The TSP Marketplace > Backyard Food Production

Sugar Addiction

<< < (2/8) > >>

Spamity Calamity:
I wont argue that most of us get too much sugar in our diet. But cutting it out entirely is not a good thing either in fact its necessary for proper brain function. And let me get this straight forestgarden, you believe that a toe fungus was somehow making you crave sugar in order for it to survive?.

USAFRaven:

--- Quote from: Spamity Calamity on December 29, 2009, 05:37:02 PM --- you believe that a toe fungus was somehow making you crave sugar in order for it to survive?.

--- End quote ---

Not to be a jerk or mock anybody, But that is pretty damn funny. 
Oh and OP, grats on kicking something you felt was an addiction.

Morning Sunshine:
oh, I have a nasty addiction to sugar.  :(
it used to be much worse, but a semester spent in Italy cured me of most of it.  Don't get me wrong, the Italiani have dolce (sweets): the patisseries and gelatarias (oh, Italian gelato.... my mouth waters for the taste.  One day I will return for my gelato.  but I digress) are on every corner and have flavors to delight the tongue in so many varieties.  But they were not sugary.  I remember having a sugar craving so bad, and walking into a what-do-they-call-them-in-Italian? - a lunch bar, and there were some sugared donuts.  I thought I had died and gone to heaven.  I immedietly spent some of my meager student cash and bit in, expecting the sweet sugar rush to my tongue.  I almost spit it out.  the only sugar, I swear!, was on the top.  Well, after that, I no longer craved it.
I came home and still, 12 years later, get sick from too much sugar.  I will voluntarily stop eating when I know I have had too much.
But I still get sugar cravings.  and so I do not keep sweets in the house, and unfortunately for my children, almost never bake cookies or brownies and we only have desserts on nights we have beans (bribes!)
so congrats to you for kicking it to the curb.

--- Quote from: Spamity Calamity on December 29, 2009, 05:37:02 PM ---I wont argue that most of us get too much sugar in our diet. But cutting it out entirely is not a good thing either in fact its necessary for proper brain function. And let me get this straight forestgarden, you believe that a toe fungus was somehow making you crave sugar in order for it to survive?.

--- End quote ---

you could easily cut out white sugar and HFCS (pronounced "HiF-CuSs" in my house) completely and as long as you are eating fresh fruit and honey or maple sugar occasionally, you will have plenty of sugar in your system for brain functions.
And yes, fungus feeds on sugar.  So it is possible that the fungus was grabbing all the sugar out of the bloodstream to survive, leaving none in your body for the rest of you.  So then your body craved more sugar for its functioning (and its addiction), so you would eat more.  cyclical.
There is a great book called "Get the Sugar out" that has a lot of information about sugar and how to reduce your intake.  http://www.amazon.com/Get-Sugar-Out-Simple-Ways/dp/0517886537

Spamity Calamity:

--- Quote from: Morning Sunshine on December 31, 2009, 09:14:43 AM ---
you could easily cut out white sugar and HFCS (pronounced "HiF-CuSs" in my house) completely and as long as you are eating fresh fruit and honey or maple sugar occasionally, you will have plenty of sugar in your system for brain functions.
And yes, fungus feeds on sugar.  So it is possible that the fungus was grabbing all the sugar out of the bloodstream to survive, leaving none in your body for the rest of you.  So then your body craved more sugar for its functioning (and its addiction), so you would eat more.  cyclical.
There is a great book called "Get the Sugar out" that has a lot of information about sugar and how to reduce your intake.  http://www.amazon.com/Get-Sugar-Out-Simple-Ways/dp/0517886537

--- End quote ---

From what I have read on the subject there is a wide debate over what is the "correct" amount of sugar for proper brain functioning. Everybody seems to agree though that the brain doesnt like highs or lows, it likes a nice steady supply of moderate sugar intake. Sodas, alot of the oversugared processed foods give your brain a harsh spike of blood sugar and then leave it starving for more after a few hours which gives you the crash. I know I have recently started becoming aware of my sugar intake primarily as a way to lose weight and am working to cutting down my sugar intake. I pretty much agree with you getting rid of the refined white sugar and high fructose corn syrup and replacing it with fruit and more natural forms of sugar are a great start.

The fungus thing I think is a bunch of hooey. And why is this in the "back yard food production" forum? Dont we have some kind of health sub form we could move this too?

Morning Sunshine:
hey - look what I found on youtube... interesting!!!

Jorge Cruise's Film DEATH BY SUGAR

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version