Author Topic: So what should WE in NE do in the winter??  (Read 1219 times)

Offline bristgus

• Prepper
So what should WE in NE do in the winter??
« on: November 19, 2009, 11:07:26 PM »
So, I'm wondering, a lot of these tips/suggestions/plans in the forum are put out there for people who are not subject to the random climate that we are, so what's a prepper to do? Obviously making food and heat preps are necessary, but how else should we prep? I currently am not fiscally stable enough to own property, so how can I prep my potted soil for the spring garden? What other preps should I be looking forward to? How does one transform from grasshopper to ANT when we're so dependent on other things?

Experiences are a plus, all recommendations welcome!

*Just stats for myself, currently living in Enfield (Thompsonville, YIKES!), renting, and living on a very modest income. The fiance and I are young, debt-free, and she's semi on board with the whole survivalist thing.

So what's a guy to do other than hoarding food and reading up??

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
Re: So what should WE in NE do in the winter??
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 03:45:31 AM »
We've started an indoor garden ... pictures soon.  My wife is quilting and crocheting with our daughters.  We all go to the range with reasonable frequency.  Experiments and learning brewing, wine making, and preservation techniques for various kinds of food are going on this winter.  Improving physical fitness and learning new skills in this realm.  We could get into politics too, but I don't think that's where your question was going.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 04:55:23 AM »
Aside from the usual winter things, I find that this is a great time for "lists" and for reading.
Make sure you have car kits for the vehicles, then settle down to making a real paln for SHTF, learning a skill, finding other like minded people and planning a garden of sorts.

Offline broken1

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 06:12:08 AM »
The basic process I use(d) was what systems am I dependent on, what can I do to mitigate the effect if they are removed. If you are rural the impact is likely to be higher and for a longer duration than if you are in a more urban area. Prepare for ice and snow disrupting your life, then your local area's life, then region, etc... A good ice storm isn't that uncommon and can actually be a bit of a disaster depending on the scale and the area affected. It can be overcome with some planning and forethought.

I'm not sure of the etiquette, so I will link to it as opposed to copying and pasting it.

This is my experience with the 08-09 ice storm:
Broken1's Ice-PAW 09 (Dec08 NH Ice Storm)

A couple other threads from the same event:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=38294
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=38461

Herbalpagan knows, she was there. Hi Herbal!

Offline Hiltonizer

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 07:56:24 PM »
Reading up has been mentioned here plenty.. but practice some basic home skills.

The wife just picked up a sewing machine and is practicing on some old clothes, we're also experimenting with repurposing a bunch of things and crafts.

Cold winter days are a great time to experiment with new recipes and so forth, as the heat put off by the oven isn't going to waste.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 07:04:16 AM »
I hope you don't mind a Michigander adding to your Region 1 discussion...   ;D

As previously mentioned, winter is a great time to get all your indoor preps done, as well as beginning to research for next summer's outdoor preps. I know I'll be researching starting a garden, so I can get an early jump on things in the Spring. I probably should have done some prepping on this in the Fall, but it didn't happen that way.

My biggest piece of advice is to get OUTSIDE and do stuff. Scope out your neighborhood on snowshoes or x-country skis. If you have a woods behind you that you consider part of your prep resources, get out there and explore that in the winter.

Work on a project outside, maybe cutting some trees or making a bunch of sandbags or whatever. The idea is that in a SHTF scenario, there's a decent chance it will happen in winter, or extend into winter. Acclimating yourself to embrace winter rather than pseudo-hybernate through winter will be the biggest skill you can give yourself.

Try winter camping. Even if it is in your backyard for an overnighter. If you have a Bug Out Bag, make sure it gets adjusted for this season. That space blanket from Walmart will be woefully inadequate during these months. A backyard camp out will give you the chance to evaluate your shelter, and your clothes, for this.

Hope this helps,
D

Offline survivininct

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Homeowner's Friend Podcast
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 06:06:20 PM »

*Just stats for myself, currently living in Enfield (Thompsonville, YIKES!), renting, and living on a very modest income. The fiance and I are young, debt-free, and she's semi on board with the whole survivalist thing.

Hi - Were you involved in the community garden by the fire house by chance? 

