Author Topic: Fermenting vegetables using the yogurt setting in the Instant Pot  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
Why not? This time of year it is difficult to maintain a consistent temperature for fermentation anywhere in the house. After watching instructions on making wine in the instant pot with the yogurt setting, why not sauerkraut and other vegetables. I searched and cannot find anyone who has done this, so I guess it is up to me. Going to start with cabbage and salt and go for 48 hours on the yogurt setting.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Fermenting vegetables using the yogurt setting in the Instant Pot
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 09:18:00 AM »
Why not? This time of year it is difficult to maintain a consistent temperature for fermentation anywhere in the house. After watching instructions on making wine in the instant pot with the yogurt setting, why not sauerkraut and other vegetables. I searched and cannot find anyone who has done this, so I guess it is up to me. Going to start with cabbage and salt and go for 48 hours on the yogurt setting.

:o :jaw-drop: :crazy: :stop: :-X :-\ :popcorn:

that about describes my reaction to your suggestion.  I will be curious as to your results.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 09:32:37 AM »
This is interesting and I'd love to hear your results. We got an instapot a couple months ago and I'd love to be able to make sauerkraut. I'm going to have to look up the wine making as well because that could be a fun experiment to try out.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 04:10:26 PM »
I guess I was thinking that sauerkraut-making did better during the colder times of the year, as too much heat can cause problems? So, I'll be waiting to see how it works out for you...

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 05:31:38 PM »
I guess I was thinking that sauerkraut-making did better during the colder times of the year, as too much heat can cause problems? So, I'll be waiting to see how it works out for you...
I have read that it needs to be at a higher temperature than what we keep our room temperature. My thinking is that the yogurt setting is not too high to destroy beneficial bacteria. I have had too many batches just sit and do nothing.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 05:35:53 PM »
I have read that it needs to be at a higher temperature than what we keep our room temperature. My thinking is that the yogurt setting is not too high to destroy beneficial bacteria. I have had too many batches just sit and do nothing.

I have never had sauerkraut ferment properly.  So if this works, I will give it a go.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 05:37:49 PM »
Interesting... I've never had a sauerkraut failure, but I always did it during the early months of the year when the cabbage went on sale at the grocery store... We tend to keep the house cooler in winter time...

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 06:49:16 PM »
My recipe is 1 tbsp per lb. Our house temperature is about 64F at the most.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 05:33:28 AM »
Let us know how it works with the instant pot... I'm wondering if that slightly higher temp will make a difference.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 06:33:25 AM »
After a little searching I've come to the conclusion 110/115 degrees may be a little warm for either sauerkraut or kimchi. Want I've read suggests both do well at a cooler room temperature and a slightly longer fermentation, several days. That said I've never made sauerkraut and kimchi only a few times. I can buy a locally made kimchi and when I do I always take a small tub with me. I'll take the half gallon or gallon of kimchi from the display cooler where it is still fermenting and after purchase take it home in the tub since the liquid will be coming out under the jar lid because of the continuing fermentation.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 06:59:31 AM »
After a little searching I've come to the conclusion 110/115 degrees may be a little warm for either sauerkraut or kimchi.

Good research Redman! After doing some experimenting with a pint-size sauerkraut batch I've come to the conclusion that there is no shortcut. Salt to cabbage ratio, temperature and time are the critical factors. I've also noticed that locally grown cabbage works a lot better, perhaps because of being a different variety.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 09:19:38 AM »
I guess that was what I was expecting... I think that cooler temp is a factor. I've heard of folks having problems in the heat of the summer.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 11:39:08 AM »
My first clue that it wasn't going to work was before I posted this; I couldn't find anyone doing it. Knowing that I've never had an original thought, someone else has probably tried it and failed but never said so. It is what happens when you get an Instant Pot, you think it will do everything because it can do so much.

Offline Mona

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 01:54:26 PM »
I recently started a new batch at room temp, but the one from last spring still looks edible despite having been out at seriously hot summer temps,perhaĆ¼s because it was already fermented. It has become more sour than I enjoy and is more of a science experiment.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 04:44:00 PM »
More sour with age, yes that is what Kimchi does also. Ripening basically. Koreans will make Kimchi jjigae a stew like mixture with it when it becomes too sour for "fresh" eating. It's gooooood.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 07:41:56 PM »
I crave sour and bitter flavors and avoid sweetness. The smell of sugar in the icing on a cake makes me nauseous. Koreans around here serve a carrot dish which is a salt cured dish; it can be done overnight. They shred the carrots and pack it in salt, rinse and refrigerate and it is crisp and flavorful.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 08:49:20 PM »
I crave sour and bitter flavors and avoid sweetness. The smell of sugar in the icing on a cake makes me nauseous. Koreans around here serve a carrot dish which is a salt cured dish; it can be done overnight. They shred the carrots and pack it in salt, rinse and refrigerate and it is crisp and flavorful.

that sounds tasty

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2020, 06:14:30 AM »

You're bad Carver. Now I'm hungry for kimchi, Korean BBQ, and something like this quick pickled carrot and daikon.

https://mykoreankitchen.com/pickled-carrots-and-daikon-radish/

I worked at a Korean owned business after retiring. They had several refrigerators around the shop each with 5 gallons or more of Kimchi in it and little tubs of "side" dishes and bigger tubs of gochujang and bean paste. Only 5 other Americans and they wouldn't touch the Korean food. The Koreans were amazed that I used chopsticks, with good skill they said, and ate their food.

Sorry, kind of went off topic.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2020, 07:50:43 AM »
You're bad Carver. Now I'm hungry for kimchi, Korean BBQ, and something like this quick pickled carrot and daikon.

https://mykoreankitchen.com/pickled-carrots-and-daikon-radish/

I worked at a Korean owned business after retiring. They had several refrigerators around the shop each with 5 gallons or more of Kimchi in it and little tubs of "side" dishes and bigger tubs of gochujang and bean paste. Only 5 other Americans and they wouldn't touch the Korean food. The Koreans were amazed that I used chopsticks, with good skill they said, and ate their food.

Sorry, kind of went off topic.
If the goal was to make my mouth water, you succeeded.
I have a jar of pickled daikon now with some hot pepper in it and it is very good. I do not know why daikon is not more popular in this country.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2020, 07:54:13 AM »
If the goal was to make my mouth water, you succeeded.
I have a jar of pickled daikon now with some hot pepper in it and it is very good. I do not know why daikon is not more popular in this country.

:egyptian:

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2020, 08:03:26 AM »
I have the Korean kitchen bookmarked. Looks good.