Author Topic: MURS Alert Tranmitter Question  (Read 13123 times)

Offline Chief_919

• Survivor
MURS Alert Tranmitter Question
« on: November 20, 2010, 08:08:28 AM »
I have a few questions on your MURS alert transmitter-

How long to the AA batteries work?

Is there a provision for external power?

If so, what voltage does it require?

I am interested, but want to wire it up for solar or AC power with a battery backup, having to keep swapping AA batteries out is a no-go for my use.

Offline Chief_919

• Survivor
Re: MURS Alert Tranmitter Question
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 08:33:45 AM »
Anybody know?

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 10:09:01 AM »

Offline Chief_919

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 06:30:04 PM »
Transmitter batteries should last about a year.

http://www.dakotaalert.com/catb2b1/product_info.php?cPath=36_37&products_id=93

Thanks!

That sounds a lot better than the battery life I was expecting.

Offline chromesoldier

• Survivor
  • When in doubt do it again.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 09:34:08 PM »
Found this topic by just browsing but to awnser your question the six AA batteries will last about six months on moderate usage, ie. like a driveway alarm. after that the start to die out and it will trigger false alarms and the speech gets slow and starts to slur. The ones that i have on heavy traffic lasted about a month like on trigger every hour. As right now an AC adapter dosent exsist that I know of but have made one using a standard radio charger pack that is suitable for the input voltage for the transmitter and hard wired too it I also have made one with rechargable batteries and a small solar plate to recharge no problems yet.

Offline rob_ma

• Survivor
    • murs-radio.com - Two way radio and security equipment
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 05:53:38 AM »
Typical battery life at my home is about 8 months. Battery life is based on traffic and low freezing temperatures (if applicable).

The manufacturer has told me that the device will run on voltages up to ~12 VDC. If you have a small sealed lead acid battery and a small solar charger you'd be all set.

- Rob

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 07:34:12 PM »
Rob,
I recently purchased two MURS hand helds and a receiver from you. I have a Dakota Alert driveway monitor with the sensor probe which I purchased via a large sporting good box store a few years ago.

Will the non MURS driveway transmitter be receivable on the MURS receiver and handhelds or would I have to replace it with the MURS type for it to work?

Offline rob_ma

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 06:10:12 AM »
Rob,
I recently purchased two MURS hand helds and a receiver from you. I have a Dakota Alert driveway monitor with the sensor probe which I purchased via a large sporting good box store a few years ago.

Will the non MURS driveway transmitter be receivable on the MURS receiver and handhelds or would I have to replace it with the MURS type for it to work?

Hi Bonnie,

You would have to use a MURS transmitter to be able to receive it on a MURS receiver. Dakota Alert sells two types of these devices and they are not compatible with each other. The non-MURS equipment does not have the two-way communications ability that that MURS equipment has.

MURS = Multi Use Radio Service and it describes a set of license free frequencies in the 150 MHz range set aside for personal and business use. The non-MURS equipment uses a higher set of frequencies that have less range and two way communications is not allowed on them.

Hope that helps,

- Rob

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 11:05:59 AM »
Thanks Rob, your answer confirms my suspicion. My driveway is only 2/10ths of a mile and relatively flat but due to the house construction I've not had dependable reception from the non-MURS transmitter inside the house. I don't know if upgrading to the MURS drive transmitter will help or if because my house is nearly it's own "Faraday cage" that I just will not be able to receive any transmitions from outside to the indoor receiver.

Mylar faced insulation and new windows with metalic tint to keep out solar heat/damage as well as the addition of a metal roof seem to have created the problem of receiveing transmissions from outside to inside. What do you think Rob? Would upgrading to the MURS driveway transmitter improve indoor receiver reception?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:44:42 AM by Bonnieblue2A »

Offline rob_ma

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 11:47:26 AM »
I don't know if upgrading to the MURS drive transmitter will help or if because my house is nearly it's own "Faraday cage" that I just will not be able to receive any transmitions from outside to the indoor receiver.

Locating the receiver near a window will help quite a bit if your home's construction is blocking the signal. Another alternative is that the base receivers have the option  of adding an external antenna to them. This will allow your receiver to catch signals from outside of the home and increase your range.

Centerfire Antenna has antennas and antenna coax cable available. The owner, Ben, is very customer friendly and would be glad to help if you go that route.

- Rob

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 12:03:25 PM »
Again thanks, good info. Rob.