 9 tray Excaliber. Priced fair, trustworthy, never let me down yet in 10+ years. Get the job done pronto too.

I consider a quality dehydrator no less than any other quality appliance in my house..... water heater, 'fridgerator, freezer, timepieces, etc. They run all night, 24/7, for years.

I'm old school, 'n I wouldn't have a problem with leaving my machine smoking all night long. Never have. Runs like a top. 
 :)

Offline johngalt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 10:13:14 PM »
Our Excaliber pretty much runs around the clock from July through October.  Its running at night, when we're gone, etc.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 12:25:57 AM »
NOthing like waking up to the house smelling like apples. For garlic, it goes outside.  ;)

Any electrical appliance is a fire hazard to some degree. A well maintained machine and working smoke detectors make it highly unlikely.

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 06:20:11 AM »
I have a Excalibur 3900 and I run it for days at a time when I am dehydrating. I have never had any problems out of it plus its one of the best investments I have made.

Offline Pathman

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 11:36:35 AM »
NOthing like waking up to the house smelling like apples. For garlic, it goes outside.  ;)

I was dehydrating some Zucchini my boss gave me this weekend.  My wife made me run it outside because of the heat.  It took 18 hrs due to the humidity in the air.  I believe our humidity outside was 85% yesterday.  I brought it in before I went to bed and around 4:30 am it was still a little leathery.  I turned the AC back on and that seemed to help, buty 6:00 it was brittle enough to stop.

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
My dehydrator runs all night and when I am not home. Never give it  thought. No different than any other electrical appliance as far as I am concerned.

Offline TheDude

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 06:17:54 PM »
my mom had one for about 10 years, but only used it once or twice before she put it away for about 10 years. she decided to check it out recently and couldn't find the manual, so she looked for it online. it turns out that her model was recalled for starting fires. It appears to be an uncommon thing, but i can only suggest to be smart and check recall information and do some consumer report research before buying one.

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 06:19:58 AM »
My little American Harvester will run 24 hours at a time for several days in a row. It's been pretty darned busy lately.  ;)

I was a bit concerned about doing this a few years back...but so far, no worries.

As with any electrical appliance, just periodically check the cord and plug.

Regards,

Prag

Offline scrappy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 06:32:45 AM »
Just put the dehydrator in a pan of water so if a fire starts, it won't be able to spread.

:P

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 09:05:49 AM »
Just put the dehydrator in a pan of water so if a fire starts, it won't be able to spread. :P
Surely this is a joke and nobody takes you seriously. Electricity and water do not mix. :o

Offline scrappy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 01:23:46 PM »
Surely this is a joke and nobody takes you seriously. Electricity and water do not mix. :o

Yes - of course it was a joke.

On the other hand - water and electricity do mix quite well - that's the whole danger of the thing.  ;)