Author Topic: FUEL TRANSFER QUESTION  (Read 2282 times)

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
FUEL TRANSFER QUESTION
« on: December 29, 2008, 11:39:52 AM »
I have a question about fuel transfer, and hope that someone out there can shed some light on this one.

Ihave a kerosene heater. I have a 5 gal. kero can that I use to fill the heater. To transfer the fuel from the can to the heater's fuel tank, I use a small hand siphon pump. it has a small valve at the top to start and stop the fueling transfer, a bulb that you squeeze to initiate the siphon process, a tube that goes into the can itself, and a flexable tube that goes into the heater tank.

All made of plastic.

SO....... my question is, since it is made for the transfer of kerosene, would it also transfer gasoline from one container to another, gas can to fuel tank, etc, or would the chemical makeup of the gasoline melt the plastic.  ???
The reason that I ask this, is if it will work, I plan on getting a couple more for a few situations where I would maybe have to do an emergency fuel transfer.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.   ;D

Offline Dirt Rider 3006

• Senior Survivalist
Re: FUEL TRANSFER QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 11:58:10 AM »
Tim, I think what you'll have to do is try it and see what happens. It's hard to say what will happen unless you know what type of plastic it's made out of. Do they use a different plastic for gas and kero cans? My guess is if it's rated for kerosene it should be good for gas. There may be other reasons you shouldn't use it for gasoline, such as the explosive vapors gas gives off.

Offline Brian Gallimore

• Prepper
  • Brian Gallimore
    • Brian's Website
Re: FUEL TRANSFER QUESTION
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 08:47:36 PM »
Tim, I think you will be OK.  Alcohol, vegetable oil, and biodiesel will need special components, but I think gasoline, kerosene, diesel are all pretty close to the same thing... except the flash point like DirtRider pointed out, but as long as you aren't creating a spark (like in an electric motor) that shouldn't be in issue.