Author Topic: Making Biltong Videos  (Read 8937 times)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Making Biltong Videos
« on: April 06, 2009, 07:45:43 PM »
Any questions or what have you from the Biltong vidoes.  As for phase three, it has been delayed because we got the munchies and ate all the biltong.  Phase three won't be much though just here is what finished biltong looks like. ;D

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Making Biltong Videos
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 11:39:29 PM »
How about for phase 4 you send out samples???

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:23:13 AM »
How about for phase 4 you send out samples???
LOL! That's actually not a bad idea. Biltong swap anyone?

Offline DeepSea1985

• Senior Survivalist
    • TN Tactical Supply
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 09:16:21 PM »
YUP..........Samples

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 05:26:30 PM »
Quick question about drying...

Its a little cooler here than Texas  :D  Would room temperature 16-20 degrees C (60-70 deg F) be ok to hang the meat or should I be looking at perhaps making a box with a bulb for some heat generation?

Great vids btw :)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 06:09:38 PM »
Quick question about drying...

Its a little cooler here than Texas  :D  Would room temperature 16-20 degrees C (60-70 deg F) be ok to hang the meat or should I be looking at perhaps making a box with a bulb for some heat generation?

Great vids btw :)

Traditionally it is made in the dry season in South Africa which is their winter.  Not frigid but quite cool.  The issue is humidity not heat, so that is the issue, I make mine inside my house, I would expect no challenges for you.  You can always make a box if you want but my experience is a climate controlled home is more then dry enough.

Offline Kellib

• Survivor
    • homestead101
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 03:26:03 PM »
We have made 3 batches already and we love it. Each batch is a little bigger than the last. But it gets eaten very quickly. We are up for some variation recipe exchanges if anyone has any. The last batch we added liquid smoke, garlic and sesame seeds on skirt steak that we cut across grain. I think we will try for skirt steak from now on. Does anyone think that swapping would be possible by mail or would the drug sniffing dogs eat the packages?

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 01:21:30 AM »
We have made 3 batches already and we love it. Each batch is a little bigger than the last. But it gets eaten very quickly. We are up for some variation recipe exchanges if anyone has any. The last batch we added liquid smoke, garlic and sesame seeds on skirt steak that we cut across grain. I think we will try for skirt steak from now on. Does anyone think that swapping would be possible by mail or would the drug sniffing dogs eat the packages?
Swapping is totally possible. I mean jerky gets shipped, I'm sure it would be fine. I'd insure just in case though.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 10:11:28 PM »
Swapping is totally possible. I mean jerky gets shipped, I'm sure it would be fine. I'd insure just in case though.

Shipping will be fine if the UPS Man doesn't figure out what is inside and some how "loose the package".  Biltong is best eaten hiding in a remote bugout location, dressed in full camo and well armed.   ;D

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 10:09:45 AM »
Biltong is best eaten hiding in a remote bugout location, dressed in full camo and well armed.   ;D

Do we call you the biltong-bag-hat brigade now?

We now know it isn't TEOTWAWKI that Jack's worried about, it's running out of Biltong!

Goatdog62

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 06:41:37 PM »
Hi Jack
 Started my biltong yesterday based on your Phase 1 and 2 videos. It is hanging now, but I can't find the Phase 3 video. Did you make one? If not, how long do I leave it hanging or how do I know its ready?

Thanks,
Goatdog

sage0925

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 08:12:12 PM »
Ok...color me stupid...what's a "biltong"?

Sage

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 09:00:14 PM »
Biltong is the southern Africa answer to jerky. 

Goatdog62,

I can not tell a lie I ate half the biltong and saved the rest for a third video.  Then before that happened I got into a few beers over a six pack on a late night of writing and um, well, um, ya see, it was hanging right in my office and well, I ate it.   ;D

It is done when it is hard and will break if you bend it.  It will feel light weight and look black and almost mummified you will know.  Much of the "done" is personal taste.  Some like it very wet inside, some like it totally dry, I like it slightly moist.  Once it is the way you want it ziplock bags will halt the drying process.  The shelf life is very long, Peter Capstick reported finding some sticks that were several years old and "still quite good but a bit dry" for his taste.

Goatdog62

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 09:13:29 PM »
Biltong is the southern Africa answer to jerky. 

Goatdog62,

I can not tell a lie I ate half the biltong and saved the rest for a third video.  Then before that happened I got into a few beers over a six pack on a late night of writing and um, well, um, ya see, it was hanging right in my office and well, I ate it.   ;D

It is done when it is hard and will break if you bend it.  It will feel light weight and look black and almost mummified you will know.  Much of the "done" is personal taste.  Some like it very wet inside, some like it totally dry, I like it slightly moist.  Once it is the way you want it ziplock bags will halt the drying process.  The shelf life is very long, Peter Capstick reported finding some sticks that were several years old and "still quite good but a bit dry" for his taste.

Thanks Jack. I hung it tonight (air conditioned cottage) and will check it daily. Sorta looks a little macabre around here now.

You could have said the dog jumped up on your desk and ate it. He can't defend himself.
So far my wife thinks the dog has lost my keys, left the toilet seat up, left my underwear on the floor, spilled coffee on the rug, and stunk up the bedroom. She hates him now, he doesn't know why. ;D

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 03:28:11 PM »
Finally got round to making biltong tonight :)

I did the first stage, cutting and cider vinegar and salting and its now in my fridge, ready for part two tomorrow :)