Author Topic: "Core" pricing on EGC2 Batteries??  (Read 7906 times)

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
"Core" pricing on EGC2 Batteries??
« on: January 02, 2013, 09:21:06 PM »
Went to buy some new Duracell EGC2 batteries today.  Cost was about 92 bucks per 6V batt at Sam's Club.  Since i was not bringing in any old batteries, they were gonna charge me an additional 15 dollars PER battery for a "Core" charge.  Anyone know if this is the normal?  Im in Illinois, if anyone knows somewhere I can avoid this charge, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks. 

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Re: "Core" pricing on EGC2 Batteries??
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 07:32:37 AM »
I can't tell you exactly what the 'core charge' is,.. but I think it is a 'fee / tax' for disposal...  BUT don't take that a true.

Try looking to see if there is a Batteries Plus near - you might find the same battery without the core charge.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:44:35 AM »
I don't recall what they called it at the time, but they charged me the same thing when I purchased a battery at Walmart. All I had to do was bring in the receipt with the old battery within a certain number of days and the $15.00 was refunded.

Of course if you don't have a battery to exchange that can be a problem.

I started wondering if I could come up with used batteries to trade in for the ones I'm going to purchase for my battery bank.   :o

Offline 2paranoid

• Prepper
  • You can never be 2paranoid...
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 09:38:12 AM »
A core charge is pretty common in the automotive parts world, especially with parts that can be rebuilt. The most common core charges I can think of are on alternators and water pumps, which can be cleaned up and remanufactured for resale. They charge you a core charge against the possibility that you won't return the defective part, which eats into their profit.

I'm not sure if batteries are remanufactured anymore. I've seen "How It's Made" episodes that show batteries being recycled, but it starts with the batteries going into a shredder - not really what I'd consider remanufacturing. So the "core charge" is probably more like a disposal fee, where you're paying someone to take something away that they're going to either sell to a recycler or recycle themselves. Either way, they're getting paid twice, so it smells like a rip off.

2p

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 11:54:40 AM »
The charge is, like 2paranoid says, a fee to replace the lost revenue they get for selling your used battery to a recycler.  Most retailers give you some set time frame (14-30 days is pretty common) to bring in the old battery with your receipt to get a refund on the core charge.  You might find a retailer that doesn't charge it, but I wouldn't count on it.  Any store that isn't charging a core fee probably already has higher prices to compensate.

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 10:04:02 AM »
Ya its a recycling of old battery incentive.  I just find it odd they charge you more for nothing.  I get what they are doing,  just dont like it much.   Thanks for the responses.

Offline The Business End

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 05:44:46 PM »
Hi - I work for a national battery company and can explain this one.
Most(as in probably 95%) automotive and deep cycle batteries today are built with recycled lead.  If you return your core, the manufacturer is able to recoup some of the cost of the product by returning the old battery to be crushed and melted - if you don't return a core, they have to buy the lead elsewhere.  We charge $25 for a GC2 core, so at $15 per core(not to mention the $90 or so for the batteries), you're getting a darn good deal.

You won't be able to escape a core charge of some sort, but if you haven't bought the batteries yet and have a Costco membership, they(at least here in Arizona) charge $9 per core. 

- Ben

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 06:24:15 AM »
Hi - I work for a national battery company and can explain this one.
Most(as in probably 95%) automotive and deep cycle batteries today are built with recycled lead.  If you return your core, the manufacturer is able to recoup some of the cost of the product by returning the old battery to be crushed and melted - if you don't return a core, they have to buy the lead elsewhere.  We charge $25 for a GC2 core, so at $15 per core(not to mention the $90 or so for the batteries), you're getting a darn good deal.

You won't be able to escape a core charge of some sort, but if you haven't bought the batteries yet and have a Costco membership, they(at least here in Arizona) charge $9 per core. 

- Ben

Thanks!!  Great info. 

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 08:45:09 AM »

- Ben

Thanks for the answer. It really help. +1 Karma for quality info.
Seeing that this is your 1st post, remember to introduce yourself at the Intro Thread
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=89.0;topicseen

Offline racer038

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 08:50:48 PM »
In KY the core charge is also $15 at Sams.  I called and asked, they told me ANY battery would serve as a "core". I called my son, got an old ATV battery he had and took it in.  The guy at Sam's didn't want to accept it, but when I told him I called and they said ANY battery, he took it. 

Offline beakerello

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 08:05:36 PM »
Put an ad on your local Craigslist looking for used car batteries, in any condition.