Author Topic: Czech Surplus Military Shovel (E-Tool) - BUY  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
Czech Surplus Military Shovel (E-Tool) - BUY
« on: October 25, 2008, 01:20:47 AM »
So in my home BOB/BIB, I have a heavy german pick/shovel e-tool (what we called them in the Corps).  I also have a lightweight camping shovel with a saw in the handle in my camping gear.  However, I wanted to get some to put in my cars for digging out of being stuck, etc.    Neither of these fit the bill, the German one being to big & bulky, the camping one being too weak.

Anyways, I wanted something cheap, compact, and sturdy.  I looked at the shovels at wally world and they looked like cheap crap that would snap if you tried to seriously use them to dig your car out of a ditch.

So I found these Czech Surplus shovels:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=459640

They come in a two pack for $14.97, perfect!

I ordered them on Saturday, got them tonight (Friday).

The shovels themselves are in great shape, the one I took pictures of is lightly used, with the edge sharpened.  The other one is completely unissied, with all the paint totally intact.  They are painted green with a think paint.

Unfolding them was pretty tough, probably because they've been in storage for decades.  Some WD-40 should help that out.

They come in canvas pouches that are pretty worn but still very serviceable.  The pouches have belt loops.

These shovels fold, and the bottom half of the handle unscrews off (retained by a cable inside the handle so you can't lose it) so that you can fit it all into the carrier.  Note that the threads on the handle are reversed.  The screw base at the top of the handle secures the shovel either fully extended at 90 degrees to use as a pick.

These shovels are heavy duty.  They are also pretty heavy.  Not too heavy to stop from humping it if I had too, but I probably would get a lighter one for recreational camping/hiking.  For emergency or car use, though, they are great.

So, for a price of $7.50 each, you really can't beat these!  They are now both in my car emergency kits.

BTW, the red in the pics is not rust, it's paint, there is some rust around the swivel joint.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 01:27:58 AM by Serellan »

Offline smittymojoe

• Prepper
Re: Czech Surplus Military Shovel (E-Tool) - BUY
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 08:22:26 PM »
Nice find and review there Serellan. I think I'll pick up some to put in my vehicles for the winter, and hope I don't have to use them!

smitty

Offline AuburnFootball

• Survivor
  • Cheating death and fighting communism...
    • BlueSheepdog
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 06:59:10 PM »
Any idea if these will fit in the US issued e-tool carrier?

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 03:06:43 PM »
Any idea if these will fit in the US issued e-tool carrier?
The US issue e-tool is what I carry in my Jeep, along with it's cover.  It doesn't look like it would fit to me.  The US tool's handle folds up & fits in a neat little tri-fold package, which is basically what the carrier is designed around.  I'm not sure what you'd do with the extra bit of handle on the Czech model.  The handle on the Czech model also looks more substantial than my tri-fold model tool.