Author Topic: DIY Mechanics - I recommend this floor jack  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
DIY Mechanics - I recommend this floor jack
« on: January 11, 2017, 09:50:18 AM »
I spent some Christmas money on this "professional"  floor jack at Costco.

http://www.costco.com/.product.100222458.html?&EMID=B2C_2017_0111_TireSolo

I was prepared to spend almost as much for some Harbor Freight model of unknown quality, and I personally heard some good feedback.
I put this to the test last weekend when I changed out the break on the family SUV. 

Things I liked:
Partial aluminum, so lighter than some full size floor jacks
Lots of mechanical advantage
lower part of the rod used to pump is wrapped in padding to protect your car's body panels
Releasing the jack is just twisting the lever pipe counter clockwise, and you can control the speed with a little care

Bonus:  I had a stuck brake caliper bolt, and used the lever pipe as a breaker bar over my ratchet.  Worked perfectly :)

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
Re: DIY Mechanics - I recommend this floor jack
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 10:09:26 AM »
Nice, let us know how it holds up over time.  I need to get a good jack myself.  I'll keep this one in mind as I look.  Only bad thing I can see is it looks like it gets tall pretty quick which could make it tough to get under low cars.  GF has a honda civic, I drive a lifted truck and lifted jeep though.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 10:19:41 AM »
Nice, let us know how it holds up over time.  I need to get a good jack myself.  I'll keep this one in mind as I look.  Only bad thing I can see is it looks like it gets tall pretty quick which could make it tough to get under low cars.  GF has a honda civic, I drive a lifted truck and lifted jeep though.

It rolls under my Acura TL, which is similar to an Accord in terms of wheel base on clearance.  It may not be low enough to roll under the bumper all the way to the axle, but it can get to the jack lift points under the door frames just fine.

What I did/do is lift from each of the 4 points, add a jack stand, lower and move to the next.  It's a little tedious, but with an easy to use jack like this it's not really a chore.

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 10:23:36 AM »
Good deal.

I've had to drive a car up on ramps (2x blocks, I have some glued and screwed together.  I prefer to use them for oil changes rather than mess with a jack and stands) before to get a jack under the front crossmember.  It's not that big of a deal, but a long low jack might be a bit of a plus. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 10:53:47 AM »
looks like a nice jack...

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 11:47:39 AM »
I always did my own oil changes up until a year ago or so.  There's a really fair shop we use. With each service, not only do they check everything, but they take photos of tire tread, brake pads and color swatches of the various fluids, so you can track over time.  It's way better to spend $100 to flush and refill power steering fluid compared to replacing the pump,

That all said, I was happy to spend 3 hours in freezing weather to replace rotors and pads on all 4 wheels, as that saved me over $500 for the identical parts.