Author Topic: Toll Roads & E-Z Pass  (Read 6371 times)

Richard (richard)

Toll Roads & E-Z Pass
« on: October 23, 2016, 11:33:25 AM »
Any tips on using this for traveling across Illinois through New Jersey? How can I compose a Google map to navigate via the toll roads? We want to print out maps, we tend to not use the GPS much. We are using the book "Next Exit". Does the pass include motel deals?

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
Re: Toll Roads & E-Z Pass
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 10:45:14 AM »
EZPass links to a credit card or bank account. All interstates support it and I haven't found a toll road or bridge/tunnel that doesn't (from DC to Boston, anyway). Not really much to it.
There are no included deals or discounts that I am aware of apart from cheaper rates on some tolls. It's just a toll-payment mechanism.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 11:27:19 AM »
Note a couple things that has kept me from having EZ Pass. One, there is a $3 annual fee for having an account. Two, they push you to allow them direct debt from your checking account. If you don't allow direct debit and pay manually, then they charge an extra $10 rental fee for the unit on top of the $3 annual account fee. And the manual option is not available if you apply online.

Basically, it wasn't worth it for me. If I used it everyday, I would have one. But for the occasional trip or travel we do a few times a year, I will just take an extra minute to stop and pay cash.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 11:48:06 AM »
If I used it everyday, I would have one. But for the occasional trip or travel we do a few times a year, I will just take an extra minute to stop and pay cash.
I have one because I have to travel through the tunnel every day for work.  Instead of a $4 toll, my rate is $1.40.

As for the convenience factor, if you travel through the Baltimore tunnels on holiday weekends it will add quite a bit more than a minute to pay cash.  There are EZPass only lanes that don't back up and the cash lanes will be about 1/2 mile long.  So it may be worth it to snag it JUST for the trip you are taking and cancel it between trips.

Richard (richard)

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 11:51:06 AM »
Note a couple things that has kept me from having EZ Pass. One, there is a $3 annual fee for having an account. Two, they push you to allow them direct debt from your checking account. If you don't allow direct debit and pay manually, then they charge an extra $10 rental fee for the unit on top of the $3 annual account fee. And the manual option is not available if you apply online.

Basically, it wasn't worth it for me. If I used it everyday, I would have one. But for the occasional trip or travel we do a few times a year, I will just take an extra minute to stop and pay cash.
We signed up for direct payment and there is no extra cost involved. No $3 or $10 fee. It deducts at the end of the day. It is the cheapest I can see.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 12:03:50 PM »
our state is taking out the toll booths so anyone using the mass pike has to use ez pass or it will scan your plate and send you a bill but I think that way it will cost more

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 12:16:28 PM »
our state is taking out the toll booths so anyone using the mass pike has to use ez pass or it will scan your plate and send you a bill but I think that way it will cost more

Texas, at least in DFW area has no toll takers. It's all "tolltag" or plate reading with a bill in the mail. there is also zipcash or something where they run your plate but maybe they give you a discount if you have an account attached. It's super efficient but it means they can charge you more frequently depending on how far you travel you hit more "readers." It is rather expensive but I would think that the cost of paying salaries and benefits to all those toll takers would be more expensive. There are people handling the customer service side - you can call in if you have questions, pay bills, etc. But hopefully the cost of these is significantly less than toll takers.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 01:18:48 PM »
We signed up for direct payment and there is no extra cost involved. No $3 or $10 fee. It deducts at the end of the day. It is the cheapest I can see.

I based my post from information from the PA EZ Pass site. It may differ based on which state you are in.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
Delaware does not charge the annual fee for an ez-pass.

You can pick one up on the Delaware side of the Delaware Memorial Bridge if you pass there.

Jerseyboy

Offline fnfalguy

• Survivor
  • Ever learning...
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 06:25:58 PM »
NY doesn't have a fee either.  The time saved by not waiting in the cash lanes makes it worthwhile for me alone.  For the Mrs. Fnfalguy its worth it due to a specific package that allows unlimited travels along a stretch of road toll free (for a monthly cost)

Richard (richard)

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 08:20:21 PM »
I based my post from information from the PA EZ Pass site. It may differ based on which state you are in.
Sorry to dispute you on this but that is the state that we got our pass from. Perhaps you are dealing with obsolete info? We just got our pass/contract and no additional fees with the daily check account option. Look into it, you might have missed something.

Offline Skispcs

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 06:21:42 AM »
Some states do not charge any fees. You can get an EZ-Pass from almost any state, you do not have to live in the state you get your EZ-Pass from.

They work in most states and most toll booths in the NorthEast. The last time I was in Florida, the Sunpass system did not accept the EZPass. That information is at lest 2 years old though and it may have changed since then.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 10:18:54 AM »
Sorry to dispute you on this but that is the state that we got our pass from. Perhaps you are dealing with obsolete info? We just got our pass/contract and no additional fees with the daily check account option. Look into it, you might have missed something.

From the website https://www.paturnpike.com/toll/terms_privacyPolicy.aspx

DEPOSIT AND ACCOUNT BALANCE A one-time deposit of $10, plus a $3 non-refundable annual service fee, is required for each assigned E-ZPass transponder. If a form of automatic replenishment is chosen, the deposit is waived.

I dunno. Just reporting what I read.

Richard (richard)

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 12:13:07 PM »
Okay, guess what, we have our pass from N.Y. and there is no deposit or charge on what is called a PPT (pay per trip) standard plan. Our receipt/contract reads: Total Tag Deposit: $0.00, Total Mount Due for plans: $0.00

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 05:18:44 AM »
I live in ohio.  Got my ez pass in the mail from massachusetts.  I link the account to my credit card.  No fees and up to 4 free transponders.  Better deal than my home state.