Author Topic: Hillside "Self Heating" Hot Chocolate REVIEW...  (Read 6213 times)

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
Hillside "Self Heating" Hot Chocolate REVIEW...
« on: January 21, 2009, 02:01:35 PM »
1-1-2009  I really don't know where this came from (my wife I suspect...), BUT I saw it and thought it was a novel idea and some "hot" hot chocolate might be just what a troubled soul might need in a time of crisis, so I tossed it into the BoB a few years ago and been hauling it around ever since.  It was time for a BoB cleanout the other day and I rediscovered this little gem.  It had a 11-2008 expiration date so it was time to use it or loose it.  The workings behind this "self heating" technology is really quite simple, the can is a double walled structure with a layer of quick lime in between the two walls.  You flip the can over, push a button on the bottom of the can thus breaking a foil sealed water reservoir and allowing the water to mix with the quick lime and producing heat.  The instructions said to let it stand for 5-8 minutes and then you would have a hot drink waiting to soothe your rattled nerves.  5 minutes... no heat.  8 minutes... no heat.  10 minutes, no heat.  Was about to give up and chalk it up to the expiration date and pour it into a cup and nuke it in the microwave when I heard a Roasted Chicken Cup-O-NooNoo's calling my name from the BoB.  I abandoned my hot chocolate and left it standing on the counter and proceded to heed the call of the NooNoo's.  15 minutes later (25 minutes total time from activation) I noticed the little pink dot had turned to white indicating it was ready.  My patience and craving for NooNoo's had been rewarded simultaneously. 

I don't know if all of the road vibrations from being in my cars for three years or more had "settled" the lime and the water had a hard time penetrating it, or if quick lime has a tendency to weaken over time or what, all I know is it finally worked and I was rewarded with a steaming cup of delicious "hot", hot chocolate.  And the 4 year old NooNoo's weren't bad either!

Front of can:
[

Instructions:

Water "Button":

After warming, rotate the safety lid, pop the tab, and ENJOY!

Tim.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 02:03:35 PM by timsuggs »

millerized1

Re: Hillside "Self Heating" Hot Chocolate REVIEW...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 06:28:16 PM »
I had the misfortune to buy some Wolfgang Yucks coffee like substance in a can several years ago. I should have gotten the hot chocolate.  That "coffee" was much worse than FiveBucks coffee, and I thing FiveBucks is worse than mountain man armpit sweat strained through a used pair of socks.

I'll have to look for the hot chocolate again.  That warm fluid would really warm the spirits as well as the body in a BoB situation.....especially this time of year.

+1 for the test!

Offline John Willis

• Survivor
    • Special Operations Equipment
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:15:17 PM »
Walmart seels some self heating coffees similar to that. They have 4 flavors I believe. I want to say they are two bucks each. I have had one not work correctly and not heat. I also have one that leacked from the bottom. They are tasey and full of sugar though.

John Willis
www.SOEtacticalgear.coom

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 04:48:28 PM »
I have a few of these myself.
I bought a couple of flats when they where a buck a pop at a local walmart.

I have noticed that they heat slower with age as well.

I am really curious to see how the 2 that have been in the trucklet fared in the 20 below weather. They haven't leaked.
I think I will rotate those two out, and  replace them with two that have been kept inside.

I keep them for those cold rainy days or to shut that ONE whiner up complaining about how cold it is in her tank top in the evening (note, figure of speech, not speaking about anybody in particular).

I do like them well enough. I just haven't seen any in a year or more.

kaiservontexas

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 12:07:26 AM »
I have had one of the coffees once and it was not that bad. I have not seen them in a while, but I do not actively look for it. I see this as a reminder.