Author Topic: 1800 solar usa  (Read 7169 times)

Offline ndredneck

• Prepper
  • buff maintenance
    • NoDak Arms
1800 solar usa
« on: November 15, 2015, 07:58:48 PM »
So here it goes.....I just signed a contract with 1800solarusa. I'm getting 28ea solar Maxx black series panels each with micro-inverters. It's a grid tie system that has an expected max out put of 7.45kw hr.
Does anyone else have any experience with these guys? I'll keep you all updated it how this turns out.....to include pics when the install comes.....

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: 1800 solar usa
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 09:04:32 PM »
I am interested in this, i keep looking into solar but keep finding it to costly

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 09:56:43 PM »
I have more of a concern in general about these contracts. Let me know if your contract did or didn't include the following

1. They own the panels
2. You pay them a monthly fee for the electricity which is set in price no matter how much you generate
3. They get all federal tax credits for the panels since they own them and not you.
4. They get your SRECs or whatever state credit your state offers
5. Your contract is 20 years
6. You are tied into the grid
7. When the grid goes down, your panels are cut off too and you have no power.
8. If you sell your house and the new owners do not want to sign the solar contract, your contract becomes due upon sale of the house.
9. The cost difference between your reduced electric bill and the cost of the solar contract may turn out to be net zero.

I know it sounds pessimistic but if those solar companies didn't make money, I wouldn't have sales people at my house every weekend, and robo phones calls twice a week

I hope your contract is different than the one I describe above.

Good luck
Jerseyboy

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 09:58:51 PM »
cool, not heard of them, let us know how it goes.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 05:37:47 AM »
So,you get solar....without the benefits of having solar.

you don't own the panels...
You are grid tied,no emergency power....
sounds like a great way to pay someone else for your power....
7 KWH time 5 hours or so a day is about $3.50 worth of power per day
I don't get it....I see no advantage or savings for the consumer.

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 02:24:08 PM »
:popcorn:  I'm in, I've never understood the appeal of these types of deals.  Maybe I will find out what I was missing. 

Offline ndredneck

• Prepper
  • buff maintenance
    • NoDak Arms
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 07:47:20 PM »
Thanks all for the replies,

We own the panels, tax credit......and our electric bill goes away(per the sales pitch)

Wyoming offers no benefit to alternative power generation

We will not sell the house until after everything is paid off(retirement plan includes staying put)

I ve been planning a sizable battery back up system....since I had the house built last year (gotta finish the basement first per the wife)and I'm sure if everything goes to poop....there's away to ungrid tie the system.

Correct the price tag is higher than I would like....but the overall cost of installation in loan format is still less than my power bill....so not ideal but at this point who cares who I pay if it's less.....and there are no monthly fees to the company.

I own 2 businesses so yes the entire time I was trying to figure out what they get out of it....it appears that the company is receiving gov money from the clean energy act.....and benefit from the total jobs they do.

No one seems to have a whole lot of info....so will keep up with this as it happens. And for those visual learners there will be pictures

Thanks again

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 10:18:04 PM »
That sounds better than most.

For the grid down scenario, the grid-tie inverter, the inverter does two things, the first is that it matches the phase of the grid power so when the grid sine wave is rising the inverter sine wave is also rising do they add together instead of cancelling each other out. The second thing it does is detect  voltage on the grid and shuts off when it doesn't detect grid voltage.

There are ways to make the grid tie inverter see voltage in the grid down scenario. Not all of them are safe or even legal.

The idea is that a battery with inverter take the place of the grid. You have to disconnect the grid first so you are not supplying electricity to the neighborhood or shocking linesmen trying to fix your line. Anything can provide that 'street' power such as a generator or a separate solar panel with a normal inverter.

The problem is getting it certified or done within local code which is mostly about safety. If you don't get this done under the original permit, it might get hard to do at all

If you do a battery bank, do a high voltage one like 48 volts to keep the amperage down.

Let us know how it goes

Jerseyboy

Offline Solarpro

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 08:15:48 PM »
Just keep in mind that you cannot add batteries (AC couple) micro inverters. Doing so will void your warranty. There is talk of the micro inverter manufacturers coming out with their own battery add on modules but you can bet that they'll be expensive. Also keep in mind that you should not be paying more than $2.20 per watt after applying the 30% tax credit for a grid tie solar system.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 10:24:11 PM »
Well, I guess you already signed.....But, you dont need such a company or terms to have solar ....

I had solar put in 16years ago, and supposedly it is less expensive now ? Anyways, it would be better, I think, to just secure your own financing ( Home Equity line or such) and put in the system you want.

If you want battery back up do not get microinverter, get a regular inverter !

I have a grid tied, battery back-up system. 48V ; 2.4kW panels rating for a nominal 2kW system. Inverter is almost this one, http://www.wholesalesolar.com/products.folder/inverter-folder/sw4048.html  But mine was from when they were still made in California. If I was buying now,  would seriously look a the Outback line of inverters and powerpoint tracking charge controllers.

If you realy want battery back up, get the correct inverter to allow it from the get go. It may be 1k more, but that is realy the only safe way to do it. So, to spend the same amount of money and have the more expensive inverter, get a smaller total kW system, (less panels). You can get by with lot less Kwhours than your household currently uses by instituting various efficiencies and changes that realy add up -- my house did.

Offline sfoute

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 08:45:29 PM »
Just signed contract for solar panels from 1-800-Solar-USA.  I noticed your post last November about purchasing from 1-800-Solar-USA.  Were you pleased and how is the system working for you?