Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Fishing

Fishing Gear for the Long Haul/After SHTF

<< < (2/7) > >>

DeltaEchoVictor:
I like fiberglass rods & spinning reels myself.  They're durable & will hold up for a long time if taken care of.  Get a two piece rod so it's relatively packable.  Rods can be improvised from lots of things & the other folks that have posted are right on the money, jug lines, limb lines, throw lines & just about any other manner of getting a line in the water can be utilized.  Buy yourself a couple of spools of nylon string & you'll have a good amount of line for making some of those things...& various sized hooks of course.

You'll want a way to keep yourself supplied in bait.  Check out This Page for some ideas on minnow traps.  I have one & it's a handy piece of kit.  You can use it to catch minnows, crawfish, small panfish & whatever else wanders in there.  I usually bait mine with something stinky & oily like cat food or stink bait.

A cast net &/or a seine net would be good to have also.  I'd probably have a few 3 or 4 pronged fish/frog gigs.  You can buy the heads & improvise poles when needed.  The heads are small enough to store in a tackle box.

Do a google search for trot lines, hand lines, limb lines, jug lines....those are all ways of passively fishing while you're off doing something else. 

My wife is the fisherman in the family BTW.  We spend the summers chasing fish because that's what she likes to do. ;)

DwightS:
I guess I am not the one to give advise about a few things to grab to go fishing......

I have personally witnessed and older fellow on the bank of a Large Creek that flows into a large lake, catch
larger and more fish than all of us with GPS-Depth Fish-Finders with Lowrance Topo Graphs.......VHS RADIOS.

I personally use a 08 F250 Crew Cab Diesel to drag all my junk to the Lake to Hunt the big ones....
We catch a LOT OF FISH.

It's not all the junK though....it's being at the right place where fish are feeding and making a good presentation
of something that is in their food group and the fish will bite.

Low and High pressure systems really affect the bite.

And example
We leave at 2am and drive 50 miles to drop Hyroglo lights in the water to attract Shad....and harvest them with cast nets put them in 30 gal tanks with shad keeper and o2 infusers and regulate the temp in the tank and keep the foam off at 460gph filtered flow water systems.....adding rock salt as needed.

We fish with @14 down rods @ 20 ft depth this creates the illusion of a school of shad swimming in on hunting fish of prey.
4am till 9am is peak morning bite time....cloudy overcast days extends the bite.
Most evening feeding occurs 1 hr to 2 hours before after sundown.....

Catfish bite best at night. the record Blue Catfish from the lake I fish is 96lbs.....that's a lot of fillets.

Learning to fish is and excellent way to supplement your diet with healthy food.
Get on youtube and watch about 20 videos and along with the great fun you will see that it is a vital part of preparedness.

Now to be honest
It gets pretty complicated...if you use a lot of equipment planer boards downriggers etc......some times a can of worms dug up with a  Cane pole and a hook sitting on a bank fishing is sure a lot easier and a lot less expensive.

I've got LOTS OF PICTURES IF I KNEW HOW TO POST THEM....

I COULD FEED A FAMILY OF 4 EASILY FISHING.....IF THINGS GET BAD FISH ARE  GREAT TO BARTER BECAUSE EVERYBODY DOESN'T KNOW HOW, AND IT ADDS VIRETY....BAKED BROILED....GRILLED....FRIED.

They sundry and smoke well to extend their shelf life.

I USED TO HUNT DEER-RABBITS-BIRDS-SQUIRELS ETC....THAT WAS OK BUT,

FISHING IS MY THING.

I USE PENN SENATORS REEL'S- PFLUGER REELS- PENN INTENATIONAL REELS (EXPENSIVE) DIAWIA OPEN FACE...PENN RODS,
UGLY STICK 7FT IS A GOOD LIGHT ACTION ROD.

SPINNER REELS ARE PROBABLY BEST FOR BEGINNERS.....COMBO'S UNDER 50 BUCKS ARE NORMALLY GOOD FOR A YEAR OR 2.
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR JUST LIKE IN RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS....THE GOOD ONES LAST A LONG TIME, THE CHEAP ONES HAVE PLASTIC GEARS AND THE DON'T....LOOK FOR 6 BALL BEARING REELS.....

LEARN TO THROW A CAST NET....YOUTUBE HAS GREAT VIDEOS.....WHILE TRYING TO CATCH BAIT WE CATCH 5-6 LB BASS AND LARGE CRAPPIE.....WITH THE CAST NET.

WARNING: KNOW WHERE YOU ARE THROWING YOUr NET BECAUSE WHEN IT GETS HUNG ON UNDERWATER DEBRI YOU EITHER HAVE TO GO IN AFTER IT OR ABANDON IT. I keep 4 on the boat and replace them when they are lost or torn.

CRAPPIE LOVE SM MINNOWS THEY ARE GREAT FISH. GET A FLOATING LIGHT AND WATCHEM COME TO THE DOCK YOU FISH OFF OF.

When you attract small fish with lights wait a while and the big ones show up to feed on the small ones.

LOOK UP HYDROGLO LIGHTS ON THE WEB AND WATCH YOUTUBE VIDEOS AMAZING!

NIGHTCRAWLER WORMS AND A CORK WILL CATCH TONS OF BREAM AND CRAPPIE.

HEY JESUS ATE FISH COOKED FISH MULTIPLIED FISH FED 5 THOUSAND WITH 3 FISH AND 5 LOAVES, AND TOLD HIS DISCIPLES "FOLLOW ME, AND I WILL MAKE YOU FISHERS OF MEN".

MOST OF THE WRITERS OF THE NEW TESTATMENT WERE FISHERMEN....LEARN TO FISH YOU WILL BE IN GOOD COMPANY!

AND KIDS LOVE TO FISH.....

longhaul:
thanks for the advice all...

Stein:
It depends on where you are at.  Here in salmon country, a fish wheel would be worth 10,000 pounds of fishing gear.

The biggest problem I see is that mono has a relatively short life.  Braided lines would likely store much, much longer.

jackiebeans:
I am not a big fisherman, however, in a SHTF situation, I realize that it may be a primary source of protein at least for a short period of time (in my geography).  I went out and purchased a collapsible rod that collapse's inside itself until it is about 12 inches in length.  It came with a small tackle kit, as well as an inexpensive reel.  However, I may swap out the reel for something else once I test it and understand it's durability factor better.  You can find them at Amazon.com or I picked mine up at Sport's Authority, like a Dick's Sporting Goods, etc...

It packs nicely into a pocket on my large Alice type BoB, and do not have to worry about it.

Here is a link so you can see what I am talking about:  http://tinyurl.com/n6o6j3

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version