Author Topic: Smith & Wesson Knife/Hatchet Combo Set...  (Read 4066 times)

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
Smith & Wesson Knife/Hatchet Combo Set...
« on: October 20, 2008, 08:33:34 AM »
Was at a gun show several years ago and spied a nice S&W knife(w/guthook) and hatchet combo belt set.  Nice rubber handles on both, super high quality combo sheath that holds both the knife and hatchet, bead blasted blades with a nice non-reflective finish.  With what "looked" like a full width tang all the way to the handle end.  Well, what it "looked" like was not what it was in reality.  I took these with me on the Yosemite trip and on the first night deep in the backwoods, it was time to whack some wood to get the fire going for the night and "whacked" is exactly what I got.  First swing... SNAP... off goes the head of the hatchet!  I'm left standing there with nothing but the handle in my hand.  Upon further examination, the tang tapered down after it disappeared into the handle rubber and there was only 1/8" of metal on either side of the handle screws.  No wonder it broke, it was a piece of JUNK!  Test your gear before you have to depend on it for SURVIVAL!

Pic's below are similar models...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DrGonzo

• Survivor
    • Zombie Squad
Re: Smith & Wesson Knife/Hatchet Combo Set...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 10:29:13 AM »
I'm always hesitant to buy knives branded by companies that are known for products other than knives.  They are usually cheap overseas knockoff products used for advertising and promotions.  Every time I go into Big 5 Sporting Goods, the most inexpensive knives are the Smith & Wessons, Winchesters, Humvee and Jeep branded products.  They may make a good gun or vehicle, but their knives are garbage.  I own a few S&W folders that I have around as throwaway/giveaway knives.  Not for every day carry.  I'm a sucker for cheap stuff, but when it comes to knives, you get what you pay for, and a good knife will last a lifetime. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 11:34:35 PM by DrGonzo »

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 01:17:26 AM »
S&W doesn't actually have anything invested in the knives.  They've simply sold the S&W logo/name for licensure use by these crap knife companies.  I wish they'd quit or at least have some say in the quality because they're doing themselves a disservice.

I don't buy anything not firearms related that has the S&W name on it anymore.

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 02:09:26 PM »
Darn, I got a set just like that from my brother a couple years ago for Christmas. I never had a need to use them and it looks like that’s a good thing I didn’t.