Offline Muddyboots

• Danger: Do Not Inflate
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Hoodlum's Ambassador
    • Hood's Woods- the Hoodlums Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 06:27:25 PM »
There is a good anthropological argument that the long winters of northern Europe actually helped a minority group more or less conquer the world. Be that as it may, Winter is NOT idle time! You think, build, plan and just keep on keepin' on! I think Donald nailed it in his post; get out in it. You aren't far from the AT and a bunch of world class woods. Go get to know it in all seasons! Yeah, I'm biased. Like a lot of Hoodlums, I think that being confident, competent and comfortable with basic living skills makes you a better survivor regardless of the circumstances or local. A complete utility shut down in the N.E. is nothing for a confident winter camper. It's just a break in the daily stuff. Also we are more exposed to a  real dangers like "failed transport" scenarios in snow country. I've had long talks with the Socal desert rats about it. We snowshoe hares are something like thirty times more likely to face that in a given year than they are. Do a local conditions "Threat Matrix" and use your new understanding to guide your training. Then get out there and train.

Q: An avalanche shovel is to snow county what a machette is to________________.

HTH!

Muddyboots, From NY's southernteir snowbelt and New England.

Offline beagle76

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 06:55:13 PM »
Winter is a great time to learn new skills and plan for the spring. My wife is learning to make the biltong, we bought a Country Living grain mill and will be grinding our own grains and baking with them, ice fishing... Its a great time to heat the house up cooking and canning the spagetti sauce for use during the summer. It's a good time to get your home made wine going and bottled. There is a poultry show at the Big E in January or February that is a lot of fun. Get as much indoor stuff done as you can so that you can be outside when the spring comes!

Offline CheshireCat

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 07:30:24 PM »

Drink lots of beer.

(hey, we gotta stay warm...)

Offline hunker down bunker

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 08:49:26 AM »
Drink lots of beer.

(hey, we gotta stay warm...)

A beer jacket helps chop the wood!  Can't start the spring garden planning soon enough, starting seeds indoors doesn't use that much electricity...

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Ask-Our-Experts/Organic-Gardening/How-to-Start-Seeds-Indoors-Using-Fluorescent-Lights.aspx

http://www.cheapvegetablegardener.com/2009/01/cheap-led-light-and-grow-box.html

Also a great thing to work out is something i've been slacking on, creating that SHTF/Bug out contact list and info/route binder (with identical copies) that Jack often mentions.  He talks about it episode 267, at about 30 minutes in, in which i think he refers listeners to episode 148 for more details.  Not to mention many others in which he touches upon it.

Offline beagle76

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 05:22:50 AM »
I can't wait to get started planting either. I am going to try some new things (to me) this year. In addition to the traditional garden, I am planning on trying some raised bed gardens. I want to try the square foot garden and Squantos (Three Sisters) gardens. Also, potatos in containers and hay. And beans - pole beans around trees, in with the grapes, basically everywhere! Had some good yeilds with the small amount I planted last year. This year, plant enough to can. We ordered mostly heirloom seeds.

Has anyone tried Kiwi's in zone 1?

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 06:27:37 AM »
I'll add my two cents, which will basically echo previous posts.  I just started seriously prepping this fall, so I'm still a newbie.  Like you, my initial focus has been food.  One of the things I decided was to start dehydrating.  Picked up a relatively inexpensive dehydrator  (to make sure I would continue doing it before spending money on a high quality unit) and have been doing that weekly.  In addition to dehydrating fruits and vegetables, I also learned how to make jerky (which miraculously never makes it into food storage).  I've been ice fishing for a couple years now, so I continued that. 

The other thing I've been doing is identifying other skills that I want to learn.  Next winter I'm either going to pickup cross country skiing or snow shoeing.  I also saw a post on this forum regarding making cheese which peaked my interest.....along with using herbs for medicinal purposes.

Specifically for you right now, I would look at starting that Spring garden indoors.  If you have the room, run to Home Depot and pick up a 4' shoplight and a couple of natural daylight bulbs.  For our area (I'm about 30 miles west of Boston), the next couple weeks is the time to start.  Even though they say not to, I've found that starting lettuce indoors is much better that trying to direct seed.  The only lettuce plant that survived for me last year was the one my daughter started in school and brought home.  You can put lettuce outside pretty early in the spring.  You'll want to start your warm weather plants (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers) pretty soon too.

