Author Topic: What are you brewing?  (Read 168864 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: What are you brewing?
« Reply #420 on: January 02, 2015, 12:00:07 PM »
I have trouble getting my dubbles consistent.  Seems if I add a bit too much candi sugar/palm sugar, etc. it turbocharges the yeast and actually reduces F.G. too much.
For this reason I've started backing off both the amount of hops and late boil sugars.

Maybe I'm not exactly hitting the high gravity designed, but it's a nicer drinking beer that still has that aroma in that style.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #421 on: January 03, 2015, 02:25:34 PM »
Maybe I'm not exactly hitting the high gravity designed, but it's a nicer drinking beer that still has that aroma in that style.

This is the main reason I brew... I get to make it how I like it. I make a couple that aren't close to any one "style" but it makes me happy... that's what's important.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #422 on: January 26, 2015, 01:21:05 PM »
First brew of 2015 this past weekend. Made an Imperial Amber IPA. Came in at 1090 OG, 95 IBU - should end up around 9.5%

Drinking a carbed cider, Saaz blonde, Rye stout and Nugget pale ale

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #423 on: January 26, 2015, 02:08:51 PM »
Fermenting - Dark CA lager (variation of a steam beer)
On tap - Belgian Abbey Ale made from Maris Otter
On tap - NW pale ale made with home grown hops from last summer

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #424 on: January 28, 2015, 12:49:53 PM »
In primary - Ginger Pilsner
In Bottles - Pumpkin Ale
In Secondary - Prickly Pear Mead (made this one w/juice of pears from my land, water out of my well, and local honey just a few miles away.  Looking good so far but still a long ways off.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #425 on: January 29, 2015, 10:30:11 PM »
Just picked up 80# of Marris Otter. Some people would make a nice brown ale or a UK mild...

Me, I'm probably gonna hammer out a monster Black IPA.

Quick poll - do you like the name Cascadian Dark Ale or Black IPA for this style?

Cascadian Dark appeals to me, but it might be because I like names like "Baltic Porter" and "Foreign Extra"

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #426 on: January 29, 2015, 11:07:16 PM »
As someone who lives in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains and literally grows cascade hops on the side of the house, I feel qualified to answer this.

"IPA" anything is way over used, and there are so many, it's hardly a recognizable style any more.

So I'll vote for "cascadian".

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #427 on: January 30, 2015, 04:59:29 PM »
If it's a good beer, I will call it delicious...
I guess if you call an India PALE Ale... black... it is a contradiction... IF... you are trying to make to a specific style...

Like visible art or audible art edible art, such as beer, is subjective.

I understand if you are selling your art, it is best to give it a name that your customers will know and understand... but as homebrewers... if it feels good do it! (or tastes good)

GW

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #428 on: February 27, 2015, 08:58:56 PM »
Well - did brew the black IPA and made a big American wheat beer. Threw together a batch of cider. 15 gallons beer and 5 cider so far in 2015

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #429 on: March 21, 2015, 09:24:54 AM »
Brew day! Looks like today will be a Marris Otter / Cascade pale ale - going to add some coriander and orange peel to this one. Shooting for 4.5% or so - something sessionable.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #430 on: March 21, 2015, 03:45:32 PM »
I bought ingredients for a saison.  Not sure when I'll get 2-3 hours to myself to make it though...

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #431 on: March 21, 2015, 09:32:11 PM »
I didnt read through all 15 pages so I don't know if anything besides beer is okay but I have a cider in the carboy right now and a Blueberry mead that needs some more time to mellow out.

I normally do a carboy of regular cider and a carboy of cider sweetened with honey (Ciser?) I found a german recipe on line that I really like for that. I want to get into beer brewing but I havent found the time.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #432 on: March 22, 2015, 12:39:08 AM »
I drove up to the local apple orchards (yes it is the off season, but they still have fresh cider for sale) and picked up a gallon. I plan on fermenting half straight out with Lalvin 71B and the other will be a cyser with ~ 3 lbs of honey. I've never actually fermented cider before. Been making beer for over three years and wine for almost 5.

