Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Emergency Preparations

How long will stored water keep?

<< < (2/2)

Gamer:
Thanks everybody, in an apocalypse the food shelves might be empty and the taps run dry, and as we can live much longer without food than without water, water is top priority.
I live 50 yards from the Atlantic but won't be able to drink a drop of it unless I get rid of the salt.
I suppose I could rig up a simple still if I knew how, but that'd need fuel for the burner and fuel eventually runs out.
I'm surprised nobody (as far as I know) hasn't invented a simple filter or membrane that can get rid of the salt.

Fixit:
That close to a large body of water a solar still would work .

Hurricane:

--- Quote from: Gamer on October 04, 2020, 02:52:19 AM ---
I live 50 yards from the Atlantic but won't be able to drink a drop of it unless I get rid of the salt.
I suppose I could rig up a simple still if I knew how, but that'd need fuel for the burner and fuel eventually runs out.
I'm surprised nobody (as far as I know) hasn't invented a simple filter or membrane that can get rid of the salt.

--- End quote ---
Look at ship-board "watermakers". I believe they are usually reverse-osmosis units.
You might be able to find a used one. New ones can be pricey.

Gamer:

--- Quote from: Fixit on October 04, 2020, 05:02:53 AM ---That close to a large body of water a solar still would work .

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Hurricane on October 04, 2020, 06:33:12 AM ---Look at ship-board "watermakers". I believe they are usually reverse-osmosis units.
You might be able to find a used one. New ones can be pricey.

--- End quote ---

Yeah I've googled around but an extra problem is that I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment block with no garden or anywhere to set up a still (sniffle)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version