Author Topic: Greatland Hand Crank Lantern - Definitely a Tumbs Up  (Read 5092 times)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Greatland Hand Crank Lantern - Definitely a Tumbs Up
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:34:16 AM »
A few weeks ago we were at target, of course I snuck off to the limited but interesting sporting goods area.  Found and picked up this,

Crank it for 60 seconds and you get 20 minutes of light.  I cranked it for 3 minutes and got 30 minutes of reading time, got tired shut it off.  Turned it on two days later and still got another 15.

It also has a built in radio (just FM and AM no SW) that will let you get some info it other sources are down.  One nice addition is a ear piece plug so you could listen with out others hearing if you needed to.  I found it well built with a good solid crank that should not break unless abused.  Excellent back up lighting source and I use it at night to read by so that my wife can sleep with out to much light in the room.  All in all I recommend it highly.

At a price of 19.95 this is one solid value.

Note - The wifes "pretty red trivet and my blackberry not included,  ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 08:36:07 AM by ModernSurvival »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Greatland Hand Crank Lantern - Definitely a Tumbs Up
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 11:03:21 PM »
Nice find Jack! I have some windup lights I need to write up a review on and post, I'm rather disappointed with their quality.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 11:26:32 PM »
I might need to take a trip to Target then. All of the crank lights I have seen at Wal-mart look like they wouldn't hold up too well. I will definitely look into it if I go by there soon.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 05:33:37 AM »
I picked up a small flashlight at Academy that hand cranks, small about the size of a key chain remote.  Seemed cool on the third crank session the handle snaped off the crank.  It still "works" but that sucked.  This one even feels of good quality, it has a rubberized smooth feel to it, it isn't rubber armored (which would be ideal) but it is about the best built I have found so far.

Offline lonestar

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 09:51:10 PM »
I got the same style lantern at wally world at beginning of hurricane season.  My son loves it.  Great product for a 4 year old.  keeps real interested in how it works or why it works.  My son wanted a screwdriver to take it apart and "fix" it.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 11:55:13 PM »
I've had my eye on the Coleman Storm Beam at Wallyworld for $39.99, but I like yours better Jack.

Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL.  USA!

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 03:08:27 PM »
I've had my eye on the Coleman Storm Beam at Wallyworld for $39.99, but I like yours better Jack.

Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL.  USA!

Ok, couldn't resist it any more.  Was at WalMart a few hours ago and took the Coleman Storm Beam out of the box, less impressed out of the box and in your hands.  1st, the crank handle is all plastic including hinges and connection points and I figure it will last up until you either let your kids wind it or until you really need to use it.  And it's small, real small.  Single LED.  Only cranked it about 20 seconds, but I couldn't tell the diff between low and high output.  It does have a built in FM radio, was quite to crank, but the cussin' will surely get loud when the plastic crank handle breaks.  Oh, it did have a cell phone charger built in to it and comes with multiple adapters.  Conclusion:  I'm still looking for a "good" one.

Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 04:01:31 PM »
Thanks Modern, appreciate the heads up on the lantern. Was in Dallas to pick up a few things and saw a Target, stopped and got one of these lanterns. Not real rugged but looks acceptable for home use.