I brewed up a monster coffee stout last weekend, OG was 1.100. Tomorrow I plan on racking into secondary. It was a 10 gallon batch, so I'll split it. trying to decide if I want to oak and whiskey both portions or just one... I figure maybe start with one of the 5 gallon carboys will get the whiskey soaked oak cubes to start, to see how it tastes.

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #433 on: March 22, 2015, 12:44:15 AM »
I drove up to the local apple orchards (yes it is the off season, but they still have fresh cider for sale) and picked up a gallon. I plan on fermenting half straight out with Lalvin 71B and the other will be a cyser with ~ 3 lbs of honey. I've never actually fermented cider before. Been making beer for over three years and wine for almost 5.

I brewed up a monster coffee stout last weekend, OG was 1.100. Tomorrow I plan on racking into secondary. It was a 10 gallon batch, so I'll split it. trying to decide if I want to oak and whiskey both portions or just one... I figure maybe start with one of the 5 gallon carboys will get the whiskey soaked oak cubes to start, to see how it tastes.

The next step in my cider adventure is going to finish in used liquor barrels. I just have to decide what flavor would match well with the cider and find a place to get the barrel.

It also amazes me how many cider operations don't know about hard cider, I go into places and buy 10 gallons of cider and they wonder what I am doing with it. A local place did offer a deal for 50 gallons if you brought your own barrel. I should of jumped on that deal.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #434 on: May 07, 2015, 06:29:37 PM »
Bottled the white wine the other day, do not know what to call this style, it tastes good. It was white Muscat grapes grown in my yard fermented with EC1118 yeast. 14 1/2 bottles, not pretty bottles like Archer, just a mish-mash of used wine bottles I sterilized

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #435 on: May 07, 2015, 06:46:58 PM »
Poured some of my homnebrew at the Southern California Homebrew Festival last weekend. Almost went through all of my RyePA and about half of my coffee rye whiskey soaked oaked Russian Imperial Stout (5 gallons of each)

Luckily I still have 5 gallons of the RyePA (just racked it into a keg, it'll be carbed up in about a week) I also have a dark Saison finishing primary (10 gallons). I plan on splitting the batch, 5 gallons will get kegged, the other 5 will get a dose of cinnamon that is soaking in some vodka and a vanilla bean. I have 5 gallons of a tripel that I will be bottling in the next week with some Brett B (like Orval or Goose Island Matilda) I also started a gallon of JAOM (Joe's Ancient Orange Mead). I'm thinking about berwing a Double IPA with new German hops... Polaris and Hull Melon

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #436 on: May 07, 2015, 10:23:48 PM »
Bottled the white wine the other day, do not know what to call this style, it tastes good. It was white Muscat grapes grown in my yard fermented with EC1118 yeast. 14 1/2 bottles, not pretty bottles like Archer, just a mish-mash of used wine bottles I sterilized

my bottles were re-uses also, i just sterilized them and slapped a quick and dirty label on them.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #437 on: May 08, 2015, 05:19:21 PM »
I have a 6 gallon bucket of saison in the garage. 

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #438 on: May 09, 2015, 11:12:55 PM »

The results of my first bottling of the dry white muscat wine in my missmatched bunch of bottles

And, they are living under the homeschool cabinet in the living room right now, so they can be on their sides and keep those short t-corks moist. Eventually I will find a rack to move them into

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #439 on: January 06, 2016, 10:11:05 AM »
I have a 6 gallon bucket of saison in the garage.

I'm going to tap a keg of saison today. I know Belgians should be bottled but I'm lazy. Can't wait.

I'm formulating a tripel to brew next.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #440 on: January 06, 2016, 10:36:25 AM »
Last weekend brewed a Belgian.  Added amber syrup a little chocolate malt.  Realize it's slightly out of the style, but I wanted a dark/dry finish this time.  Should be ready by easter.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #441 on: January 06, 2016, 10:56:57 AM »
Realize it's slightly out of the style, but I wanted a dark/dry finish this time.

