Author Topic: fishing nets  (Read 3099 times)

Offline shangrily

• Survivor
  • me
fishing nets
« on: May 11, 2009, 08:00:48 PM »
Some states its illegal to own them so don't incriminate yourself

I have always liked setting out fish nets when the creek at my house rises, and have gotten some fish you cant even see on a "professional" fishing show. The largest fish i have ever got in the net was a 40 lb catfish. i catch them in the 25-35 lb range almost as often as i brush my teeth (not relay but pretty often). That is why i think nets and trout lines are the best to fish with.

Cloak

Re: fishing nets
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 04:56:55 AM »
Agree, keep it as a secret skill though....

Sandman

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:01:30 PM »
Absolutely! In a life survival situation, as Less Stroud would say, anything goes. But until then, watch the laws. So any discussion about this of course would be for those areas where such fishing is legal.

There is a small green fishing net out that seems to be perhaps part of an Air Force survival kit item that I just picked up at a show. It measures 8'x2.5' & rolls up nicely for my BoB.

I've also picked up a larger gill net at a fishing shop that is 12'x4', but takes up much more room when rolled up. It'd do better in my car kit.

I've seen native fishermen stake one end vertically at a water shoreline, then take out the other end in a sweeping arc across the water and then back to the first staked end, thus encapsulating the fish inside. They only pick out the choice fish they need to survive, and let the rest go. It's easy to over-fish an area using nets, thus the legal restrictions in many areas.

They tie sticks to the top of the net to act as natural floats, and tie rocks to the bottom to weigh it to the bottom securely.

Some would leave a net across a stream at a 45 deg. angle for a few hours and wait for fish to funnel down to one end in a catchment area, where they could be more readily harvested.

Nothing beats a net for survival meat production when fish are abundant in the area.

homeshow

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:29:08 PM »
a good 6 or 8 ft. cast net is a great tool.  get a small  one and learn to use it.  i can't tell you how many suppers have come out of a net.

Sandman

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 11:52:22 PM »
a good 6 or 8 ft. cast net is a great tool.  get a small  one and learn to use it.  i can't tell you how many suppers have come out of a net.
Oh yeah, I do also have a cast net. I even picked up a video on it. Now if I could only learn how to cast properly, lol.