Author Topic: Another newbie question on equipment  (Read 4225 times)

Offline tittiger

• BANNED
  • Prepper
    • Things your preacher will never tell you.
Another newbie question on equipment
« on: March 29, 2011, 11:27:22 PM »
Hi!

I hope this is not being asked for the 500th time but I did not see a FAQ here - so here goes......

What   radio technologies are available for those that want to communicate  10-15 miles from homestead to homestead
without any type of repeater?  The terrain is small rolling hills of SW Missouri  I would say no more than 500' in elevation from
base to hill top.

Is there anything out there that is reasonable priced?

TIA
Joe

Offline rob_ma

• Survivor
    • murs-radio.com - Two way radio and security equipment
Re: Another newbie question on equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 11:27:02 AM »
Hi!

I hope this is not being asked for the 500th time but I did not see a FAQ here - so here goes......

What   radio technologies are available for those that want to communicate  10-15 miles from homestead to homestead
without any type of repeater?  The terrain is small rolling hills of SW Missouri  I would say no more than 500' in elevation from
base to hill top.

Is there anything out there that is reasonable priced?

TIA
Joe

There are two ways to obtain that range:

1) Elevation - get your antenna up high enough so that your signal overcomes local obstructions.

2) Use lower frequencies - Lower frequencies tend to bend better over terrain. CB could possibly work if the noise level was low. Ham radio (6 or 10 meters) is another alternative. There is also a commercial band between the two ham bands as well (license is required).

- Rob