I've gotten VERY relaxed about style in Belgian brewing after reading books Like Farmhouse Ales and Brew Like a Monk. When you realize how many beers of this region are based on "what we grow" and "whatever's cheapest" there's plenty of wiggle room. For Pete's sake a "Trappist" could mean Orval or Chimay (which have almost nothing in common). I think if you are using the correct ingredients (base malt, hops, yeast) and following a Belgian process you're fine. We often forget that Duvel was just a goofy experiment.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #442 on: January 06, 2016, 03:57:09 PM »
I've gotten VERY relaxed about style in Belgian brewing after reading books Like Farmhouse Ales and Brew Like a Monk. When you realize how many beers of this region are based on "what we grow" and "whatever's cheapest" there's plenty of wiggle room. For Pete's sake a "Trappist" could mean Orval or Chimay (which have almost nothing in common). I think if you are using the correct ingredients (base malt, hops, yeast) and following a Belgian process you're fine. We often forget that Duvel was just a goofy experiment.

I also used Maris Otter for my base grain.  Total franken-brew...

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #443 on: January 06, 2016, 05:08:11 PM »
I also used Maris Otter for my base grain.  Total franken-brew...

I believe that a similar combination worked for Surly Brewing locally... They do a lot of "goof off" brews.

http://surlybrewing.com/

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #444 on: April 05, 2016, 12:38:06 PM »
Got a yeast starter going. Brewing a tripel tomorrow. 15 lbs of grain... Oh joy. But the heavyweight Belgians are a personal favorite. My last saison had mixed reviews. My wife and I loved it, my dad loved it, but my father in law complained that beer should "be bitter". I think after this batch I'll do a high-p-a for him with Maris Otter, biscuit, and East Kent Goldings. Not my first choice as I live for Belgian beer but a darn fun project beer.

Offline strangetanks

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #445 on: April 05, 2016, 07:50:54 PM »
Will be distilling a batch of gin this weekend.  It's strictly for medicinal purposes though.

Offline apollyon

• Prepper
« Reply #446 on: June 08, 2016, 07:28:54 AM »
Been awhile since I've been on. In the last few months we've bottled the barrel aged Scottish wee heavy and refilled the barrel with a Belgian quad. Both were great experiences. For the wee heavy, we pulled a gallon of wort and boiled it down to a quart (which made me nervous as hell because if you scorch it at all you can't use it). For the Belgian quad, we not only did a triple decoction but also made our own candi syrup.  Very pleased with the wee heavy now that it's bottle conditioned, and anxious to taste the quad when it comes out.  That said, I'm done with barrel projects for a bit.

I have an Oberon clone (using Bell's yeast) being dry hopped in the secondary now, and have a DIPA and a strawberry saison on deck.  I'm hoping to get my fermentation chamber finished before the saison so I can get the temp dialed in for that one.

Edit: I just realized it's been longer than I thought. I was just prepping for our first barrel project last time. The RIS recipe was amazingly good, but it turned out the original barrel we got had some stowaways. I still have a case of sour BBA imperial stout in the basement.  It's actually really good, even if it's not what we were going for.  That barrel is now being used for a Flanders Red (I opted out of that one in favor of the Scottish project).

Offline Beetlebum

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #447 on: June 08, 2016, 11:13:13 AM »
Picked about 8 lbs of cherries out of the backyard last weekend and now have a cherry mead bubbling in the basement. This is my first mead - looking forward to it.

I've brewed beers before but thanks to inspiration from TSP, I now have ciders and mead under the belt.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #448 on: June 09, 2016, 02:20:24 PM »
my wife has been doing elderflower wine. quick and dirty and she drinks it like soda. the alcohol content is not too high

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #449 on: June 09, 2016, 04:56:10 PM »
my wife has been doing elderflower wine. quick and dirty and she drinks it like soda. the alcohol content is not too high
Interesting.  How's this made?  Like dandelion wine?