Author Topic: BEWARE the Blue Rhino brand of Propane Tanks  (Read 16225 times)

Offline A Pawn

• Senior Survivalist
BEWARE the Blue Rhino brand of Propane Tanks
« on: October 18, 2008, 09:51:37 PM »
I want to warn everone about using Blue Rhino brand 20# propane tanks. I made the mistake of buying my first tank at a local Wal Mart thinking I saved $5 to $6 over other brands available locally.

After I purchased it, I noticed when I got home it wasn't even 20#, but 17#! I chewed myself out and then when to the net. Everything seems to be 'downsized' in the current situation and I wanted to see how long this had been going on.

First, I found out 17# is normal. Then I got educated at a forum at this link:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bbq/msg031613123088.html

Not only is this normal, but Blue Rhino has fixed it so only THEY can refill the tanks. It does no good to try and have it refilled at a local propane dealer or your own bulk tank.  >:(

This just sucks swamp water and I'm taking it back tomorrow for a refund and then buy a another brand. This time with my eyes wide open!

Nuff Said...

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: BEWARE the Blue Rhino brand of Propane Tanks
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 12:19:50 AM »
Wow, thanks for the info. I was thinking today of getting a 2nd one for camping/prep when I walked past a Rhino display. What's the cost in your area? A new Rhino was $56 or so.

Offline A Pawn

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 06:32:56 AM »
Wow, thanks for the info. I was thinking today of getting a 2nd one for camping/prep when I walked past a Rhino display. What's the cost in your area? A new Rhino was $56 or so.

Hello Archer...it's $43.88 plus tax. I should have know it was too good to be true...  8)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 11:52:58 AM »
$43.88? Nicer than the Bay Area.. Jeesh, I need to move.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 10:40:15 PM »

Thanks for the heads up btessery. +1

**Edited because of updated content**
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 11:03:47 PM by DeltaEchoVictor »

BoatDriver

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 08:50:11 PM »
Times have changed.  Only a few years ago we could refil a 20# tank for about 5 or 6 bucks.  What a rip off!

0degreesK

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 11:32:41 AM »
$50 for a new Blue Rhino tank in Akron, Ohio.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 12:25:11 PM »
Ugh....... I wanted to get a spare tank... Guess I'll have to shop around more.

John Bennett

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 09:31:07 AM »
Wow!  That sucks.  I did not know this.  Thanks for the heads-up.

millerized1

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 01:44:57 PM »
Don't fret.  If you've got an old tank, and want to replace the valve, or have a "proprietary type" and want to get it filled anywhere:
http://www.mcmaster.com, page 3305, partway down the page.  Sizes for 10-to 100lb tanks for under $22.  Industry standard stuff, not buy it here fill it here crap. Simple replacement as well.  Vent tank, install with thread sealant designed for propane, crank it down. 

If in doubt, consult a professional, your mileage may vary, product may settle during shipping, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear......

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 03:44:26 PM »
Never had a problem with Blue Rhino replacements here in CT.  Wallyworld has a large exchange rack.  I went to my local landfill and grabed six old tanks that were turned in for recycling.  They werent in the best appearance and all had the old style valve on them. 

I took them to Wallyworld for exchange and get a full retrofitted tank with the new style Overflow protection device (OPD) valve.  Price for the exchange is 19.95.  No trade in upgrade or new tank purchase required. 

When my "new" tanks are empty I just go to the local gas station, (closer to my house than Wallyworld too) and get them refilled for only $15.00.

Offline A Pawn

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 07:24:51 PM »
Never had a problem with Blue Rhino replacements here in CT.  Wallyworld has a large exchange rack.  I went to my local landfill and grabed six old tanks that were turned in for recycling.  They werent in the best appearance and all had the old style valve on them. 

I took them to Wallyworld for exchange and get a full retrofitted tank with the new style Overflow protection device (OPD) valve.  Price for the exchange is 19.95.  No trade in upgrade or new tank purchase required. 

When my "new" tanks are empty I just go to the local gas station, (closer to my house than Wallyworld too) and get them refilled for only $15.00.

Really CTF? Have they ever told you how they refill them with BR's propitiatory system or are they a part of Blue Rhino dealership?

By the way...good find at the landfill..."one persons junk...etc etc."   8)

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 07:48:53 PM »
I dont think there is any "Propiratory way to refill them.  The new cylinders (OPD type) have the threads on the inside and outside of the valve neck.  Older style had the threads just on on the inside of the valve neck.  If it attaches to your gas grill with threads on the outside then you can refill at any propane site. If you have older applances that thread into the valve neck, they can be used too. I have a gas torpedo style heater and burning torch that still has the older thread connection and they work on a new tank.

I think ya got some bad intel on this, I searched their website and theres nothing special about there exchange program.

Hey, try snagging a junky cylinder  someplace and try to exchange it and see what happens

Heres a coupon for $3.00 off a Blue rhino refill to boot!

http://ww2.bluerhino.com/br/pdf/TE_Web_Coupon_2008.pdf

And get yourself some plastic milk creates.  They hold a cylinder nicely for storage and transport in the car or truck. 
No more fearing its gonna tip overl
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 07:51:36 PM by CTF250 »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 12:56:03 AM »
Good tips CTF250!

