Author Topic: problem with TSP in internet explorer  (Read 4244 times)

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Pittsburgh Off-road cyclists
problem with TSP in internet explorer
« on: January 08, 2010, 08:45:44 AM »
was at my parents house and booted up IE (microsoft internet explorer), wanting to read up on the forum... noticed that the website navigation doesn't show up in IE... this is a major problem as this is still at least 60% to 70% of web users.

http://browsershots.org/http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/

IE8
http://img213.imageshack.us/i/100108090959msie80windo.png/

IE7
http://img503.imageshack.us/i/100108090629msie70windo.png/

Firefox 3.5 (notice the nav shows up)
http://img69.imageshack.us/i/100108091516firefox351w.png/

-Nick

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: problem with TSP in internet explorer
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 09:04:21 AM »
This Web User always uses Firefox.

:)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 11:30:47 AM »
I think this has something to do with bugs in MSIE's "box model" for laying out web pages.  I'm guessing the navigation tabs are beyond the right edge of the page.

It's odd that no one else has reported it -- but, on the other hand, who would notice something that isn't there?  You'd have to look at the page in both browsers, otherwise you'd never know anything was missing.  So maybe you're the first person to have done this.

BTW, the layout on my Firefox is different still.  The "Helping You Live..." tagline is too big to fit in the black space to the right of the logo, so it ends up below (white on white), with the four navigation tabs underneath.

Looks like Jack is gone for the weekend.  I don't know if it's Jack or SW who's responsible for that page, but I'll bring it to her attention (because I think she's been spending too much time lounging around doing nothing ;) ).

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 01:23:16 PM »
IE = the worst browser on the planet.  I asked Jack the same question after I saw a recent video that he did on "how to use the site" (was reviewing it for him).  I don't know WHY it does that on the main page, but *shrugs* there you have it.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 01:28:51 PM »
Oh also - I didn't code that page, and don't really have access to the code.  However, if it's Wordpress like I think it is, I'll work with Jack on fixing it for those of you who use MSIE.

Bill, that's a weird issue to be having.  It should be showing up in the deep gray part, since it's actually text, and not a graphic.  Strange strange strange.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 06:01:11 PM »
Dunno anything about Wordpress or other modern stuff.  I only do VERY simple hand-coded HTML and CSS.  But I looked at both for this page... and it's sorta messy in there.  I can see part of the problem is setting column width in px, and then expecting that text will fit in the allowed width.  Which is basically impossible, because the page designer can't force a particular font-face or font-size on the user.  (I have to shrink my font by 2 steps before the tagline appears in the black area, and another 2 steps before most things are really aligned properly.)

But it's more involved than that.  Why doesn't the tagline just word-wrap in the available space?  I'd have to understand the "box model" to answer that, which would require a transfusion of geek blood.  But that's probably also the key to ladieu's problem.

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 06:53:43 PM »
Yeah, the html and css of the word press theme is messed.

I suspect what's happening is IE's quirks mode box model is shrinking the size of .header, and the margin on #navtop is making .headright too wide to fit on the same line as .logotop. #navtop is also floated left, which kicks it out of the normal flow, and is probably why the screen shots of IE has the scroll bar at the bottom.

I just read a 500 page book on CSS last weekend, so it's fresh in my mind lol

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Pittsburgh Off-road cyclists
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 03:11:38 PM »
It isn't such a big deal since the middle column has all the same links... but for what it is worth
from my css guru at work:

in IE, it usually doubles the margins for some odd reason. If he set it as half in the IE style sheet, might fix it.

Code: [Select]
#navtop
{
float: left;
margin: 24px 0px 0px 465px;
font-size: 75%;
text-align: center;
}

don't know if that will work or not but I try to help where I can. I don't want some low tech user who just uses IE because it was on his computer to get confused.