Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Pistols and Handguns

Maybe I Was Wrong About the .40

(1/3) > >>

David in MN:
I've long held the belief that the .40 S&W was a solution in search of a problem. If you wand capacity get a 9mm and if you want a big bullet get a .45 ACP. And if I'm being brutally honest if I only had one shot  to defend myself with a handgun it would be a 125 grain .357magnum hollow point.

But there's another data point to consider... Pressure. The .40 S&W is a higher pressure round than the 9mm. The .45 ACP is a very low pressure low speed round. So the .40 has the highest pressure of the lot. Why do we care? Well, the pistol functions on recoil. SO the theory is that the .40 will cycle and function better even if you have a poor grip or are injured or whatever else. The .40 bullet might not have a ballistic advantage but the round itself makes the pistol run better. It will cycle where a 9mm or .45 might not.

This is at least the story as it was related to me. It might even be true. I'm curious to hear what others think.

donaldj:
Recoil spring strength varies in firearms designed to shoot a certain caliber. The 9mm will typically have a spring with a bit less strength than a 40.

Guns are engineered with this in mind. Buying a 40 over a 9mm is not increasing reliability (assuming all else is equal).

The 40 is in decline due to improvements in bullet design. As 9mm continues to approach the 40's effectiveness, the disadvantages the 40 has over it (sharper recoil, typically lower capacity, expense) will continue to obsolete the cartridge.

D

armymars:
I don't know if it will ever become totally obsolete. I like my 40 XL. I like the bigger bullet and the way it shoots cast bullets. Remember the new bullet designs work in 40 S&W to. Check out Lucky Gunner.

Chemsoldier:

--- Quote from: armymars on August 16, 2018, 10:56:04 AM ---I don't know if it will ever become totally obsolete. I like my 40 XL. I like the bigger bullet and the way it shoots cast bullets. Remember the new bullet designs work in 40 S&W to. Check out Lucky Gunner.

--- End quote ---

Oh, it can totally become obsolete.  However, as you indicate...it may never die out completely.  I still have  a soft spot for 10mm, the .38 S&W is still out there, some crazy buggers are out there shooting the older .32 cartridges.

bartsdad:
I guess it is time to put 10,000 rounds more of 40 S&W away. I have 2 guns that run this. While I do like commonality among consumables, if I put enough ammo away while it is still relatively cheap, I'll be fine for my lifetime.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version