Farm, Garden and The Land > Live Stock, Critters and Aquaculture

Raising quail for meat and eggs

<< < (5/15) > >>

Moonvalleyprepper:

--- Quote from: DieselMcStacked on April 24, 2013, 01:35:08 PM ---Great info! Are there pans or trays in the pens that catch the manure or does it all drop to the bottom?

--- End quote ---

Yup, I made some wooden boxes out of 1"x4" and plywood sealed with Thompsons water sealer. They work OK, but I am going to be switching to metal poop trays next.

Thanks for all the compliments!

Ms. Albatross:
Moonvalleyprepper

I hope you are writing a book!  This knowledge needs to be shared with the rest of the world.... :D

Moonvalleyprepper:

--- Quote from: Ms. Albatross on April 26, 2013, 08:07:54 PM ---Moonvalleyprepper

I hope you are writing a book!  This knowledge needs to be shared with the rest of the world.... :D

--- End quote ---

Maybe a coloring book  ;)

I just invested in some A/V equipment and am planning on documenting this and some of my other projects, so I'll get it out there but maybe not in book form.

Thanks for all the positive feedback, keep the questions and comments coming!

Silverfox:
Thanks for all the Info everyone !!

desertpir8:
I wanted to post up a big "Thank You" to MoonValleyPrepper (Brad) and Jack for the the quail raising episode (ep 1071) and post up our success story.     

Thanks to you guys, I just cleaned and put up my first 12 quail yesterday evening that I hatched and raised myself from eggs. Its been an adventure, but being able to see (and eat) the fruits of my labor and learning this new skill has been an experience, has been amazingly rewarding and a real blessing with the amount of eggs (and now meat) we've been able to produce.

After listening to the show, I realized that this could really work well for our household.   We have a reasonably large lot in town, but the compact footprint and high production rate really sold us on the idea.   After getting the OK from the better half, we found a 30 pen coop on Craigslist for a reasonable price and got it set up in one of our sheds here at home.    I put in a self-filling low pressure fresh water supply, thermostatically controlled swamp cooling, and timer controlled lighting to extend the laying hours.    Following your advice from the show, our first hatch of 69 eggs (lost one egg in shipment) gave us an 89% hatch rate and 97% survival rate after hatch.   We built 4 DIY brooders from stuff we found at Walmart that worked great for the first hatch and we will be using in the future to allow scalability in production.    Our 25 hens are laying about 20 eggs a day now.   We've collected eggs now from our first breeding and will see how those hatch out in a few weeks! 

Our goal with our quail was to have enough production on hand to supplement our dog's raw diet with the eggs while at the same time providing plenty of eggs and meat for us, and fertilizer/compost for the garden.   We have a couple of huge English Mastiff dogs that require over 10lb of raw meat a day, which can be an extraordinarily expensive diet.    The quail are helping to supplement their food requirements and are reducing the overall cost of their feeding while providing us with eggs and meat as well.   I'd never had quail eggs before and found that they are so much tastier than chicken eggs!!   We love them!  The dogs can't get enough of them either.   Win-win for everyone.

Thanks Jack & Brad for the great show!

John
Mesa, AZ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version