I think the biggest problem I have is that there are so many things out there, it is focusing...... 

Offline bristgus

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 10:34:20 PM »
Sorry for not being so active on this forum, been quite busy! Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I'm certainly incorporating many of them into my preps! I am on the wait list for our community garden and the father-in-law to be let me rototill a good plot of his yard to get some food in, AND I've got the potted vegtables for my apartment (last year was cucumbers, beans, tomatoes, carrots, peppers and radishes, I think I'm going to be adding a potted dwarf fruit tree, onions and garlic into the mix this year). Got the seeds started, and polytunnel erected to get a good jump on the growing season.

Also as suggested I've been reading quite a bit, and I highly recommend "Gardening when it counts" which is definitely a different perspective (although slightly pessimistic) approach to growing your own food.

Next stop: getting some property, livestock, and some non-corporate based skills (Blacksmithing and carpentry perhaps?!?) to help my "income resiliency" plan just in case.

Thank you so much for your ideas, I'll post pics and let you know how everything is going.

Offline Thanson_V

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 04:48:10 PM »
(Bump)
I've been staying in and paying off debt. How else can we afford our bug out properties?
I also find it's a good time to work in your shop on stuff. I've been dismantling pallets (which are free and come with nails) and making beehives and birdhouses. I will later use these to teach the kids about the birds and the bees. Yuck yuck!

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 08:00:18 PM »
I spend the winter months ice fishing, rabbit hunting, exploring on snowshoes, and doing some handloading. I also read alot.
That's when I'm not busy working, plowing snow, shoveling snow, or filling the woodstove... 8)

Offline drag0nk1ng

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 06:29:01 AM »
My family spends the winter months:
  • Planning for Spring Gardening
  • Working with our livestock
  • Research Prepping and farming ideas
  • Most Importantly... TRY NOT TO FREEZE TO DEATH

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 08:26:26 AM »
Come to Liberty Forum and see Jack!

http://freestateproject.org/libertyforum 

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 07:56:30 AM »
Maybe learn how to make emergency snowshoes, make sure you have a mini snowshovel, learn how to make a rocket stove

Offline drag0nk1ng

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 08:21:58 AM »
Come to Liberty Forum and see Jack!

http://freestateproject.org/libertyforum

I would love to... just can't afford it.    :(

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 09:24:03 AM »
This winter I want to try snowshoeing. 

Most winters I order my seeds for the garden, read garden books and start my seedlings.
My friends get together a large order at www.fedcoseeds.com each December.  We buy in bulk and divide up the seeds.  This saves us a ton of money. 

In January-March I stock up on coupons and buy most of the personal hygiene supplies, soaps and other cleaning supplies for the year.  Many companies have great coupons out and the stores have great sales and clearance.  Combining the sales an coupons saves me a bundle of money on things I am brand specific about.
I also knock out a bunch of Christmas shopping for the next year.

I go to the Liberty Forum every year. It is a great event and I first heard Jack there.  8)

Offline Frances

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 02:13:22 PM »
GROW FOOD! Read Elliot Colemans books. Start now and harvest all winter.

Offline annmedford

• Prepper
  • what we do matters
    • My etsy site! Help me fund my permaculture and prepping efforts!
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 09:08:28 AM »
My family spends the winter months:
  • Planning for Spring Gardening
  • Working with our livestock
  • Research Prepping and farming ideas
  • Most Importantly... TRY NOT TO FREEZE TO DEATH

+1 and love your tag line, In Maine, you?

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 03:48:56 PM »
Thinking this appropriate for the summertime revival of this thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxlNWruxXFA

Offline Thanson_V

• Survivor
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 10:26:34 AM »
'Tis the season. I figured this topic was bump-worthy. I do a lot of indoor maintenance. Paint, carpet, floor. I rent so I get reimbursed by the landlord for time and mats. This goes into prep stock(and yes, some fun).

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 03:34:17 PM »

I find I get depressed at the onset of winter sometimes because I am thinking of all the cold weather ahead .. I am trying to figure out more ways to have a positive attitude about that