Author Topic: How many people are in physical condition to survive a major TSHTF event?  (Read 16175 times)

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: How many people are in physical condition to survive a major TSHTF event?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 10:03:03 PM »
It's been my observation that there's a difference between a body builder and a person who's really in shape.  It's got nothing to do with muscle definition.  Somebody pointed out to me once that rough carpenters tend to be strong as horses, able to keep it up all day long, and yet often carry what might be considered extra weight.  I've even heard it said - don't know myself - that working on impressive definition and muscle/mass ratio is counterproductive in terms of endurance.  Looks great, but there isn't a lot of substance there.

This is true, as someone who used to work towards that ideal, when I was in the most defined condition was when my endurance and actual strength were lowest. Once I got below 4% or so bodyfat I got cramps a lot and got weaker.

There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. This time i am stopping when I have nice abs, but not where you can see every vien.

There are those that carry a few extra pounds but do physical work and are in great shape. But for me, I want to be able look good for the ladies. (not that I am in good shape with my extra pounds, but there are people who are)

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
Hey...I'm in shape...pear is a shape.

Seriously though.  I'm not in the same great shape I was this time last year.  Shoulder injury has sidelined me temporarily.  I walk a lot, but not as often as I need to.

I HATE the boredom involved in what it takes to get the body I want.  Nothing I work out with seems fun more than a few times.  I guess I'm ADD?

I know I could SURVIVE the SHTF scenario.  But I agree that it would most likely be a REALLY HARSH reality.

Offline firefly

• Survivor
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2009, 06:56:10 PM »
I agree that "gym" physical fitness isn't the same as "hard work" physical fitness.  The goal for lots of gym rats is to get 6 packs and the strength to bench press twice their body weight.  These are goals that can get you to look good but it's not very applicable to doing chores on the farm or a homestead. 

There is a place for cardio and stretching though, but running on a treadmill and running on outdoor surfaces is different.   

Offline Muddyboots

• Danger: Do Not Inflate
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Hoodlum's Ambassador
    • Hood's Woods- the Hoodlums Forum
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2009, 08:10:17 PM »
A while back, I had a guy in a class who was having trouble popping into and out of prone position. He was game and kept going, all out of breath, but he finished the course. when we were done, he said to me "When you get to be my age, the exertion and aches and pains will be just as bad for you!" I asked him how old he was and we were shocked at each other's answers. I was better than a decade OLDER th :oan he was! :o

This really illustrates how people's expectations effect their perceptions of "Health"

I know I can work hard 30 hrs straight or walk 50 miles. BTDT (recently) I also know that isn't common.

Do your best!

Muddyboots

Offline War_Eagle

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2009, 09:42:58 AM »
If your idea of a "major SHTF event" involves lumping a pack 20 miles a day and fighting insurgents the whole way, or hordes of rabid zombies, or maybe packs of ROUS traveling town to town devouring everything, then the Pentagon may be right. I think when the actual SHTF comes it'll take everyone by surprise at how simple a change it will be. Likely there won't be much needed physically, but more emotionally. Even Katrina could have been a minor event if the city wasn't run and populated by the stupid.

Yes and no. While it's true that an emergency situation doesn't necessarily mean having to hike, carry a pack, or fight the enemy (although I can't totally rule out the rabid zombie scenario), it does mean that we'd be without conveniences and that the littlest things would require more effort. It doesn't seem bad on paper or if you're in good shape, but if you're sick or have an injury or a chronic condition like arthritis, you'd notice it immediately.

Something else too many people forget is that morale is a key component of survival. Pain and discomfort and illness are natural and unavoidable parts of life, but they're also morale killers and that can have really bad effects in an emergency situation.

Offline catherine

• Prepper
  • My father taught me how to look after myself
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2009, 12:10:24 PM »
This is one of my biggest concerns.  I am 49 and have arthritis and bad knees so I don't get enough real exercise and need to shed some lbs.  Just walking a mile puts my hip and lower back out.  I would love to find the magic solution to get into shape again.  I love to walk and hike and really miss it.  My family is pretty sedentary and the teens would be a mess if they had to hike out anywhere.  Hopefully working in the garden this spring will make a difference.

I know how difficult it is to get fit after illness of damage to various parts of the body. I found swimming very helpful. back stroke puts less stress on the knees and back.
What about cycling, a good cycle dealer/shop would be able to set up your bike so it takes little stress on your back. The key is deff slowly slowly no sudden weekend hikes with a pack on.