Offline A Pawn

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 08:50:56 PM »
I want to warn everone about using Blue Rhino brand 20# propane tanks. I made the mistake of buying my first tank at a local Wal Mart thinking I saved $5 to $6 over other brands available locally.

After I purchased it, I noticed when I got home it wasn't even 20#, but 17#! I chewed myself out and then when to the net. Everything seems to be 'downsized' in the current situation and I wanted to see how long this had been going on.

First, I found out 17# is normal. Then I got educated at a forum at this link:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bbq/msg031613123088.html

Not only is this normal, but Blue Rhino has fixed it so only THEY can refill the tanks. It does no good to try and have it refilled at a local propane dealer or your own bulk tank.  >:(

This just sucks swamp water and I'm taking it back tomorrow for a refund and then buy a another brand. This time with my eyes wide open!

Nuff Said...

In the world of journalism this would be called a retraction. But on here...I'm just going to call it...."OH CRAP!"

After reading the postings to my topic I decided to dig a little deeper and find that I owe Blue Rhino a big apology. The problems I read about on the internet were for 20 pound propane tanks that did not have the now mandated 'Overfill Protection Device' or OPD. This was made law by the Federal Government under the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) code 58-2.3.1.5. The code simply says that these propane tanks can no longer be refilled without OPD's to protect against overfilling and becoming a fire hazard.

After studying several sites on the net including reading down lower on the first one I copied here, Blue Rhino was taking the non-OPD tanks and upgrading them. I then talked to my local propane dealer and he told me that he refills Blue Rhinos all the time and the problem was with the non-OPD tanks and not Blue Rhino. If anything Blue Rhino was doing a service by taking the old tanks and giving you complaint tanks.

As for the 17 pounds of propane. The OPD does take up room in the tank it self, but my dealer told me that you were never getting 20 pounds anyway when the old tanks were filled. Law even before the new codes limited filled propane to 80% of capacity due to expansion from heating. Propane weights 4.3 pounds per gallon. 5 gallons equals  21.5 pounds. 80% is .... 17.2 pounds. The OPD now displaces 0.2 pounds of propane..that leaves...you guessed it, 17 pounds

So Blue Rhino is giving you the straight poop. You get the maximum you can get. If any other say they are 20 pounds, they are just pulling your chain.

I apologize to Blue Rhino and can tell everyone now they are good eggs and can be trusted..and they seem to be in most Wal Marts...so that means they are everywhere!

For those who may have old tanks, you can tell by the shape of the valve knob.

If it's Round or Star shape...They are old style and you can swap them for OPD ones.

If the valve knob is Triangular...they are ok and have the OPD installed.

I hope the .gif pics I downloaded from Blue Rhino FAQ site attached to this so you can see the shapes I'm talking about. If not go to http://ww2.bluerhino.com/br/Help/FreqeuntlyAskedQuestions/index.html#1 and see for yourself.

Sorry folks...I jumped the gun. Good to have people looking over my shoulder and tell me when I might be wrong. Thanks...

Ben...

nuff said...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 10:28:27 PM »
Good job correcting your self btessery! I still need to get a 2nd tank.... Hmm, wonder if I can find an old used one on Craigslist that I can turn in for a new one....

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 11:05:15 PM »
Thanks for the update & clarification btessery.  +1 for follow thru.

This is a good reminder of why we should do our own due diligence.

millerized1

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 06:10:37 AM »
Kinda what I was hoping for (mistake in the first post), but I don't put it past any company these days.  If you can corner the market on any device, food or activity, you're only guaranteed that spot if the enforcement works in your favor....or until the Chinese clone/copy it.

Good on you for doing the research, and having the mettle to say "I was wrong"!!!

Glad that's never happened to me ;) ;D

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 08:25:54 PM »
I am glad to hear everything is ok with them.  I have 2 of the tanks.  I got one of them for FREE at the end of last year.  My neighbor was moving across the country, and the moving company would not move any fuel tanks of any kind.  (I also got the spare gas cans for his boat...and they were full as well)  If you know anyone in your area that may be moving, you might want to get in the good graces quickly...especially if they have gas powered toys and a good grill... ;)

Offline John Willis

• Survivor
    • Special Operations Equipment
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 09:56:51 PM »
We have over 20 tanks. We picked them up at the swap meet and found them on Craig's list. You can take Any tank at all Old style or new to wall mart and they will swap is for a new style tank that is full, It was $17.00last time I checked. Its probably lower now. Gas here is only $1.99 a gallon. If you post on caigslist that you need a tank for exchange some one will give you one or at least sell you one cheap.

John Willis
www.SOetacticalgear.com

Offline Hellboy

• Prepper
  • Member Support Brigade
    • TheFreeMen.org
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 08:27:17 PM »
If you use propane I always recomend you buy at least two tanks that way you knpw you will always have a backup in an emergency. Also take the survival out of it. You know the time you have a bunch of people over for a cook out is when the tank will run out!!