Author Topic: What are you brewing?  (Read 168868 times)

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: What are you brewing?
« Reply #390 on: September 06, 2014, 10:35:12 AM »
I've been busy lately...

On tap: Oatmeal Rye Stout, Honey Brown Ale
Fermenting: English Mild, Dry Stout
Dry Hopping: Amarillo IPA
Ageing: Spiced Oak Bourbon Stout

Next brew day - can't decide between a simple wheat with Nugget or a Golden Promise / Citra smash

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #391 on: September 07, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »
Go with the GP/Citra SMaSH
then again... I am biased against wheat beers... I just can't enjoy them.  I will never turn down a beer that is handed to me... but if I have a choice, wheat beers are not on my list.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #392 on: September 07, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »
I am making a first wine, from Muscat grapes from my back yard, so free fruit. EC-1118 yeast as it can get warm here.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #393 on: September 07, 2014, 03:51:19 PM »
I picked up a few gallons of fresh apple cider in central WA this morning

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #394 on: September 09, 2014, 10:36:14 PM »
I've been thinking about doing a cider lately - I did one at Xmas and refrigerated it after a short fermentation. Kept it really sweet and probably only 3% ABV. Have to keep it cold and drink it fast so it doesn't over carb.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #395 on: September 09, 2014, 11:16:58 PM »
I've been thinking about doing a cider lately - I did one at Xmas and refrigerated it after a short fermentation. Kept it really sweet and probably only 3% ABV. Have to keep it cold and drink it fast so it doesn't over carb.

I have almost a half gallon from a year ago where I let it way over ferment.  It's not pleasant to drink

Offline mnotlyon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #396 on: September 10, 2014, 08:43:59 AM »
I have almost a half gallon from a year ago where I let it way over ferment.  It's not pleasant to drink

I'm brewing my very first batch right now. I suspect I'm gonna have too much alcohol in it when I'm done. I added way too much brown sugar to the store bought apple juice, and started with a specific gravity of 1.090.

If I think it's too strong when it's done, can I just cut it with more apple juice?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #397 on: September 10, 2014, 09:44:57 AM »
I'm brewing my very first batch right now. I suspect I'm gonna have too much alcohol in it when I'm done. I added way too much brown sugar to the store bought apple juice, and started with a specific gravity of 1.090.

If I think it's too strong when it's done, can I just cut it with more apple juice?

How long has it been fermenting?  I'd take a hydro reading now and see where you are at and even taste your sample afterwards.  If it's starting to get past where you want, I'd drop the temperature if possible.  I'm not a cider expert, but adding more apple juice would just "wake up" any residual yeast - similar to how priming sugar works to carbonate bottles.

Offline mnotlyon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #398 on: September 10, 2014, 09:57:40 AM »
How long has it been fermenting?  I'd take a hydro reading now and see where you are at and even taste your sample afterwards.  If it's starting to get past where you want, I'd drop the temperature if possible.  I'm not a cider expert, but adding more apple juice would just "wake up" any residual yeast - similar to how priming sugar works to carbonate bottles.

It's been fermenting about a week and a half, and just now starting to slow down a little.

I read an article where the author was making a sweet sparkling cider by back sweeting his cider after fermentation. Then, he'd bottle most of it normally, saving a little bit to bottle in plastic soda bottles. When the soda bottles got firm, he would taste one to assure his carbonation was where he wanted it, and pasteurize his bottles.

It may be a little more advanced than what I'm ready for, but that was the goal for this batch. I'm just worried that my brew is gonna be much stronger than it should be, and wasn't sure if I could stop the process early without causing problems.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #399 on: September 10, 2014, 10:58:54 AM »
It's been fermenting about a week and a half, and just now starting to slow down a little.

I read an article where the author was making a sweet sparkling cider by back sweeting his cider after fermentation. Then, he'd bottle most of it normally, saving a little bit to bottle in plastic soda bottles. When the soda bottles got firm, he would taste one to assure his carbonation was where he wanted it, and pasteurize his bottles.

