Author Topic: Tricking out the G40  (Read 3820 times)

Offline TooMuchGlass

• Survivor
  • Learner
Tricking out the G40
« on: April 27, 2017, 06:37:45 PM »
Well, I did it. I bought the monster.

It should be to the FFL in a few days. The question now is: "what mods?"

As I am gonna use it primarily as a bump in the night pistol/range toy, the sky is the limit. I might try to grab a whitetail with it, too.

So I'm thinking:
1) heavy magwell
2) ghost connector + parts polish
3) fiber optic front sight. Maybe night sites on the rear?

Then again, I could slap an RMR and light on with compensator. Rowland Magnum, anyone?

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
Re: Tricking out the G40
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 08:36:14 PM »
LWD threaded barrel for thread-on hearing protection?  ;-)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 10:52:12 PM »
Maybe go KKM threaded barrel as an initial step before going full Roland.  If you are going to pot bambi, the match barrel wouldn't be a bad mod.

If it's a night stand gun, a light is a must. Watch LA Police gear. In 1-6 months there will be a clearance for some sort of WML. The TLR-1s from Streamlight can be fairly cheap.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 09:46:58 AM »
Don't forget the bayonet. I use a 9 MM long slide 19 and night sights are about all you need unless you plan to use as a house gun and I would add a TLR2 or such light so you don't shoot a family member.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/319879/laserlyte-pistol-bayonet-ka-bar-mini-survival-knife-serrated-stainless-steel-blade-with-quick-detachable-picatinny-style-mount-and-polymer-sheath-black

The 'blade' is only my form of a joke.

Offline TooMuchGlass

• Survivor
  • Learner
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
Alright, so I guess no one thought my "Roland Magnum" joke was funny.

It's obviously out of alignment with the Roland Special concept. I just think it would be funny to see the massive Glock with a comp, light and RMR.

Agreed, a light and perhaps a match barrel are good ideas. I don't know about springing for the barrel, but I probably will at some point. If so, it will be threaded just for options' sake.

I like the idea of a better trigger and better sights for sure. If I didn't want to go with an electronic sight, what do you guys think you would put on one?

Offline Davew223

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 05:19:05 PM »
These sights are not listed for the G40 but I bet they will fit.  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/692967/warren-tactical-sight-set-glock-17-19-22-23-24-34-35-sevigny-competition-rear-fiber-optic-front-steel-matte  I have used them for comp shooting for years and love them.  If you look up their namesake things get clear quickly.  For the trigger, 25 cent trigger job on you tube makes a big difference.  Any other trigger work and you could be hurting yourself if you had to use it for a bump in the night.  For the barrel, are you going to shoot lead?  If not the stock Glock barrels are actually very accurate. 

If I were to trick out this pistol, the first thing I would buy after the sights would be either:  http://www.dillonprecision.com/xl650_8_1_23803.html  or whatever Carl recommends for progressive reloading.  For high quantity loading, he is the man.

Offline CR Williams

• Survivalist Mentor
    • In Shadow In Light
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 09:01:00 AM »
Alright, so I guess no one thought my "Roland Magnum" joke was funny.

Why would it be funny? Looks like a serious concept to me. Then again, I consider red dots and compensators to be viable options for carry and defensive guns.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 12:58:27 PM »
  Don't let too many curb feelers interfere with the 'out of the box' capability of the G40 ...night sites and plenty of practice ammo till you can shoot it by instinct rather than depend in sighting equipment. Later maybe a spare parts kit and a 357 Sig barrel and recoil spring kit .

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 06:48:48 PM »
  Don't let too many curb feelers interfere with the 'out of the box' capability of the G40 ...night sites and plenty of practice ammo till you can shoot it by instinct rather than depend in sighting equipment. Later maybe a spare parts kit and a 357 Sig barrel and recoil spring kit .

Agree.  You should shoot it a lot before adding geegaws.  My main home pistol is a G23 with Ameriglo night sights and a Streamlight TLR1 light.  I like the Ameriglo or Trijicon night sights that have a orange front blade along with the tritium front and rear. I shoot this almost every range session.  A smoother trigger would be nice but for me not as important as more and more range time with it (ammo).

Being over 60 I am thinking more about an RMR as the front blade is getting more fuzzy every year.  Under 50 I don't know that an RMR would be worth it.  But over 60 it may become imperative.  I can still hit well at 25 yds but I am slower on target.  The magwell seems only useful if your are in timed competitions.  Have you shot it a lot with mag changes and actually found any difficulty?