Author Topic: Outer Banks evacuated  (Read 2223 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
Outer Banks evacuated
« on: July 31, 2017, 10:37:15 AM »

I don't see how this could happen. If someone isn't fired or a good explanation given, I would have to wonder. How could they not know where to dig ?

I used to do surfing vacations down there in the spring or fall, but I have not been in nearly 10 years

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/28/us/nc-outer-banks-power-outages/index.html

They were among thousands of tourists on Ocracoke and Hatteras islands who have been ordered to pack up and evacuate after a major power outage early Thursday. A transmission line was cut during construction work on a bridge, knocking out electricity to the two tourist meccas.
"We were all upset," said Bruhl, 22, of Shepherdstown, West Virginia, who left Ocracoke by ferry. "We got out of there early; it was so hot in the house."

It's unclear how long it will take for the outage to be repaired. The situation has inconvenienced travelers and a region dependent on tourist dollars at the peak of vacation season.

===================

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/07/29/north-carolina-power-restoration-ocracoke-hatteras-islands/522591001/

Crews dug all night hoping to reach the electric line, but kept encountering issues as they reached the water table, Aldridge said. Silt and water kept filling the hole, so evaluating the damage has been delayed, Hyde County spokesman Donnie Shumate said.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
Re: Outer Banks evacuated
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 11:31:50 AM »

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 12:21:37 PM »
Officials now are saying the cables were clearly marked but cut anyways. Talk about ruining everyones summer vacation.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 03:57:44 PM »
On the brighter (er, darker) side, i bet the night sky there is spectacular without all the light pollution.  I am sure some of the surfers will manage to evade the evacuation.  It will probably be the time of their lives for some of them.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 05:12:47 PM »
 The outer banks is the biggest beach on the east coast and is a giant barrier island that stretches for nearly 100 miles. No one can own property there without the federal govt bailing them out for Hurricane damage. I thought of buying property there some day but I have doubts that it really makes much sense or is a safe thing to do, although some areas are much further back from the beach. When I was down there years ago, half of hatteras village was destroyed with wrecked cars on the side of the road, a wrecked gas station and destroyed hotels from 30 foot waves that washed in many months before. It was never cleaned up. I have seen condemned houses where the beach has eroded but they keep building more huge houses 50 feet from the edge of the dunes.

It was on the TV that tourism is the only source of income for most people that live there so they are losing alot of income for this year and it looked like the governor would like to bail them out.

I was going to call the surf shop down there and order some more T shirts but I may have to wait.

It always bothered me that the national seashore campsites close kind of early even though it stays kind of warm down there almost right into the winter. I have had to stay at private camp grounds in the off season which are not as nice ..
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:25:40 PM by surfivor »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 05:21:34 PM »
shit happens. hopefully was killed for this mistake.