It may be a little more advanced than what I'm ready for, but that was the goal for this batch. I'm just worried that my brew is gonna be much stronger than it should be, and wasn't sure if I could stop the process early without causing problems.

Be careful using glass bottles.  I actually had some cide grenades a few years back.  Thank goodness they exploded while no people or vehicles were parked nearby.  I actually pulled out glass shards from the dry wall.  Like an IED for home brewers...

Offline mnotlyon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #400 on: September 10, 2014, 03:12:41 PM »
Be careful using glass bottles.  I actually had some cide grenades a few years back.  Thank goodness they exploded while no people or vehicles were parked nearby.  I actually pulled out glass shards from the dry wall.  Like an IED for home brewers...

Thanks for the warning. The way I understand it, I have two things to worry about. First, when I heat the bottles, the added heat will cause the pressure to increase, which could be a dangerous time. I intend to bring my water up to temperature outside, then kill the heat, and insert my bottles. Then, put the lid on. I won't go near the pan until the water temperature has gone down considerably.

The second thing that could cause me trouble is if I don't get the cider hot enough to kill the yeast. My plan for this potential problem is to keep the cider refrigerated and drink often. :)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #401 on: September 10, 2014, 03:18:44 PM »
Why heat the bottles?  Sure that's one method to sanitize, but you also have products like StarSan and similar.  In any case, you may wait for the glass to cool before bottling.  I did beer like that for years.

Offline mnotlyon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #402 on: September 11, 2014, 09:54:30 AM »
Why heat the bottles?  Sure that's one method to sanitize, but you also have products like StarSan and similar.  In any case, you may wait for the glass to cool before bottling.  I did beer like that for years.

I'm trying to pasteurize the yeast inside the already bottled cider. Hopefully, this way, I can have a sweet, carbonated, cider that doesn't blow up if I  take it out of the fridge.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #403 on: September 12, 2014, 04:01:41 AM »
bottled another 50 bottles of imperial porter

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #404 on: September 12, 2014, 06:56:09 PM »

If you heat a sealed bottle... that is already carbed... I'm pretty sure it will explode. 

If you are talking about pasteurizing before you seal your bottles, you will be fine.  I don't have the equation at my finger tips... but I believe that if the temp reaches 160 degrees, it only needs to stay there for ~ 15 seconds to end all microbial life.  Don't quote me on that... you should check with a Ball canning book, or on the interwebs

Offline mnotlyon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #405 on: September 17, 2014, 09:54:29 AM »
If you heat a sealed bottle... that is already carbed... I'm pretty sure it will explode. 

If you are talking about pasteurizing before you seal your bottles, you will be fine.  I don't have the equation at my finger tips... but I believe that if the temp reaches 160 degrees, it only needs to stay there for ~ 15 seconds to end all microbial life.  Don't quote me on that... you should check with a Ball canning book, or on the interwebs

I got my pasteurization idea here: [url]http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/fantastic-hard-cider-recipe-instructions-fall-spice-cherry-variations-411469//url] This technique has been used by a number of people. Some have more success than others.

For some reason, I can't follow directions very well. I'm always looking for an easier way. I decided to put my sweet, carbed cider in my dishwasher using the sanitize function. I read that the temperature should reach 155 degrees, which should be fine for pasteurization.

I had bottled my juice into 1 quart flip top bottles, and two 1.1 gallon mini kegs. About half way through the cycle, the mini kegs started deforming from the pressure. They didn't blow their seals, or rupture, but they aren't pretty and keg-shaped anymore.  :o I heard the pop, so I stopped the process to check on them. Some of the flip tops were starting to hiss a little. I decided the experiment was over, so I turned the dishwasher off, and waited for everything to cool down before jostling anything.

