The TSP Marketplace > The Berkey Guy - Berkey Light Water Filters

Which Berkey Should I buy

<< < (2/3) > >>

nelson96:

--- Quote from: Adam B. on March 28, 2012, 02:27:58 PM ---The ONLY complaint I have is that the PF2 filters thread onto the threads of the black filter elements and you have to be VERY careful because they do not sit tight, and turning them too many times you can rupture the PF2 filters, or screw up the black element filter threads.
--- End quote ---

I finally found where to view the description on the elements, so I anwered my question on the PF2, but now I am confused about where/how to use them. . . .  Adam, you had mentioned that they screw on to the black filters.

My confusion is that it appears the Big Berkey has ports to use 4 filters and given that you can buy a package that includes two black and two PF2 filters (using the 4 available ports), how is that going to purify correctly?  If you screw the PF2's on to the black filters, what about the 2 empty ports?  :o

Adam Campbell:
The empty ports are sealed with rubber plugs.

AnonPrepper:
I think everyone covered all the pros and cons, I ended up getting the "big" due to family size and the price point. It's definitely a great thing to have around the water is great that comes out of it and it took a couple uses to get the charcoal taste out of it so id suggest if its for a shtf scenario plan on using it for awhile before you store it. We use ours 50% of the time, we have well water that's very clean so we don't "need" it on a day to day basis but when we ordered it we did get it with the 4 filters but only used 2 of them and kept the other 2 as backup in case something breaks on the filters that we have in the unit.

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: nelson96 on March 28, 2012, 02:52:37 PM ---. . .  I think I'm leaning toward the "Big" but even that one has a lot of options to figure out.

http://www.directive21.com/big-berkey-water-filters.html

How do you know if you need the Flouride PF2 filters, what do they do?

Is it worth getting it with the "water level view spigot"?

--- End quote ---

I have a two element "Big," and it's just right for my household of 3.  I also like the fact that in a pinch it can be expanded to four elements – like if a bunch of friends descend on my place on hurricane day+2 and I'm needing to filter 7 gal/hr to keep everybody hydrated in the un-air-conditioned late August heat.  (damn, that'd be a lot of water, but it's good to have the capability)  (that reminds me, got to order a couple more cartridges)

About the fluoride filters, well, they take out fluoride.  Lots of cities add it to drinking water, supposedly to promote strong teeth.  Just do a web search on fluoride and your town's name, should pop right up.  Here's a very mild starter article on fluoride toxicity: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoride_toxicity

(While we're on the topic of fluoride, can anybody recommend a web article giving the real low-down on the stuff?  OK, back to the questions.)

Back to the last question, "Is it worth getting it with the "water level view spigot"?"  Yeah, I think so.  I try to let my filter go nearly empty before refilling so that the entire filter gets wetted each time, and pulling the top half off all the time to see how how much water was left got old fast.  It's not an essential accessory, but it is really nice to have.

nelson96:
Thanks again to all.

--- Quote from: Alan Georges on March 28, 2012, 06:15:10 PM ---Back to the last question, "Is it worth getting it with the "water level view spigot"?"  Yeah, I think so.  I try to let my filter go nearly empty before refilling so that the entire filter gets wetted each time, and pulling the top half off all the time to see how how much water was left got old fast.  It's not an essential accessory, but it is really nice to have.
--- End quote ---

I thought the same thing too, as soon as I realized that you had to take the top half off to see the reservoir.  But thanks for the reinforcement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version