The TSP Marketplace > Backyard Food Production

Sugar Addiction

<< < (8/8)

Dainty:

--- Quote from: LvsChant on August 07, 2010, 07:10:49 PM ---Artificial sweeteners give me a raging headache... so I have to either do the real sugar thing, or no sweetness at all :) I do occasionally test it out, but it was still the same last time I tried a diet soda. Happily, I can do quite well without soda at all, so no great loss. It seems far harder to do without all the homemade sweet things...
--- End quote ---

Lvs, two idea for you: Stevia (the actual ground up natural herb, not the refined commercial stuff) and/or miracle fruit. Either one is genuinely natural and except for in cases of an allergy shouldn't cause you a problem. And you can grow them, too!

mamabear:
I used to have a raging sweet tooth as well. I went on a diet that did not include them except for occasionally, and switched to diet pepsi (still not good for me I know). I followed the diet for quite some time, lost a lot of weight. Now, I have days when I crave sugar, you gals will know what I mean, but for the most part, it gives me a stomach ache if I consume too much. I mostly only eat whole grains when I do eat them, but try to stick with meats, fruits and veggies. I find that if I eat too much "stuff" with refined flour or sugar it makes me sick feeling. I would never go no sugar as I do know our bodies need it, in moderation, just like everything else in life.

OKGranny:
My Mother was the original healthy eating advocate (probably not really the first) back in the '50s. Soft drinks were rarely in the house, rarely as in she might by a 6 pack of Dr Pepper once a year and since I didn't and still don't like Dr Pepper I never drank any of it. Candy, snack food, junk food etc were never in the house. We all love veggies of almost any sort so we ate lots of them, a salad every night with oil and vinegar or oil and lemon juice dressing. All meats were baked or broiled or boiled, never fried. She did bake a cake or a pie or some brownies occasionally but not all that often. We ate very little bread, not a lot of cheese ( I had never even seen mac and cheese until I moved out, which probably explains why I don't like it), some potatos, usually baked or mashed, with very little butter and the liquid to mash them was usually the water they were cooked in with just a smidge of milk. I never developed a sugar addiction and to this day I get tired of sweets very easily. I never thought I was missing anything so I never felt deprived in any way. Looking back now I'm really really glad I got a good start. Of course then I got out in the real world and discovered most people thought I was nuts and refused to live on that diet and to this day DH and I battle. I feed him a healthy meal and he's immediately looking for junk food for dessert, even with the diabetes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version