I was concerned that the large containers did not have a long enough cycle time to fully pasteurize, so I put everything into the fridge that I had room for. One mini keg is still setting in my sink in the basement. It is still deformed, but doesn't appear to be getting worse. It will stay there until it ruptures, or I get some help drinking it's contents, whichever comes first.

I opened one of the flip top bottles from the fridge yesterday. It was perfectly carbinated, pretty yummy, and very strong. A pint of this stuff will make you talk a bit funny. I didn't wanna see what a quart would do to me.  :beer:

I've got multiple other bottles of cider that I cut with various juices as an experiment to see what I like. I have not tried to pasteurize them. I let them carb for a day and a half, got scared and put them in the fridge. I'm hoping the cold temps will keep them safe, and that the power doesn't go out!  :jaw-drop:

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #406 on: September 17, 2014, 09:59:51 AM »
I waited a bit too long, but harvested my hops.  Many had started to turn brown.

I'm going to limit these to aroma hops, as I can't predict the acidity.  Slightly bummed, but I have a few pounds of yakima hops in the freezer from last year.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #407 on: September 17, 2014, 06:32:44 PM »
Kegged my Amarillo IPA, delicious.

Last one I compromised and made a session IPA with Golden promise, about a half pound wheat for head retention, 4oz honey malt - bittered with nugget hops, 1 oz Citra at 15, 2oz at flame out and I'm gonna dry hop with another ounce.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #408 on: October 13, 2014, 09:07:34 PM »
Let's see - Dry Irish Stout / English Mild / Amarillo IPA on tap. Citra Pale Ale is a hop bomb and currently carbonating.

Just put together some cider for the holidays - 4 gallons of store juice and 1 gallon of local cider. Added 1 # dextrose. Using S-33 ale yeast as an experiment. OG is 1056 - I'm going to let this go totally dry, hit it with some Ksorb and KMBS to slow down the yeast, back sweeten with a ton of concentrate apple juice and keg / force carbonate it. Shooting for sweet, sparking cider around 5%.

Next up is likely more pale ale - it's my favorite. I have a bunch of Nugget for bittering and 7C hops from falconer flight. Probably 2 row, handful of wheat and hammer in the hops late. Maybe 7% beer with 60ish IBU.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #409 on: October 13, 2014, 09:15:48 PM »
I started my first wine batch last weekend. Using a kit (so I can do it right the first time). The kit I am using:
http://www.baderbrewing.com/products/selection-international/winexpert-selection-international-new-zealand-pinot-noir

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #410 on: October 13, 2014, 11:40:16 PM »
I have a gallon of fresh apple cider vinegar in the fridge that we dont need for fresh drinking and a bunch of ripe hichiya persimmons -- there must be some kind of cider I can do with these ? I wasted alot of time today trying to find a recipe online

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #411 on: October 14, 2014, 09:37:59 PM »
Cider vinegar is not going to be much good for hard cider.

Persimmons could certainly be fermented - how much total do you think you have?

I would probably ferment the cider then rack it onto the fruit and let it age in secondary for a month or two, then package and age for a few more months.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #412 on: October 14, 2014, 09:45:36 PM »
mnotlyon - bottled, sweet, carbonated cider is on of the toughest to achieve.

Simple: sweet still cider / dry carbonated cider / kegged sweet  carbed cider.

To make a sweet carbed cider you have to pasteurize or sweeten with splenda (gross).

DANGER OPTION - make small batches, 1 or 2 gallons - ferment it dry and then backsweeten and bottle. At the same time, bottle 1 in a plastic bottle. When the plastic bottle is carbed, get all the rest into the fridge and keep it cold. DRINK IT FAST. Cold will slow the yeast, but not kill them. The bottles will continue to carb until they over carb or BLOW UP.

But if you time it right, it works perfect. Make small batches so you can drink it quick.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #413 on: October 14, 2014, 09:54:17 PM »
Cider vinegar is not going to be much good for hard cider.

Persimmons could certainly be fermented - how much total do you think you have?

I would probably ferment the cider then rack it onto the fruit and let it age in secondary for a month or two, then package and age for a few more months.

