Author Topic: Anyone have experience with bonded titles? Bought a jeep with no title.  (Read 2914 times)

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
I doubt it's the same for every state, but any experience is welcome. I'm in Texas.

So I bought a 1995 jeep cherokee today for $20. There is no title at present. It was abandoned by the owner over a year ago, who was the tenant of a rental house. I'm working on finding out if the property owner(who I do know, FWIW) has any contact information for that person. I doubt she has anything current, unfortunately. I may also try tracking down the previous owner myself, but I don't think that's very promising.

I don't know what condition the engine/transmission are in. I presume the jeep wasn't running and that's why it was left there. I'll find out more once I start fooling with it. The paint is in good shape, and all the body panels are straight. This is the main reason I'm interested in getting a title if it isn't cost prohibitive. I hate to just strip it for parts if it's feasible to fix it and get a title at a reasonable price.

My current understanding of the bonded title process is pretty limited. It appears that I'm going to have to furnish a bill of sale(no problem) and a bond provider for the insurance, then find out if there are any leins against the vehicle or other potential problems. After that's it's a couple of forms and waiting to get a new title?

Offline Ranger Dave

• Survivor
Re: Anyone have experience with bonded titles? Bought a jeep with no title.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 05:49:51 AM »
Here in Oklahome we have Title 42. Contact your local tag agent or your local tow truck company. The tow truck company will be familar with the process. This is how they get title and sell vehicles they have picked up that have been abondoned.

RD

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 07:10:49 AM »
we have filed for a LOST TITLE with a bill of sale and been successful with getting a new title,but this is Louisiana.

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 07:24:26 AM »
A quick check of Tx.DMV.GOV should answer you questions . Your County service center can check for liens but from a quick check of that states site you need to go to a regional service center for a bonded title . The lean chack would be my first move .

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 11:06:01 AM »
we have filed for a LOST TITLE with a bill of sale and been successful with getting a new title,but this is Louisiana.

There is at least one service based in Louisiana that will get me a Louisiana title. A friend of the family has used it.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 11:09:51 AM »
A quick check of Tx.DMV.GOV should answer you questions . Your County service center can check for liens but from a quick check of that states site you need to go to a regional service center for a bonded title . The lean chack would be my first move .

I'm going to try to get the lien check done this week. Need to spend some more time on the dmv site to find out if the local DMV is the regional center or if I'm going to have to go elsewhere.