The TSP Marketplace > Western Botanicals - Sponsored Board

Type Two Diabetics

(1/3) > >>

ModernSurvival:
I get a ton of questions from insulin dependent diabetics and I accept that my answer to Type 1 must be honest and quite grim if TSHTF but what about Type Two what are some things type two can do if they are on insulin and are cut off of the supply.

Hopefully they will do most of them NOW rather then only when forced but this is good info to know, I am sure loosing weight is on the list but what else?

liftsboxes:
Two food items that help to regulate blood sugar are cinnamon and peanut butter.  I don't have diabetes, but I have found that when I am going to have a busy day and uncertain food schedule, eating a peanut butter sandwich with a healthy sprinkling of cinnamon on whole wheat bread will keep me going for a long long time.  Wash it down with a glass of milk and you're off and running.

mamabear:
I had not heard about the peanut butter, but did know that cinnamon helps regulate insulin and blood sugar. You have use more than just a sprinkle (although I am assuming "a healthy sprinkling will do!), but I love cinnamon so it is no trouble for me to use a lot. Oatmeal is another grain that does not have the effect on blood sugar like refined or even whole wheat has.

herbdoc:
Please excuse the length of my response.  I have written an article that I have used for my patients.  Hopefully this will make sense to you.  Type 2 can definitely be turned around but it does take some effort.

Herbdoc

Blood Sugar Balance & Diabetes
I am in constant awe at the design of our human bodies with its complex interplay between systems checking and monitoring feedback.  Readjusting when necessary seamlessly and without our perception.  And so it is with blood sugar regulation.  There may be as many as 10 hormonal or biochemical reactions that occur during the early states of hypoglycemia.  Normal blood sugar should range between 80 and 110.  Under 80 is considered hypoglycemia and over 110 is hyperglycemia. 

With the first sign of hypoglycemia you feel shaky, jittery, anxious, sweaty, confused and irritable.  The lower the blood sugar, the more severe these symptoms.  As soon as your blood sugar drops below 80 the body produces a number of    hormones, principally adrenaline and  glucagon.  The adrenaline causes the shaky, jittery feeling, while glucagon helps to raise the blood sugar levels by converting fat into sugar within the liver. 

These internal mechanisms and many more are all built-in survival mechanisms.  Remember the body was designed to survive and will not avoid pain or discomfort to insure survival.  The body’s survival mechanisms are so sophisticated that it will even prioritize and sacrifice ‘non-essential’ parts of the body in order to maintain life.  My point is that hunger and starvation are very real and critical survival issues and our body has many ways of getting our attention so that we do something about it.  Each of us can get pretty motivated to remedy the problem of low blood sugar.  That’s what being hungry and eating are all about.

On the other hand, high blood sugar or hyperglycemia is an entirely different issue that our bodies do not have as much historical experience with.  The real survival issue mankind has experienced is getting enough nourishment.  Having too much is a relatively new problem and is the hallmark of a civilized society.  Diabetes (Type II) is one of the leading causes of death and disability in the western world.  Complications of diabetes include heart disease and circulation problems, kidney disease, degeneration of the retina leading to blindness, neuropathy resulting in numbness, tingling, pain and burning in the hands and feet, foot ulcers leading to gangrene and a high risk of infection.

ModernSurvival:
Kyle I think your article got cut short, please post it all or a link to it online, it looks really informative.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version