The TSP Marketplace > Western Botanicals - Sponsored Board

What 5 Herbs?

(1/3) > >>

herbdoc:
Just a question that we were bantering around here at work (Western Botanicals). 

If you were limited to just 5 herbs, what would they be?  This question quickly disintegrated, because much of the food we eat are herbs.  Is garlic a food or a medicine.  The answer is both.  And if you tend to grow your own herbs in your backyard, when the world unravels you will still have those. 

So the question is:  What 5 herbs should you stock that can't grow on your own? 

And then, what herbs should you be planting and begin growing?

Docwatmo:
+1 for the question.  I was thinking this myself.  I got the chives started already in the house (Just couldn't wait any longer :) ).  But was wondering what others are handy.  It was suggested to me by kydoomer to plant some Dill,  My family LIVES off garlic but I know nothing about growing it.

Greywolf27:
a quick list, that doesn't have a lot of thought put into it... (didn't want to cloud my post with too much thought)

1 garlic
2 borage
3 thyme
4 cilantro/corriander
5 mustard

I figure this should get me through just about everything I do.  The borage is a friend of tomatoes and has medicinal purposes.

joeinwv:
Basil, oregano, rosemary, mint and thyme are the 5 you have to have... all easily grown.

I can grow whatever herbs I need - it's the spices that are tougher. I'm not growing tumeric, corriander, peppercorns, anise or nutmeg.

From a flavor standpoint, red onion easily replaces garlic or shallots.

I also grow sage, lemon verbena, horehound, 3 kinds of mint, marjoram, 2 kinds of parsley, dill and cilantro.

KYdoomer:
Wow, you guys are making me want to dedicate even MORE of my garden to herbs.

Like Doc said, I love the dill, especially if you are growing cucumbers, there's nothing like it.

I like basil, oregano and I echo was Doc says about garlic.  Vampires would hate our house.  I can't put enough in homemade spaghetti sauce.  Trying rosemary and corriander (for biltong) for the first time this year.  Want to try mint but can't decide between pepper or spear.  Which is best?

Medicinally, I'm trying echinacea for the first time this year.  We'll see how that goes.  I've got a lavender patch in the backyard I can't get rid of.  I guess that's a good thing.

I think its great that many of the herbs that taste really good are also good for you.  Unlike many of the wild medicinals which seem to be better for certain things but I am told are bitter as hell.

J

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version