Author Topic: Surplus Swedish Backpack - BUY  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
Surplus Swedish Backpack - BUY
« on: October 25, 2008, 01:00:11 AM »
So I needed to get some new packs for my vehicle emergency kits, so I went a searching, and settled on these surplus Swedish Backpacks:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=442749

I also considered the German rucksacks, but the draw of having a pack frame and the price of $24 for three was too much to resist.

I got these in today, I placed the order Saturday night.

These packs are a bargain.  They are almost brand new (the pictures below are of the MOST worn of the three I received; the other two look completely unissued).

The pack is one main compartment, with a sub compartment inside.  There is a drawstring around the mouth of the pack with a metal device to secure it.  The top flap folds over the whole top part of the pack, and secures with two straps that can be tightened from the top and bottom.  The shoulder straps are adjustable, and the frame has two canvas bands that provide padding.

The pack is lined inside with a rubberized coating that should make it waterproof.

The two big cons are no external pockets, only the main section with an internal pocket; as well as the lack of a waist strap for heavier loads.

My overall review is that this is an excellent pack for an emergency kit or for day hiking, etc.  I probably wouldn't choose it for a a full camping pack, as the lack of multiple pockets would be a pain.  However, for the price, you really can't beat this sturdy, water-resistant framed backpack as long as you get it for the right purposes.

I now have both my car kits in these packs, and a spare in the garage, that will make a good camping pack for my daughter when she gets old enough to head out with me.  Again, for $24.

BTW, the orange on the metal in the pictures is not rust, it's bare metal (I'm pretty sure the frames are aluminum), not sure why they look so red in the pictures.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 01:28:23 AM by Serellan »

Offline iron mike

• Prepper
Re: Surplus Swedish Backpack - BUY
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 10:36:18 PM »
There are brit bergens floating around in DPM camo.   

Same problems as the swede,  no external pockets & very limited strapping..

They do have an internal frame, & a big capacity. & a zip down flap to cover the shoulder straps & waist belt.  It can be used as luggage.

The Bergen works pretty well for me.
I carried lg USGI alice packs in the service & find most civilian packs to be very uncomfortable.   I know that sounds strange, but I'm accustomed to arching / curving my back forward (humping a pack)  & I hate civvie packs w/ frames because they force me to walk upright & usually interfere w/ swiveling my head.

Offline jpr9954

• Prepper
Re: Surplus Swedish Backpack - BUY
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 09:58:05 AM »
There are brit bergens floating around in DPM camo.   

Same problems as the swede,  no external pockets & very limited strapping..

They do have an internal frame, & a big capacity. & a zip down flap to cover the shoulder straps & waist belt.  It can be used as luggage.

I have one of these bergens. There are external zip on side-pockets available for them. They are designed to be zipped off and then attached to web gear to make a day pack. I found mine on Ebay along with some other British PLCE gear.