Since my accident which left me with RSD/CRPS a neuro-logical condition I put on abou 4 stone in wieght, now over the last two years I've started lossing it again. It is a battle but I'm in for the long run. For information on RSD/CRPS please search that term on You-tube to see vids on the condition

Good luck
Catherine

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2009, 08:42:50 PM »
Good job Catherine. I'm also trying to lose weight I put on after an injury. Keep at it. I've been working at it for awhile. Baby steps will get me there.

Pat

Offline Cowtown44

• Prepper
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 08:23:16 PM »
If the SHTF I hope it isn't Monday because I'm running a marathon on Sunday. I'm in the best shape of my life.

endurance

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 10:41:37 PM »
If the SHTF I hope it isn't Monday because I'm running a marathon on Sunday. I'm in the best shape of my life.
Good luck!

I did my first and only marathon in 1997 and landed on crutches for the next two weeks while my foot muscles calmed down after they went into splint mode to protect two stress fractures I acquired in training.  I'm sure you're better prepared than I was and it will be a day to remember the rest of your life.  I know mine was.

Offline War_Eagle

• Prepper
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 08:10:16 AM »

I walked about three blocks of the Boston Marathon route. Does that count?

Offline Cowtown44

• Prepper
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2009, 12:40:35 PM »
Good luck!

I did my first and only marathon in 1997 and landed on crutches for the next two weeks while my foot muscles calmed down after they went into splint mode to protect two stress fractures I acquired in training.  I'm sure you're better prepared than I was and it will be a day to remember the rest of your life.  I know mine was.

Wow, it's impressive you were able to even run with stress fractures. Great accomplishment.

endurance

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2009, 04:24:34 PM »
Wow, it's impressive you were able to even run with stress fractures. Great accomplishment.
After over a year of training I wasn't going to let a little pain get in my way.   :P  Actually, the ibuprofen was doing it's job until about mile 18 and I was able to manage the first 18 miles in three hours, but everything fell apart for me around mile 20-21.  Despite being about 26 minutes off my target time, it was still one of the most satisfying days of my life in the end.

endurance

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2009, 11:55:26 AM »
I guess another reason why I like to push my body and train for races is because I learn just how hard I can push myself.  I enjoy knowing what I can endure.  While I've never gone this far, I completely respect their heart, which endured far after their bodies failed them.  Could you do the same?  Some people will never know.

Offline Cowtown44

• Prepper
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2009, 08:58:18 AM »
Cool vid, endurance, thanks for posting. I got the marathon done in 4:25. Definitely not what I'd strived for but I learned alot about race strategy and the approach for next time. You know what they say about marathons: two is one, one is none.

Offline inthego

• Survivalist Mentor
  • No man is free who is not master of himself..
    • My Biz web site
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2009, 11:30:29 PM »
I guess another reason why I like to push my body and train for races is because I learn just how hard I can push myself.  I enjoy knowing what I can endure.  While I've never gone , I completely respect their heart, which endured far after their bodies failed them.  Could you do the same?  Some people will never know.
pretty damn inspiring!

endurance

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2009, 12:35:05 PM »
Cool vid, endurance, thanks for posting. I got the marathon done in 4:25. Definitely not what I'd strived for but I learned alot about race strategy and the approach for next time. You know what they say about marathons: two is one, one is none.
Congrats on getting it done.  In my mind, that's a damn respectable time.  Averaging roughly 10 minute miles for over four hours is an accomplishment that perhaps 5% of our population will ever understand.  Respect due.

I think one thing that's overlooked in a training program for endurance sports is just what they give you in terms of determination and mental toughness.  You can't show up on race day without years of overall training and months of focused training and expect to finish.  In that training program you learn to overcome hundreds of obsticles; large and small, to get to the race.  It's a battle against inertia with resistance from family, weather, work, friends, and your own body.  The rare days are those where you wake up to a beautiful 60 degree morning with your GF out of town, no aches and pains, and nothing to do until noon that day.  More common is waking up with a sore knee/ankle/hip/shin, looking outside to see that it's raining, having to sneak outside without waking up the GF since it's the Sunday (the only day you could have slept in), and getting in a quick 90 minute run before you face a honeydo list.