Author Topic: Pomona Pectin  (Read 21908 times)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Pomona Pectin
« on: June 12, 2012, 07:40:13 PM »
Per request by Morning Sunshine, Pomona Pectin will now have its own thread... beginning with her first posting about it:

this is something about which I have wondered.  Thank you for posting.

until I get to that point however, I would like to plug Pomona Pectin.  You can buy it in bulk and the recipes are easy to follow, double or half (the last being particularly nice when you are talking huckleberries, and you are lucky to get just enough berries for a half batch!) as needed.  That is what I am planning to put in my storage to use while I am trial-and-erroring my homemade pectin.  I bought a hlaf-pound 2 years ago and have been very pleased.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Pomona Pectin
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:41:10 PM »
Follow up posting:

Okay, Archer, lvschant,

what are the results of your pectin experiments?
Archer - you were going to compare the pomona to your low-sugar ball - how did it go?
lvschant - what kind of jam did you make with your homemade pectin?  How did it turn out?

updates please!  I just bought 2 flats of raspberries and 2 of blackberries and more jam jars and am about to finish off the pectin in my cupboard!  I need to order more!  Now.  Yesterday.  last week, even!

oh, and while on the site, I saw this little gem of info: "* Concentrated and economical -- each box makes two to four recipes. "  each box is one ounce.  so one ounce of pectin makes 4 recipes of jam and 2 of jelly.  so a pound has 16 ounces, meaning 64 batches of jam.  which fits my experience that the half-pound made at least 25 (that I could recall and count) batches of jam and jelly, since it would be 32 batches of jam in a 1/2 pound.

okay, now I am trying to decide.....

I have just discovered pomona @ Amazon..... I can get 6 1-oz boxes for $21.51; the 1/2 pound from pomonapectin.com is 29.25
that  means to get the same amount (24 oz) I would have to order:
4 of the 6 1-oz at 86.04
3 of the 1/2-pound bulks at 87.75
so it is cheaper to do the boxes.  but.....

that is a lot of smaller boxes instead of one large container of the bulk.
it is cheaper in the boxes, but more inconvenient?   ???
thinking thinking thinking....
what do you think?

further thinking:
it qualifies for the free shipping over $25 at Amazon, so shipping is also cheaper if I buy 2 6-packs (which I was rather planning to do anyway, or rather was planning on a 1-lb bulk order); only I cannot find a shipping charge on the pomona website.  so, is the shipping free (included in the cost?) or do they add that in later?
but, the 1-lb bulk is still cheaper by a long shot
but, the individual boxes would keep the pectin from getting contaminated (or spilled), which has crossed my mind every time I open my bulk bag.

Sorry, was out of town last week.
I did 3 patches, 1 with normal pectin and 2 with pomona. Not much difference in the resulting jam as to consistency. But I prefer the Pomona recipe. It uses less sugar so you actually taste the strawberries. The pomona recipe with honey is great, the strawberries and honey complement each other very nicely. I'll be doing this more often.
I like the price vs batches on the pomona. Even for the small boxes, you can get 3-4 times more than with a normal pectin. It's a little more involved to use, but well worth the little bit of extra effort.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 11:47:22 AM »
Bumping the thread since it is time to make some jelly.

To answer Archer's question about shipping from Pomona, the order page says that shipping is built into the price, so free shipping there also.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 02:09:03 PM »
Bumping the thread since it is time to make some jelly.

To answer Archer's question about shipping from Pomona, the order page says that shipping is built into the price, so free shipping there also.

amazing, i'd forgotten about this thread. i just ordered 2 packages of pomona pectin yesterday from their website..

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 02:39:12 PM »
I have been making syrups with my berries this summer.  I have used the pamona pectin at 1/4 the recommended amounts for jam.  I tried 1/2, but it was too thick and didn't really thin out when warm.  So, 1/4 the amount it is.  so if the Strawberry jam recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of pectin, use 1/2 teaspoon for syrup, and everything else the same.

We have made and enjoyed strawberry, blackberry, and blueberry syrups.  I am planning raspberry and peach as well before the end of the season.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 02:46:34 PM »
yum those syrups sound good.
i boiled down some mixed berries to make a thin syrup for putting on yogurt/ice cream...

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 07:10:18 PM »
I've made batches of peach syrup.  Of course, I was trying to make peach jam.  Does Pomona work so well that there's little chance of me doing this again?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 08:25:37 PM »
all of my jams with Pomona have jelled nicely.  even with the low sugar.  In fact, the blackberry syrup, I tried half the pectin instead of a quarter, and it is almost too thick to use as a syrup unless we heat it (which we do anyway - hubby has this thing against cold syrup on hot pancakes!).

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 07:39:13 AM »
wow! What a great idea for the syrups... Thanks MS.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 01:57:30 PM »
bump.

just made 14 half-pints of jam; 12 half-pints of syrup.  Yummy.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 04:21:11 PM »
made 23 pints of purple plum jam... tastes good..

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 06:45:09 AM »
You're making me very jealous, you two.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 11:18:51 AM »
You're making me very jealous, you two.
wanna jar?

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 07:38:27 AM »
:popcorn:

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 01:42:48 PM »
How long does Pomona Pectin store for?   

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 02:52:31 PM »

I've never used it-but want to.  At my master food preservers course they said it has no expectation date when purchased in bulk.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 12:21:35 PM »
forever and a day..

from their faq:
Pomona’s Pectin is a shelf-stable product. It keeps indefinitely. Store it cool and dry in an airtight container.

http://www.pomonapectin.com/faq/

i made some blackberry jam last weekend from blackberries picked at the local Chinese buffet place.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 08:48:45 PM »
i made some blackberry jam last weekend from blackberries picked at the local Chinese buffet place.