I mistyped, it was fresh apple cider NOT vinegar.

Anyway, today, I put the 1 gallon of apple cider in a bucket then put around 8 cups (16 individual fruits) of persimmon into a net bag, sqeezed and squished the persimmon, net bag is still hanging out in the juice -- took the hygrometer and I think it read 1.072, alittle hard to get a reading as the stuff is very thick and viscous from the persimmon, so I am thinking of leaving it be without adding sugar or honey -- I am also letting it just wild ferment.

I can get hold of ALOT of persimmons if I want. Online doesnt say much that is clear about fermenting them, I guess out of state people are often using american native persimmons, while out here we get alot of oriental persimmons, hichiya.

This is loosly based on a recipe from Wild ferment book by katz  -- his is  cyser tho, his recipe would have added 1 gallon of water and a quart of honey to the amounts of juice/persimmon. that would be $23 of honey, and not sure I would like it more, he is midwest with the native persimmons.

I was wondering about spicing it tho, and if I should add any sugar or not. It is awful sweet tasting, the apple juice was a brix of 17 -- that was read right when it was juiced, 4 days ago -- before adding the super sweet persimmon, although I think my hygrometer reading when the 2 were put together (after the apple juice semi-fermented for 4 days a bit on its own) was 1.072. The way it tastes right now before fermentng is almost pumpkinish, like it might be cool with spices
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:03:14 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #414 on: October 15, 2014, 09:42:36 AM »
I need another keg.  Have a 5 gallon fermentation bucket with a fall NW ale with no place to go :(

Offline apollyon

• Prepper
« Reply #415 on: December 17, 2014, 06:52:54 AM »
The robust porter is pretty much gone. The Gingerbread Ale and Cocoa Porter turned out really well...so much so that I will probably put them on the rotation for next year's holiday brewing.  The GLCA clone turned out even better than last year's batch...and much more potent.  Target OG was 1.065 and it came in at 1.076 (finished at around 8.7% ABV). I think the sugar content of the honey played a significant part (last year's batch was honey purchased at the LHBS, where this year's was the orange blossom honey I used for the mead). 

Up next is a double batch of imperial stout. A group of us purchased a 55 gal barrel from Hoppin' Frog and are all brewing the same recipe. I'm doing an extra 5 gal batch that will either serve as a reserve batch in case somebody encounters major off flavors (we'll taste before we put them in the barrel) or as a comparison batch for after the barrel aging is done.

I purchased some surplus specialty grains from the guy who did the bulk buy for the barrel project (chocolate, roasted barley, 120L), so I'm working on a breakfast stout recipe to use up some of the grains.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #416 on: December 17, 2014, 09:56:40 AM »
I have a Belgian double I just brewed on 12/15/14.  It had a O.G. of 1.070.

Here's hoping the Wyeast Belgian Ardennes does the trick.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #417 on: December 23, 2014, 01:49:46 PM »
Just finished my first batch of quickie wine:

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #418 on: January 02, 2015, 08:51:12 AM »
How did that Dubbel turn out Smurf?

Have you tried the wine yet Archer?
How did you get the juice? Do you have vines or did you buy a kit?

My last batch of brew for 2014 ended up infected...  >:(
I hate dumping 11 gallons of beer  >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'(

I am up in central Wisconsin visiting family for the holidays, but as soon as I get home, I'll be brewing an IPA to fill my empty kegs, and then maybe look at brewing a Russian Imperial Stout to age until the end of 2015  ;D

I haven't made a mead in a while, I may put a 5 gallon carboy to use with a batch of that....

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #419 on: January 02, 2015, 09:14:40 AM »
Have you tried the wine yet Archer?
How did you get the juice? Do you have vines or did you buy a kit?

The wine turned out good. young but has a nice taste. I look forward to trying it in 6 months and a year if it lasts that long. It seems to evaporate, I open a bottle, and it disappears ;)