Author Topic: Indiana Advice  (Read 787 times)

Offline edhand

• Prepper
Indiana Advice
« on: February 13, 2009, 01:29:07 PM »
My family is considering moving to Indiana for work and I was wondering what advice any who currently live in the state could offer.  Specifically, gun laws and homeschooling laws are of the most interest to us. 

I currently reside in Wisconsin and it looks at first blush like Indiana offers more gun rights to its citizens, conceal carry being one example. 

As far as homeschooling goes, HSLDA lists Indiana as a "green" state, meaning that parents have the right to homeschool without having to notify the government.  However, the law says that you need to provide attendance information to the Dept. of Education if they request it, and it looks like they're trying to make a blanket request for info.  The HSLDA states you only need to respond to an individual request, but I'd be curious if anyone on the forum has any experience with this.

Any advice, general or specific, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

Offline gpd240

• Survivor
Re: Indiana Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
Ed,

Indiana is a very liberal gun state. Our License to carry a handgun only require a background check and some fees. No classes. As long as you don't have any felonies and haven't pissed off the local Sheriff/Police Chief you should be good to go. I would suggest the Lifetime Permit. I think it's only $75.00 to the state and then whatever your local office charges for the background check and handling fee. ours is $35.00.  License is good to carry a handgun on their person, or in a vehicle. You need nothing to carry long rifles or possess a gun in your home. If you don;t go with Lifetime It's a 4 yr. license and costs about half of the lifetime.

I have several friends that home school, but I have no firsthand knowledge. they do have an annual Home school conference in Indianapolis sometime in April.

http://www.inhomeeducators.org/

try this site, they look to have quite a bit on info.

let me know if you have any more questions i'd be glad to try to help you out.

Offline edhand

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 09:14:01 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll take a look at the link for the Indiana home educators and see what they have to say.

Thanks again,
Ed

leatherneck

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 06:57:53 PM »
I feel pretty lucky to live in Indiana, We have very liberal gun laws like the lifetime carry permit that was mentioned earlier. Plus we have pretty a pretty good governor with Mitch Daniels.  Last time I checked Indiana is one of the few states with a balanced budget and no major debt.  Unfortunately we turned into a blue state last election, but only by a fraction. Overall, outside of the major cities most folks here are down to earth and still have some common sense.

Offline cmax001

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 07:19:35 PM »
edhand, coming to Indiana from Pennsylvania was a change for me. Northern Indiana is flat as hell, haven't been south of Indy but I'm told it gets a little less flat south of there. I recommend you stay away from the Gary area and ST Joe County ( South Bend) is pretty liberal and Democrat. Gary in my mind is too close to Chicago and just plain nasty.

Current unemployment rate in Elkhart is about 15.5 % advertised, much higher if you count the illegals who can't collect unemployment.

Gun Laws are very friendly, certain pockets of anti gun sentiment. The further south you go I believe the more accepted, life time carry permit big plus +.

Have friends who home school and as far as I know, there have been no issues.

Offline Uncle Bob (he ain’t right)

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 07:22:53 PM »
I know both west central and southern Indiana. What location are you looking at?

Offline woodsman

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 01:09:24 PM »
Hi everyone.  I also live in Wisconsin and am planning on moving back to Indiana next year, if things go well.  Still have some family down there and want to get out of WI (quicker, rather than later ::))

I'm interested in learning about available acreage in So. Indiana (Crawford Cty or close by).  Grew up in Floyd & Vanderburgh counties but prefer the counties that have some hills and rolling terrain as opposed to the flat lands.

I don't have to worry about school systems too much anymore, but really interested in some rural land with trees and a creek.

Look forward to talking with some fellow Hoosiers.  Thanks.