What was the price per pound for blackberries at the buffet?  ;D

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 11:13:47 PM »
What was the price per pound for blackberries at the buffet?  ;D
not in the buffet line, the workers kept them for themselves.
they even showed my GF where to get more of them

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 08:21:24 PM »
Other than bulk packaging and shelf life, what does Pomona's pectin offer that is better than Ball or Certo, etc.?

Also, what is the "calcium water" that is included in the Pomona box?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 09:12:51 PM »
Other than bulk packaging and shelf life, what does Pomona's pectin offer that is better than Ball or Certo, etc.?

I refer you to the first posts here that I talk about pomona.
it lasts
you can half/double/triple your batches of jam (useful when you only get 2 c of huckleberries or want to get all your raspberry jam done at once)
the jam is mostly fruit, not mostly sugar, and the taste proves it
it jells consistantly, even with low sugar
you can use other sweeteners - sugar, stevia, honey, fruit juice, etc
also cost per batch of jam - see the above chart

the "calcium water" is not liquid.  It is a calcium powder that you mix with water before you make the jam.  It keeps in the fridge for a few weeks, so I make some up and use it through jam season.  I usually only do 1/4 cup (4 T or 8 batches of jam) at a time

hope that helps.  I cannot imagine going back to the packages from the store.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 09:51:55 AM »

better flavor, less sugar needed. 1 box does 2-3 batches (not 1 box=1 batch).

and see Morning Sunshine's posts back at the beginning as she says

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 10:55:24 AM »
I finally used my stored pomona pectin this summer, making crab apple jelly. I made two different batches... I think there is a learning curve with it as compared with Sure-jell.

The first batch I made, I simply used the recipe for crab apple jelly in Jackie Clay's canning book... lots of sugar. I figured it should work just as well with Pomona pectin as Sure-jell, so did everything the same except used the pomona pectin and calcium water with Jackie's recipe.

Well... I learned the hard way that if you have too much sugar, that pectin will NEVER dissolve by just "stirring vigorously". I ended up blending it in the blender, in batches to get the grainy pectin granules to dissolve. After discovering this on my own, I did find the little note on the instructions that recommended not adding more sugar than half the volume of the juice or fruit until after the pectin is dissolved... then add the additional sugar if you like.

The next batch I made was done following their recipe... it was not enough pectin, so I had to go back and add more... and cook again to try to get it to jell (quite surprising on crab apple jelly, I thought).

MS: Can you give us any hints on particular types of jams, jellies, syrups you have made where  you have varied the amounts of the pectin/calcium water/sugar to get good results? I'm thinking there must be some tips experienced pomona people could share...

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 10:14:37 AM »
So glad I found this thread! I've been looking for an alternative pectin that I can buy in bulk and is low sugar. Looks like I might be stocking up on some fruit from the farmer's market this weekend ;D

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 11:15:46 AM »
So glad I found this thread! I've been looking for an alternative pectin that I can buy in bulk and is low sugar. Looks like I might be stocking up on some fruit from the farmer's market this weekend ;D

it's good stuff....

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 11:36:16 AM »

I have always wondered why over the years, that by a heritage house kitchen door (house over 80-100 years old) why there was always a quince tree/bush. I have seen them since I was little and no one knew what they were for. But last year I found out after I researched what the possible reason was for the farmhouse here which has two of them. PECTIN! When the last missus of the house moved here, the woman who planted most of the herbs, fruits and trees here, it was in the 1920's, right before the Great Depression. There was no running water here until the 1970's and it would have been a 1 1/2-day  trip one way to the next town through the rough narrow roads (and still are), the mountains and back. The lady of the house was a reknown canner and she had a lovely huge walk in pantry room (which I documented the beejeebies out of before the old house was torn down).

The plus on making your own is that it can be organic. Pomona is probably made from conventional peels of lemon, lime and oranges.

Homemade Quince Pectin

1. For every pound of washed and sliced quince (leave the peels on), add 2 cups of water and combine in a large pot. One pound of fruit yields approximately 1/2 a cup of pectin.

2. Cover the pot and bring to a rolling boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. The fruit will be fork tender. Allow to cool.

3. Strain the quince mixture through a jelly bag or cheesecloth, hanging the bag over a bowl overnight (like you would when draining cheese).

4. Boil the strained juice in a pot over high heat until reduced by half. The pectin is usable immediately and will keep for about a week in the refrigerator. To process the hot pectin for canning, pour it into sterile pint jars (boiled for 10 minutes), leaving only a 1/4 inch of headspace, for five minutes in a boiling water canner. Homemade pectin also freezes well.

To determine the strength of the pectin stir two tablespoons of grain alcohol into one teaspoon of homemade pectin. Juices that are high in natural pectin will form a lot of bulky, gelatinous material. Those with average pectin content will form a few pieces of the jelly-like substance. Juices that are low in pectin content will form only small, flaky pieces of sediment. If the pectin test weak, continue to boil it down further. Do NOT incorporate the test batch back into your main batch of pectin. Toss it.

Generally, 2/3 cups liquid pectin will set four cups of most low-pectin fruit or juice.  So as an example, if you are making strawberry or blueberry jam use the 2/3:4 cups ratio. Quince is a pretty reliable pectin producer, but the strength of the pectin will still vary from batch to batch.

Cedar - who may be too late to make pectin this year

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 09:14:47 PM »
wow. nice find cedar

Offline konaexpress

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member